Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R-93 For DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
Does the Blaser R-93 warrant serious consideration as a DG hunting Rifle?
They now have a safari model with heavy barrel in 375 H & H and 416 Rem.

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to use a Bolt Rifle for DG I would not hesitate to use my Blaser R 93. I would get a Safari 416 bbl for Africa. I already have 2 375 H&H bbls. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not use a Blaser for DG for the following reasons:

1. THe safety is slow.

2. It's a push feed.

3. They feel funny compared to the rifles I am used to.

4. The internals are plastic (not my taste).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
Taking one in 375 H&H in May.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

1. THe safety is slow.

2. It's a push feed.

3. They feel funny compared to the rifles I am used to.

4. The internals are plastic (not my taste).

1. There is no safety. It is hand cocking and needs some training.

2. ok, but that doesn´t matter.

3. What does it mean? With the safari bull barrels it is well balanced.

4. There is no single part of plastic in my R93.

But:
5. It is a very affordable solution for left handed, better to say for left eyed, but right handed, who has to shoot left.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Serious consideration? I don't know about that, but I have actually used mine on dangerous game and more than once.

I especially like the decocker since the rifle can be safely carried with a round in the chamber at all times. I have no problem manipulating it very quickly, but it does take some practice to get used to it.

Most importantly, the R93 is absolutely reliable and has never failed me in any way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Any gun can be carried with one in the pipe with proper training and awareness, I should say anything worth owning..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470FAN
posted Hide Post
I seriously considered using mine in 416 but I wanted to harvest a buffalo with my Chapuis 470. I would use it and not think twice. My R93 has become my standard hunting rifle. I took a nice 8 point bull in Arizona this year with the 338 Win Mag Barrel. I can cycle it so much faster than any bolt I own.

Posts: 155 | Location: Susanville, CA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
plus while not hunting it is an excellent fence pole pounder

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:
3. What does it mean? With the safari bull barrels it is well balanced.

I find that Blasers balance differently than a Mauser or M70, and that they also recoil differently. It is something I would have to get used to and I did not immediately like it. That is of course personal preference.

quote:

4. There is no single part of plastic in my R93.

The ones I have handled and fired had a plastic magazine thing (it's not a follower, but I am not sure what to call it). Isn't there a rubber thing on the bolt fingers too?

quote:

But:
5. It is a very affordable solution for left handed, better to say for left eyed, but right handed, who has to shoot left.

Yes, unfortunately there are not many options for left handed shooters.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

1. There are plenty of Mausers around roflmao

2. Blaser R-93 is a push feed Razzer

3. The "magazines" are plastic, not easy to fill up quickly...

4. There are still reasonably priced doubles on the market Big Grin Big Grin

beer

/ JOHAN

Picture of 500NE
posted Hide Post
Hi Hugh,

I own two R93's, both plastic stock, with currently 3 barrels in 30-06, 9,3x62 and 416RemMag. I also used them in Africa three times by now, once on buffalo.

Is the R93 my favourite choice for Dangerous Game?
No!

On the downside,
- it's (to) sensitive to dust/dirt (there are some tricks with isolating tape to improve that somewhat)
- it doesn't have a controlled round feed
- if the action is not all the way forward, it will not fire! (Normally only a problem if you're closing the action to slowly...)
- factory trigger pull is light for DG
- price

HOWEVER there are a couple of very positive things about this rifle:

- it's FAST: the next best thing to a semi-auto for follow-up shots
- Barrel exchange: works very well
- Accuracy: superb
- Manual Cocking System: my favorite
- Take-Down capability: a beauty for travelling!

So, as to DG capability, you certainly have to set priorities what is important to you in a rifle, but the Blaser is certainly not the worst choice...

Possible Other Alternative:
There is also the new Mauser 03 model out now, that offers a conventional bolt action PLUS most of the advantages of the R93!
(Actually not very suprising, once one realises that Mauser is owned by Blaser nowerdays... )

Conclusio:
I'm really fond of my R93's, but as real DGR's I now own a 500NE double rifle and a 416 Rigby rifle w/ Mauser 98 action.
(And very much looking fwd to putting both into action on something worthwhile as soon as possible !

Cheers,
500NE

Posts: 23 | Location: Vienna, Austria | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a bunch of rifles including a R93.

I wouldn't want to hunt alone with it, as I think a mauser is a better system. By this I mean on my own in Alaska for brown bear. As I am an Alaska resident.

I would not want to hunt elephant with it as I would want a .458 500+grain bullet.

I wouldn't want to hunt with it someplace really dusty. The Remington M700 isn't any better in the dust. My own M700 Custom KS mountain rifle having to be thrown in the creek for cleaning many times while hunting on the back of a polaris 4x4 for elk in Wyoming.

With a PH or Guide who is properly equipped, of course! How many times is the average guy going to go after cape buffalo, lion, or rhino without a properly kitted PH?

NOT ONCE IS MY BET, TAKE YOUR R93 AND A SPARE BARREL IN 338 OR 30-06 FOR KUDU.

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was very refreshing to see a balanced view of the R93 for DG - as opposed to the usual polarized opinions this rifle seems to solicit. I can certainly see some of the points made - even though I don't get hung up on issues CRF or not. Life is just too short for those arguments.

One thing I wanted to add to the latter part of discussion, was that a German hunting magazine (I believe it was "Wild und Hund"??) actually tested the R93 in an environment that simulated very dusty conditions, and the R93 came through with flying colours. I'm not going to pretend this represents the final truth about the matter, but I thought it was an interesting addition to the discussion.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
One "serious" limitation is the DG caliber range of the R93. You've got the 375 and the 416 Remington as factory options. Do they make it in anything else above the 375?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
One "serious" limitation is the DG caliber range of the R93. You've got the 375 and the 416 Remington as factory options. Do they make it in anything else above the 375?

No.

But got to Big Bores Forum, Blaser R93 .375

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I not only will not hunt dangerous game with a Blazer, but I will not buy one for any type of hunting! They look like the result of a Remington 700, that got drunk, and slept with a Marlin lever action. Ended up with the draw backs of each! "UGLY, and PUSH FEED" troll

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I not only will not hunt dangerous game with a Blazer, but I will not buy one for any type of hunting! They look like the result of a Remington 700, that got drunk, and slept with a Marlin lever action. Ended up with the draw backs of each! "UGLY, and PUSH FEED" troll

Mac
Wow!
Best thing I have read in long time jump

troll
Cheers beer
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Come on . . . can't you guys do any better than that? sleep Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have used the R93 on dangerous game I find it to be very satisfactory. I have never had any feeding problems or in any condition failure to fire. They have beem taken all over Africa and never had a problem. I will use my .416 on an elephant next year. So far my Blasers have accountanted for several buffalo, a leopard, and 100's of head of African game. I have never had a failure.

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw Mac, don't worry. One day you'll grow up and want to play with BIG BOY guns!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac
I will bring a R 93 and some ammo on our DRSS hunt so you guys can shoot one.

But be warned they are like crack cocaine, addictive. Eeker eek2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Aw Mac, don't worry. One day you'll grow up and want to play with BIG BOY guns!

jump Is an m16 a big boy gun? roflmao

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mac
I will bring a R 93 and some ammo on our DRSS hunt so you guys can shoot one.

But be warned they are like crack cocaine, addictive. Eeker eek2

Hey Tony, I swore off PF bolt action trash a long time ago! Big Grin nut

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is an m16 a big boy gun?

Well seeing as they cost more than a lot of double rifles I consider them big boy guns. And for your viewing pleasure a couple of M16's from the full auto collection. Bring on the elephants! Rat tat tat tat.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote