New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malarone
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I put in a call to my physician as I forgot what malaria prophylaxis I took last time. Required me to take 1 pill a week for two weeks prior to trip, during hunt, and after return. Was that Malarone? Hoping to hear back from him shortly.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you take malarone daily you must have taken larium which i would not take

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Larium. Malarone is a daily medication.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been taking Larium every year for so many years, and none of us has exper ienced any problems.

But, my doctor kept telling me I should take Malarone, and he has sent me some to take on this year's hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did have one vivid dream that stays with me. Source of conversation with the PH at the dinner table. Thank you, gentlemen.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it was Malarone. It is one pill a day. You start one week prior to entering a malaria area and continue for one week after returning.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My malarone instructions were begin taking 2 days prior to entering a malaria area and continue taking for 1 week after leaving that area.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We have been taking Larium every year for so many years . . . .

But, my doctor kept telling me I should take Malarone, and he has sent me some to take on this year's hunt.

Saeed, that explains a lot! Now I understand why you, Roy and Walter behave as you do, and why your hunting reports have always been so entertaining. Please don't follow your doctor's advice!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
My malarone instructions were begin taking 2 days prior to entering a malaria area and continue taking for 1 week after leaving that area.

That is correct, I have had no issues at all.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:

I have taken the larium for five trips and my instructions indicated to begin taking it two weeks prior to entering a malaria zone and continue for one week upon return. What's really important is to follow the directions given by your doctor. I have never had any larium related problems.

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Malarone with the same instructions noted above. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely Walter has not used Larium in the past?
If so, that explains what happened to Walter.
Wink
... From my cold, dead hands,
... or when I go blind,
... but I will keep the shotguns if just blind.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The Malarone really does a number on me as well. I develop stomach issues after about a week on the stuff and have the most bizarre nightmares. Most of the time, I stop taking it about 1/2 way through the hunt.

I think I prefer to get a bout of Malaria than dream again about a "white washed skeletonized baby Rhino with a jet black horn" taking a nose dive off an extended height forklift inside a basketball gymnasium, then licking my arm when I ran up to check on him! Yea ... dreams like that!!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Malarone 2 days before and 5 days after if I remember correctly. Don't forget doxycycline for tick fever.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it, Mike. Dr. put in the script for doxy and wants to see me on Monday to get all the shots as well.

Leaving on Aug. 13 for Chewore South with Richie Shultz of CMS. Having dinner with Richard Harlan and his lovely wife. That will be a highlight of the trip as well. Rich is a great guy to hunt with. Bull ele and two buff. Hope a croc is on leftover. Want one bad.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
The Malarone really does a number on me as well. I develop stomach issues after about a week on the stuff and have the most bizarre nightmares. Most of the time, I stop taking it about 1/2 way through the hunt.

I think I prefer to get a bout of Malaria than dream again about a "white washed skeletonized baby Rhino with a jet black horn" taking a nose dive off an extended height forklift inside a basketball gymnasium, then licking my arm when I ran up to check on him! Yea ... dreams like that!!

Todd, some people would pay good money to have a dream like that! Big Grin

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote