Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe/Chinamasa's reforms pkg
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My system wont allow clip and paste but go to;

http://www.cnn.com

Zim's Justice Minister, Chinamasa, has introduced a 22 line item bill effectively abolishing the Constitution. RSA hasn't said squat about it to date. Dont know what this portends for hunters and Safari operations there.

Ganyana?

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here is the link

Giraffe Hunter

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The constitution has been ignored for the last five years anyway. There has been no effective recourse to the courts. Any Judge that has stood up for what is right has only done so once- then retired or been jailed.

three months ago, we changed our common law from Roman- Dutch to english???? go figure that one.

Practically, the tabled amendment just means those farmers naive enough to belive that the MDC (a collection of white liberals and black trade unionists - what a combination nut) were their salvation are finished. Those that failed to be suckered by the Commercial farmers union and the MDC and have launched civil court cases outside Zim to recover the promised compensation will get their farms back (because government cannot pay). The others loose all.

Those game ranches that have not been sized will be left because there are good reasons why government hasn't already tried to take them- like a percentage of foreign ownership, the owner backed the right party in the elections from the begining etc.

Cynically- there have always been three levels of law/justice in this country.
The political elite have always been immune from criminal procescution, but have been murdered freely when they have fallen from grace (or been found in bed with Grace). The fathers of two of bob's "children" - his own brother, Albert and peter Pamerie were executed fairly publically and nothing was said and no police follow up.

then there were the Whites and middle /upper class blacks. Any body who could afford a lawyer had recource to both law and justice.

The rural peasants and poor blacks had just the law. The policemand word was law and what he said went, irrespective of what the law said.

Thesedays the privaledge of justice is wearing thin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ganyana. Sounds like just a continuation of 'more of the same'. Still, silence from RSA.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of geese
posted Hide Post
So bottom line, is this something that I need to be concerned about as I have a hunt booked for '07?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geese- depends who you have booked with. Is it on private land and if so whose and where.

If your hunt is booked in tribal areas (communal land/CAMPFIRE) or in a state safari area, nothing changes at all.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of geese
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Thanks, that's pretty much what my buddy said. I looked, and the hunt will be on a state-owned land, so it looks like nothing will change for our hunt, for now. Whew thumb