Find
Notify
Tools

Who Are We That Book ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
I know this has been done before BUT with so many new AR members joining up it is worth telling ALL the guests old and new a bit about ourselves to refresh the memory banks.

So this thread is in the main ONLY for those whom book hunts ...

Who Am I ...

Peter Bird, born in Port Elizabeth RSA a long time ago when men were men and WOMEN appreciated us.

Actually I am 61 and from age 8 I lived in Rhodesia/Zimbababwe .... those were the days and they will NEVER return unfortunately. Worked in the Post Office (telecommunication division) in Bulawayo and did my National Service in the Royal Rhodesia Regiment / Private rifleman / Bren gunner ... walked the Zambezi valley many a time in 40 C+ temperatures with full pack and bren gun to boot looking for undesirables, boated on the Croc infested Zambezi river on a (pitch dark night) looking across to the Zambian side of the river for infiltrators coming over to stir up sh.t.

Left Africa in 1971 spent 4 years working for BC tel Co in Vancouver BC Canada. After a brief trip back to Zim's in 1975/76 ended up in New Zealand in 1976 working for Chubb NZ security Company until 1997 when I become (surplus to requirments) so said to HELL with the RAT RACE set up a private Hunting Consultancy working from home using the internet exclusively to consult/book ...

Here I am, still sitting at home behind a PC booking talking and generally being a pain in butt. Try to get to Africa as time and money permits to meet up with those hunting and having a good time over there at my brothers private ranches ..

That about covers the guts of my life story

EMAIL Peter  Balla-Balla Company Portfolio
Peter J. Bird

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope 30 years from now I can have as eventful as life as you did.

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Quick Bio:
Mother Rhodesian, Father Native American (Arapahoe) Born in US, lived in Africa for a few years when young, but my mother came back here.
I bought a farm in RSA a few years back and was struggling at making a go as a PH, but got smart and got a trustworthy parner. Now I mostly book, but I do a few hunts every year to keep my register active.
I do it for a love of the hunt, certainly not for money! I had my fill of Texas millionaires, now I cater to guys with realsitic bank accounts. I always felt Africa should be an attainable goal for everyone who wants it. My lodges may not be five star, but they are comfortable, with good food (and plenty of it), good drink (plenty of that, too) and good friends.
I tend to offer many "too good to be true" priced hunts, and catch a lot of crap here for it, but the main reason I do it is when the client gets off the plane and I look at the excitement on his face. The exceedingly wealthy tend to be a bit jaded, the working class get overwhelmed, and I like seeing the awe. I live for it!

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awrighty then. Here is my bio, short though it be.
I am George Naugle. I was born in 1942 near Harrisburg, PA, and spent most of my life within sixty miles of the place I was born. I graduated from high school in 1959 and tried to enlist in the marines, but they wouldn't take a guy with a shoulder problem like I had (football injury) so I went off to college.

I got married while in college (thinking with gonads, not brain), and have been married to the wonderful wife I have for 45 years. Two children.

I got my BS degree from Shippensburg (then State Teachers College, now University) in 1964, first Masters in 1968. Taught in one high school (science) for twenty eight of my thirty years, mostly uneventful. Coached track. Went hunting whenever I could, but teachers couldn't get time off to go on hunting trips.

I retired from teaching in 1994 at the age of 52, and decided that I wanted to go some of those places I had only been able to read about in magazines. Actually, my first booked hunting trip was for caribou in the Ungava Bay region in 1991 (August when schools are closed). Since 1994 retirement, I have gone on about forty hunting trips. Some were just southern deer or turkey hunts. One time in South Africa in 2003, but we are going back in May of this year.

I have a goat hunt booked for September of this year in British Columbia, and a dall sheep hunt for August of 2006. I will only be 64 then, and intend to keep doing this stuff until the legs give out. After that, they can wheel my chair into one of those box blinds in Texas and I can have someone sit next to me to wake me up when a deer comes in (LOL).

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote