Find
Notify
Tools

unusual african camouflage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
Well aside from the dangerous game that’s most often the focus of a safari , we had a very interesting experience today and employed a well known but non conventional method to get close to our game –

I was hunting with John C, who wanted a Thompsons gazelle , as you may know these beautiful little animals inhabit the very most open of plains , they are skittish and very aware of their surroundings BUT , and I emphasis the but_ they live where there are lots of massai .

Well early in the morning we spotted a small group , there were two males with the group , one a little larger than the other – Then from atop the vehicle we watched from about a Kilometre away as a massai walked within 50 yards – now I will tell you this , on foot you are lucky to get within 300 yards so I decided to try something I had only ever used on grants and wildebeest –

Off we went to the massai market 15 minutes away - returning with three shukas ( massai red covers that look actually like tablecloths)- one for me , one for john and one for samueli , my tracker.

Me and samueli in our massai shukas !

then instead of trying to use cover , stalk carefully and stay out of sight as one would normally we do - we just wandered out there – not straight towards the group but at an angle that would get us within shooting range.Our luck was out and as we got on the sticks at about 100 yards the one male decided to chase the other and in what seemed to be a blink of the eye they were out to 6 or 700 yards – again we just walked towards them and again got within shooting range but this time a herd of cows in the background made it impossible to shoot ,fraustrating as he just stood there at 80 yards shaking his tail ! then suddenly he was off again, this time after a female he fancied !

third time lucky, this time about 110 yards and here he is – I am not sure that we looked like massai but the tommy thought we did !!! and given the surroundings it was the perfect camo !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I enjoy these stories of folks being creative. I saw an episode of Under Wild Skies where they were using black umbrellas to approach buffalo and that seemed to work too. The hunter is left with a neat experience and a cool souvenir to boot.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Neat! Just proves the 'when in Rome' methdology really works!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure that we looked like massai but the tommy thought we did !!!

....and that is what MATTERS. tu2

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story and a great way to improvise!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sherrill Philip Neese
posted Hide Post
What a memorable hunt! There will be some good stories to tell.

DSC, DU, MBS, NRA, QDMA, RGS, RMEF, SCI

"Sherrill. Why do you belong to so many organizations?"
"Well... I have this thing for banquets."

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we did the same thing in tanzania for zebra back in 2005. it would have bneen nice to launder a little of the odor from it before using. Cool

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Did the same thing with my PH Francois Loubser in 04 taking a Grant's. He used red blankets right out of the bag, so we were sure they didn't have any critters living in them. It was great fun!

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We used to call that "going native" and it was a sure indication that one had been there too long.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote