THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia for bowhunting... Outfitters?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia for bowhunting... Outfitters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need recommendations for a reputable Outfitter who can provide an awesome PG safari for (4) bowhunters in Namibia, they will be all first-timers to Africa!

Hunting over water-holes is ok, but also want the opportunity to spotn'stalk when desired...

Thanks tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Talk to Roger Coomber, he posts here as Nam Pom.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Antonie Louw at Makalaan Safaris http://www.makalaan-safaris.com/Home
The big factor on spot and stalk is time of year. High grass and some leaves on every tree and bush will make getting close possible, of course it also makes seeing anything other than at water holes a challenge.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Makalaan. I saw more trophy animals per day there than any other place I have been in Africa.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
Talk to Roger Coomber, he posts here as Nam Pom.

Karl beat me to it.

PM me for details Late-Boomer - I'll be happy to help!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 554 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Another plug for Antonie and Melinda Louw of Makalaan Safaris. Their San Bushman tracker "Fritz" is magic in the bush.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
is Neil SUmmers in the running?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give two references: one to a PH/hunting operation and one to an agent.

I've bowhunted twice in Namibia with Alan Cilliers and his son Wayne. I think they go by Alan Cilliers Bowhunting Safaris, or something similar of late. Alan has gone back to big game for the most part, but Wayne is staying with bowhunting from what I last heard. Great family. Great hunters. Opportunity to hunt with the Bushmen, who are the greatest trackers I've ever seen.

They hunt just East of Eden -- pun intended, but for those of you who know where Eden is, that narrows it down a bit. Kudu and Gemsbok are practically a given. Hartebeest are tough with a bow anywhere, as are zebra, but there are likely to be opportunities.

Talk to Neil Summers at Bowhunting Safari Consultants. He books for Alan, and if that's not for you, he might well have something else that is.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Neil Summers @ Bowhunting Safari Consultants. Neil has more African bowhunting experience than anyone else I know. Neil personally visits/hunts ALL the locations he books for in Africa. I also have several friends who have bowhunted with the Cilliers and they are a top drawer outfit. Hunting with their Bushman trackers is something real special from all the accounts I have had.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
Another plug for Antonie and Melinda Louw of Makalaan Safaris. Their San Bushman tracker "Fritz" is magic in the bush.

I will weigh in for Makalaan also. Plan to be back there this July for some more of that great bowhunting.Two of the finest people I have ever met.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another vote for Makalaan,,, all three trips there over the years exceeded my expectations. You won't find a more hunter friendly place and great food and accomodations...

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Keerweder Safaris!
They don't really push bowhunting but will do bow hunts last I heard from them. (My wife wants to bring her bow when we go back to them so...)

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know anything about Keerweder Safaris and do not direct this post at them specifically, but...I would very much advise against booking a bowhunt with someone who will accomodate bowhunters as opposed to someone who caters exclusively to bowhunters.

I have hunted with a few outfitters that were happy to take bowhunters, but when we arrived they were not even vaguely prepared to deal with bowhunters and in some instances actually seemed to merely tolerate our proclivities much more than embrace them.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
I do not know anything about Keerweder Safaris and do not direct this post at them specifically, but...I would very much advise against booking a bowhunt with someone who will accomodate bowhunters as opposed to someone who caters exclusively to bowhunters.

I have hunted with a few outfitters that were happy to take bowhunters, but when we arrived they were not even vaguely prepared to deal with bowhunters and in some instances actually seemed to merely tolerate our proclivities much more than embrace them.

Yes, I'm finding an outfitter as such for this group...I mirror your sentiments for the reasons you stated... Thanks!!! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Just PM'd you info on Tholo. He is set up for bowhunters! Nice blinds and a huge 110,000 acre property.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antonie Louw is a good guy and hunter. You should expect above average to very good trophies with him as well. I don't think he uses Fritz anymore.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote