New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Dakota Caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I talked with Dakota Arms today and they are indeed coming out with a .423 caliber based on the necked up .338 Lapua case. It should offer considerably more velocity than the current .404 Dakota. I think this cartridge shows promise. What does the Forum think?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't need one that big, but it will kill animals Smiler

THIS IS NOT PUBLIC YET BUT:

They are doing it for business reasons- DAKOTA has contracted Lapua to make all of their brass- 2 years of R&D for some calibers to come out of the production line. As a result, Dakota is warming up to Lapua and making this cartridge based on the .338 LAPUA.

I got the scoop while at the SHOT SHOW- direct from Dakota people.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I also talked to the Dakota staff at the SCI Convention. They also said that the reason for the development was to get closer to Lapua. They were being very cute otherwise.

If you look at the .338 Lapua case it is designed for high pressures and lots of velocity, something you would like in a military cartridge. Then you load it with bullets that show their best performance with velocities in the 2,250 to 2,450 fps range. Unless you plan on backing up to let the bullet slow down, something does not compute.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a wise as$, but I wasn't aware that any of the .404 offerings were too slow, unless of course you plan on sniping at dangerous game from a great distance.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The .338 Laupa has the accuracy and downrange energy to take an elk at 400+ yards (assuming perfect conditions, measured range, etc.) If I practiced at those ranges and the opportunity presented itself, I just may shoot an elk that far away... but..

I guess the new .423 will do the same to a buffalo???? But who the heck is going to shoot a buffalo at 200 yards, much less 400? It kind of defeats the whole purpose, IMHO... (Saeed, of course, excepted Big Grin )

In other words, what's the purpose of the beast?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
In other words, what's the purpose of the beast?

$$$$$

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Some of this is news to me.

We have discussed this before, and I have been poo-poo'ed for thinking it was a good idea. Big Grin

I have a couple of CZ's in .45 Lapua, one rebarrel, one rechamber only. I have ordered a Dakota 76 action to build a .375 Lapua with.

I would like to have a takedown Dakota 76 in .423 Lapua plus .338 Lapua.

Yes, I shoot at least as well as Saeed does. Wink

I guess that Jamison will not be making the Dakota brass after his solitary run of .404 Dakota.

Hey, I have always been fascinated by the .338 Lapua Magnum and its great brass. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dakota would be doing the shooting public a service to just chamber their rifles in .404 Jeffery or .416 Rem instead of creating another factory wildcat for which ammo & components will not be easy to find in the USA, and impossible to find in Africa.

But if having a rifle in that caliber gives someone a charge, more power to him. The purchasers of such rifles should be aware that resale value might be limited, however.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see Dakota bring out the full range of calibres on the 338 Lapua case, say from 270 to 45.

They would look great, have RUM capacity and buyers would know they could always make brass from 338 Lapua. It would be like a sort of conservative version of Wby calibres based on the 378 case.

With the 338 Lapua as the basis of the calibres I bet they would sell a lot more rifles in "Dakota" calibres than what they currently sell.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another solution for which there is no problem!

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
... The purchasers of such rifles should be aware that resale value might be limited, however.

500groans,
There you go again, always worrying about money! thumbdown Loosen up!

Mike375,
I'll take one of each from .30 to .45 caliber. thumb And throw in a .270 just for tee-hees.

Rich,
Hey, who needs motorcycles? bewildered To each his own hotrod! beer

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote