Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 9.3x62 and 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

Since I�m still limping around the house I have plenty of time to construct different problems and potential solutions. I�ve sent my 9.3x62 to my gunsmith for restocking and Boha supplied me with a nice Mauser in 6.5x55 that is also to be restocked and tuned.

Now my problem is this: I�ll be using the 9.3 for elk and whitetail which involves shooting during the day but also some twilight work. The 6.5 is mainly for my sons who will be coming along for an African hunt (plainsgame) in -06. The scope for the 6.5 should therefore have pretty much the same qualities. I was thinking of a Leupold 3-9x50 for one and something in the line of 2-6x40 for the other. Then again I could save money using the same scope on both guns if I used a detachable mount.

What are your thoughts on this? What would be a good scope -which would have to be some sort of compromise- for this project?

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Zeiss 2,5-10x50 ? It's relatively lightweighted and works great in low light-conditions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Erik D: When the kids want the 6.5 I�ll just opt for my .375 H&H! Seriously you have a point but a second scope could be bought later on.

Atkinson: I have two Leupolds, both 1-4 and they work beautifully on the bigger guns (boha calls my .416 a medium bore...). I do quite a lot of stand hunting in twilight conditions but I don�t feel that I need a +50 scope, maybe 40-42 would do?

Looks like I�ll have to check this with my gunsmith and see what�s feasible.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I use a 3-9 x 40 Leupold on my 9.3x62, I do a fair amount of shooting at full moon and have no problems, even in less than full moon the leupold works great, I love it on the 9.3 and will not take it off for any other scope

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Cewe,
I have a pair of Husqvarna 1600 Special (nicer wood, smoother action etc than the standard model)in caliber 9,3x62 and 7x64 Brennecke.

The 9,3x62 has Suhler einhaksmontage (claw mounts) with two scopes: An old Weaver K 2.5 -perfect for driven Moose and Wild boar hunting. The other scope is an Leupold vari X III 2.5-8x36 that i have found is very good for hunting wildboar in twilight conditions. I think that what you gains with a 56mm scope is maybe some 15 miniutes of hunting...

The 7x64 has a Schmidt & Bender 3-12X50, Very good scope but heavy. The scope inflicts seriously of the balance of the rifle. Top heavy and wants to turn around like the Swedish ( ahhh, yes Finland was a part of Sweden then ) 17th Century Ship of the Line Wasa....

Sometimes I decides to change the scope for an Leupold Vari X III 3 - 10 or something likes that but haven't yet made the final descision.

i would recommend you to not only look for the on paper "best" scope -but in stead look at the rifle with scope as a "sytem of systems". Find the best compromise!!!

/Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
cewe:
I've used Zeiss 2,5-10x50 a lot in broad daylight. Absolutely no problems. I would consider this the best scope I've ever used, daylight or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husky: Stora Sm�land? Thats a new one! Sounds like you�ve addressed the problem nicely. I like Leupolds and my other mounts are of schwenke type (Rechtnagel) which I like so I�ll probably be going for something around 40. Balance is very important. My 9.3 is a Husqvarna 98, it�s now being restocked. I was surprised how mild the recoil was when I tested it.

Saarlos: How does your gun balance?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cewe I have done a lot of spotlighting with the 3-9x40 and have had no drama's with them...all but one of myscopes have 40mm or 20mm objectives and I fine none to be problematic.

I feel the best option in most cases is simplicity.....less objective bell means less to get knocked IMHO.

I must get another 6.5x55, it is a great round.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anybody used illuminated reticles? they�re the big scream at the moment and seem to be quite functional.

has anybody tried the Rhino in 6.5x55?

posted Hide Post
Crewe,

Last week I bought a 1.5-6x42mm S&B for my 9.3 and I feel it is a pretty good around scope for it. The other one I had considered was a 2.5-10x42mm Swarovski PH and I am sure that would have worked great also.

I also have a 3-12x50mm Swarovski on my .308win and except in very poor light, that 50mm does not offer that much advantage.

I think the trick is to go for quality optics. In a side by side test, I found a 6x42mm Swarovski Nova to be as brighter, maybe even a touch brigher than an older design 7x50mm Meopta.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think I�ll be going for a 40-42mm bell and 1-6X or in that range. I�m partial to Leupolds and I�m looking in to illuminated reticles -might be a better option than the 50mm bell.