New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms for plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I are headed to SA in Aug of 2009 for a plains game hunt to include Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Impala,Blue Wildebeast, Red Hartebeest, Warthog, Blesbok, and Steenbok. We thought of taking two rifles since both of us will be hunting, one a 375 H&H, the other a 300WSM. Do you feel these would be appropriate for the listed animals, or should a third rifle be taken as a backup, most likely a 7mm Rem mag.

Opinions?

Thanks

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
When I read your title 'Firearms for Plains Game' I was going to say that I didn't think plains game could shoot rifles........ Wink

However, although to some extent it'll depend on what type of area you'll be hunting as a rule of thumb anything like a .30 or a 375 will be perfectly adequate and if you're taking two rifles, I'd say a third isn't really necessary.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
For palins game in RSA, I'd be prone to take the 300WSM, and the 7mm Mag, and only take the 375 H&H if you intend takeing Eland as well!

Those two rifles will do anything needed for the animals you list, as long as proper scopes, and loads are used! Of course if you just want your 375 H&H along simply because it is an African classic, that is a legitimate reason to take it, and it will do anything the other two will, as well. So I guess it all boils down to personal choice! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The .300 WSM and the 7 mm mag should be plenty for everything, including Eland. I shot my Eland with a .300 WSM and dropped it in its tracks. I've killed over 80 plains game, and a majority of them have been shot with the .300 WSM. The .375 H&H is an African classic for sure, but I don't think that it would be necessary on your hunt. Just my two cents' worth.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I agree with the recommendation to take the 7mm rm and .300wsm. No need for a .375 on plains game. Eland can be killed with a well placed shot from the .300wsm. Use heavy for caliber premium bullets. I like the Swift A-Frame, which came out best of 4 premium bullets we tested on game while on safari in RSA and Zambia in 1999. I've used it exclusively since those tests on everything up to and including Cape Eland.

Enjoy and good luck.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
On my last trip to RSA, I used a 375 H&H Magnum for my varmint gun. I agree, it's not needed for plains game but it's accurate with plenty of powder when you need it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
there was a poster here a few months ago who seemed to feel that a 416 Wby was the ideal plains game round. man did that generate some comments. the 300 WSM is plenty enough for everything on your list. i might take the 375 for the hell of it but there sure isn't any need for a third rifle.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Those two rifles 300 and 375 will cover all bases... Drop that 375 pill to a 270gr bullet and it will shoot a very long way...
I am speaking with experience with a 375... Have a great safari...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm mag with 160 A Frames works admirably well.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
If in a non-DG area, forget the .375 and take an identical pair of 30 cal guns pushing 220 grian bullets for everything up to and including Eland. If you are somewhere that also has DG, take a matched pair of 375s.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those two rifles 300 and 375 will cover all bases... Drop that 375 pill to a 270gr bullet and it will shoot a very long way...

agree 100% thumb

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I am speaking with experience with a 375... Have a great safari...

Mike

thumb

If you have a super premium 165-170 grain bullet in the 300WSM (try the Lapua Naturalis 170 LR) and a 270 grainer in the 375 then you have all the PG bases covered...........

Put the best scopes on them that you can and mount them in dual dovetail mounts, screwed and glued to the receivers and take the very best binos and you'll have a great hunt.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For plains game only, including eland, a 375 is not really needed.

I have used various 270 wildcats and a 30/404 on my last trip.

Worked very well on everything, to the extent that it will be the only rifle I use on future plains game only hunts.

The more I hunt, the more I tend to lean towards a single rifle on any particular hunt.

This was brought home to us this year when an eland was shot at 400 yards and a waterbuck at 450. Both with a 375/404, which is used for everything when buffalo are the normal game hunted.

It is more important to hit them in the right place. As no matter how big the caliber is, if they are hit in the wrong place, they ain't going to die very quickly.

On the waterbuck mentioned above, my first shot hit him in the front leg, just below the chest. A very unkilling wound.

The second was through the chest, and killed him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 07 December 2008 19:56 Hide Post
When I read your title 'Firearms for Plains Game' I was going to say that I didn't think plains game could shoot rifles........ Wink

must have been a long nite at the pub eh!

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as others above, any 300 cal rifle and the 7mm would do well.
on three trips for plains game, I used a 300winmag with great results (180 grain bullets)

If you want to use the 375,
I used 260gr Accubond bullets in my 375 H&H with excellent results. the 260's will improve (flatter) trajectory and get great penetration
and plenty of knock-down BOOM

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
If in a non-DG area, forget the .375 and take an identical pair of 30 cal guns pushing 220 grian bullets for everything up to and including Eland. If you are somewhere that also has DG, take a matched pair of 375s.

JMHO

This is true nothing bigger than a hot 30 cal in needed, for plains game in RSA! However, if you take two identical 30 cal, or any other caliber, they will have to be in seperate cases, and the ammo for each will need to be seperate as well. RSA doesn't allow one person to take two rifles of the same chambering into the countery. So one will have be checked for each person hunting. One for him, and the other for his wife! It is a silly rule, but rule none the less! bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I have taken a .375 H&H and a .308 Win for plains game and that combination worked well for me and my son. For my next PG hunt, however, we will be taking a .338 WinMag and a 7x57 Mauser.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the three, I'd take the one that you shoot best, and the one that your wife shoots best.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
TerryR has the right idea.

For your first PG hunt in South Africa, take the rifles that you and your wife have the most confidence shooting. Pair them with premium bullets (Nosler Partition, Barnes Triple Shock, Swift A-Frame) at the heavy end of the spectrum (160-175gr for 7mm, 180-200gr for 30 cal) and practice, practice, practice! Confidence borne of practice and bullet placement are the keys to success.

Then enjoy your hunt!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Terry and Stealth have the right idea. I have just completed a plains game hunt for all the animals you list. We used a .308 and .243 without problems.

What type of terrain will you be shooting over? If ranges will be long then your choice of rifle and projectile may vary to what is needed for shorter ranges.

The 7mm with premium ammo will handle all the game you list.

As Saeed said, one rifle is enough and you save weight in your baggage.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking just two, the .375 H&H and .300 WSM is your best bet for ease of clearing Customs. Put them both in your name. From a hunting standpoint, two good cartridges.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote