Notify
Tools

Poacher killed in shootout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Poacher killed in shootout
2009-12-28 16:10

Durban - A rhino poacher was killed and two others injured in a fierce exchange of gunfire between a group of poachers and game rangers on Christmas day, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (EKZNW) said on Monday.

“Two suspected rhino poachers were wounded and one killed in an exchange of gunfire with field rangers in the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park on the evening of December 25,” EKZNW said.

Field rangers in the iMfolozi section of the park heard shots in the western part of the Makhamisa section of iMfolozi at about 19:40 and responded immediately.

“Using torches the field rangers challenged the intruders, who immediately cocked their weapons.

"In the ensuing exchange of gunfire one suspected poacher was shot dead and two others sustained gunshot wounds.”

Two 308 rifles with slings and two axes were recovered from the poachers.

Rhino carcass found

The carcass of an adult male white rhino was found on the banks of the White Umfolozi River during a helicopter search on Saturday, December 26.

EKZNW general manager for Zululand, Sifiso Kheswa, said he regretted that a life had been lost.

“We regret that a life has been lost in this incident but I would like to reiterate that those who think they can plunder our wildlife resources do so at their peril.”

He said he was grateful that none of his staff had been injured during the gun battle.

- SAPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9434 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pity the other 2 poachers survived!

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
EKZNW general manager for Zululand, Sifiso Kheswa, said he regretted that a life had been lost.

“We regret that a life has been lost in this incident but I would like to reiterate that those who think they can plunder our wildlife resources do so at their peril.”

He said he was grateful that none of his staff had been injured during the gun battle.

I hope he was talking about the rhino!

Posts: 3883 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Settlers Safaris:
A pity the other 2 poachers survived!

+1

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
What do you have to do to get poacher tags?

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
What do you have to do to get poacher tags?

John

Join up as a ranger in Zim Parks and you could have as many as you wanted! Smiler

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

Join up as a ranger in Zim Parks and you could have as many as you wanted! Smiler

I wonder if I could talk the Mrs. into it...

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would a negative trophy fee apply?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could take the survivors and stake them out for bait, but being humane, put some water just out of their reach but where they could see it.
Also, sprinkle them down with some "Rhino attractant".

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tracker49:

Are you sure you don't have some Apache blood in you? You really scare me, as a white man, thinking about how whites facing Apaches years ago must have felt (It still scares me and I watch all westerns featuring Apaches (and yes, I recognize Mexicans and true Apaches - or more often,Hopis and Pueblos serving as extras in the movie -rather than true warrior Apaches like Chiricahua,Mescalero, Mimbre. The Apaches lost -not because they were outfought -but simply because they were outgunned and out manned. Thet never lost their capacity to scare the living daylights out of us whites. Fact.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote