New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX or Accubond ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have narrowed my choice of bullets down to the TSX and the Accubonds, since both are 160gr, and shoot well from my 7mmRemMag. I will be hunting Namibia for Kudu,Mtn Zebra, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Springbuck, Warthog, and hopefully leopard. I know that the TSX is a tougher bullet, but the Accubonds are supposedly pretty tough too. I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with either bullet. That said, I believe you should use the tougher bullet (except maybe on the springbok).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar, I've used the Barnes X bullet on two safaris to take nine of the large African antelope, including two gemsbok, two kudu, eland, red heartebeest, zebra and two wildebeest. I'm sold on Barnes bullets for the larger antelope.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many praise the X for large game but it works just fine on the small ones too. I have taken 2 whitetail deer at 80 yards, a springbok at 120 yards, and a blesbok @200 yards in addition to a kudu at 200. All but the blesbok went right down, the blesbok ran 25 yards. 300 WSM with the 180 grain TSX at 2970 fps. No recovered bullets.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What load were you using? I am about to work up a load in a M70 .300 WSM that Hill Country Rifles is finishing. I have always shot Barnes,recently XLC's, and after hearing Terry Blauwkamp expound the virtues of the TSX, I am going to have to try some myself. Did you chronograph your loads, or is that the "book" velocity? What kind of accuracy? I sure would like to compare loads. Thanks.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The load is 65.0 grains of IMR4350 , Fed 210 primer, Win. cases, seated .040 off the lands. I have chronographed the load, the actual average is 2972 fps. Since the accuracy was right about 1/2 MOA and I had duplicated factory stated velocity I chose to go no higher especially for hunting in the heat. Work up please, the TSX had 3 rings in the 180 gr. 30 Cal at first and now has 4 rings. There was a slight change in the ogive that resulted in being able to use the same COAL but ending up a touch closer to the lands. With the 4 ring bullet my velocities went up about 25 fps. The 3 ring was used on whitetail the african game was all shot with the newer 4 ring bullet.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the load info. I will try this one first(working up to it)and report the results.I agree, no additional velocity should be needed with such a bullet.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote