New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy insurance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a shipment of raw trophies ready to be sent from Namibia. The shipper (Namibia Safari Services) is offering comprehensive insurance for 1.6% of value. Has anyone used comp. insurance and had a claim? The information says that all claims must be backed by information that I provide (receipts, invoices, etc.) I have all of this information via my credit card company and my outfitter. I am wondering if I should add everyting up and use that value as my insurance basis or is there some standard formula to use? I would like to insure everything, but as this is my first time doing this I am not sure how it works. Can anyone offer assistance?

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting Trophy Queen
posted Hide Post
Under the Warsaw Convention your shipment is automatically covered at $20. per chargeable kilo of weight. Since your trophy shipment appears to be of a dip and pack nature only the value would be derived from the taxidermy work value not the actual hunt value. You can request the full value of your hunt but the underwriters from the insurance company will require a great deal of paperwork. If any consolation I rarely have seen any losses in the 14 years I have been doing this kind of work.

Carolyn Rutkowski
Consultant, Hunting Trophy Division
Coppersmith Inc.
TheRutkowskis@aol.com

Posts: 53 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
JILEK:
Do not use them for anything, especially insurance on your trophies! If you can, change brokers/shippers. Namsaf will screw you. Believe me, I know.
I used them a couple years ago. My trophies were shipped in cardboard boxes. I've posted pics of the damage and the shipping boxes on this site. Do a search to see them.
Hartebeast skull broken, Warthog tusks completely missing. Springbok skull missing.
The insurance I bought from them, agreeded to pay, USD $1,640. That was for "replacement of trophies of equivalent value,taxidermy and shipping!"
They then told me the taxidermist would replace my loss for no cost. Yea, right, I want trophies from somewhere else?
They then paid the taxidermist with my insurance money without my approval.
It wound up with them owing me $164USD. They would not pay me that amount because a bank transfer cost them $35USD.
They still owe me $164USD. I figured I would cost old Harold much more than $164USD by spreading the word on what a screwing I got.
I can prove every word I post, with emails.
If you can change brokers/shippers at this point, do it.
If you deal with Namsaf, you will get screwed big time. Do a search on this site. There are other shipper/brokers in Namibia who are honest and dependable.
Good luck, buddy.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
JILEK, TJ is right !!!, I recomend to contact Peter de Villiers: [EMAIL]peter@ifn.com.na <peter@ifn.com.na>[/EMAIL] at IFN ; http://www.ifn.com.na/, the get all papers, insurance, pack and dip ready in one week, and he send the trophy only two days!!! acording my taxidermist the trophies arrived in excelent condition, like just hunted!!!See my recent post of hunt in Namibia https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/648104176 and IFN services https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8121043/m/235106827 , A pleasure to help another hunter and avoid that honorable people become victim of unscruples busines men. Regards Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote