New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing Protection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have lost enough hearing that I am in the market for an actual devise to wear on an upcoming safari.

I would imagine safari hunters, in general, shoot more than most guided hunts.

I am looking at various ear buds. Prices range from cheap to fully customized expensive aids.

I am hoping to reduce the blast to levels that will not further damage my hearing. However, if previous experiences hold true, there will be hushed or whispered communications until the moment of the shot. I am fine with putting them in when beginning the final stalk and not using as an all day wear.

Anyone have any luck or recommendations outside of a professional aid? I have attached a few links. My understanding is that the connected electronic plugs are fed off one microphone, so it is disorienting to determine direction the sound came from. I seem to remember someone praising the OTIS passive device on the forums. I can image full muffs would get aggravating to wear.

https://www.amazon.com/SportEa...-3&keywords=sportear

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers...=sportear&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G...e9-a880-ad66db3478f5

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Te...eywords=otis+hearing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both like the necklace-style Walker's Razr. Relatively inexpensive, Bluetooth compatible, rechargeable through a USB port, they have retractable ear buds, and three different sizes of foam tips. Worn under ear muffs, they provide maximum protection at indoor shooting ranges. In the field with the ear buds retracted, they fit under your shirt collar so they don't snag on brush. You can use both plugs at a time, or just use the one on your weak side. Putting them in takes no more time than it takes your PH to set up the shooting sticks. We have had ours for a couple years now, with two trips to Africa and weekly trips to the range. Hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m very interested. However, I’ve lost my second set of “injection molded” (for lack of a better term) just recently. I hope they show up, just like sunglasses. They’re only $75, but I can’t imagine losing some of the electronic ones.

By the way, I can’t use ear muffs other than the range.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timely query. After my trip to Zim last summer, I quickly found that ear muffs just get trapped by the acacia. Foam ear plugs didn't let me hear my PH or how quietly (or not!) I was moving. But my .375 H&H was Magnaported by the original owner and the blast was a bit more than I like, so I was mulling over the same problem.

I picked up a pair of the Walker Silencer ear buds and have had them out to the range a few times, wearing them for 3-4 hours at a stretch. They seem to work well and let me hear better than without, much like my Peltor mufs. If anything, I think the higher frequencies seem more amplified than lower, which should help whispered instructions.

My son is going with me this year so I was looking for another pair for him. G4G Guns in Texas had the best price I could find:

https://www.g4gguns.com/produc...cr-888151014448-322#

About $118 delivered. They come with an assortment of different "fittings" so you can customize to your liking. So far they seem to stay in without any problems, and they also come with a lanyard. (But I figured acacias would find the darn lanyard cord also.) My kudu was a surprise while we were looking for buff, so I'm tempted to wear them all morning, out for lunch, then in all afternoon. Or maybe pop them in when I leave the truck?

They work independently, so you can localize sounds. Ask me again in August and I'll give you a better evaluation!

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have enough ear protection to open my own store. I have recently settled on Walker's Silencers and love them. They have been on a number of hunts, to both Africa and Alaska. I also have the Razors, but prefer the Silencers.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I wear hearing aids from Costco. I plug the vent hole when shooting and/or hunting and hear very well and am safe from noise over 85d.
Bought two Walker Game Ear and returned them asap as they were cheap POS.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I use ESP - custom fit electronic magnification. Not cheap, but I use for all my hunting.

Jack Homa is owner and great about customer service - regular at SCI and DSC.

https://www.espamerica.com/

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I've been using a set from Tactical Hearing for the last 4 or 5 years and love them.

https://www.tacticalhearing.com

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
https://www.westone.com/store/...hp/defendear-digital

I have used these for years. You can turn volume up so it helps with hearing loss. I wear them the whole day without any issues. they do not hinder rifle or shotgun mount. So stay in ear. and don't get hot and sweaty.

I even use them in high noise situations for diy.

because they molded to ear they are comfortable and don't rub or hurt.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use in ear and over ear while shooting here in our range.

For hunting I prefer not to use any at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
What??
Wink

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I use in ear and over ear while shooting here in our range.

For hunting I prefer not to use any at all.

Same here; especially in a dangerous game area.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My main shooting is high volume dove in Argentina. If I don’t find my others, I’ll try the Walker referenced above.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by England:
Timely query. After my trip to Zim last summer, I quickly found that ear muffs just get trapped by the acacia. Foam ear plugs didn't let me hear my PH or how quietly (or not!) I was moving. But my .375 H&H was Magnaported by the original owner and the blast was a bit more than I like, so I was mulling over the same problem.

I picked up a pair of the Walker Silencer ear buds and have had them out to the range a few times, wearing them for 3-4 hours at a stretch. They seem to work well and let me hear better than without, much like my Peltor mufs. If anything, I think the higher frequencies seem more amplified than lower, which should help whispered instructions.

My son is going with me this year so I was looking for another pair for him. G4G Guns in Texas had the best price I could find:

https://www.g4gguns.com/produc...cr-888151014448-322#

About $118 delivered. They come with an assortment of different "fittings" so you can customize to your liking. So far they seem to stay in without any problems, and they also come with a lanyard. (But I figured acacias would find the darn lanyard cord also.) My kudu was a surprise while we were looking for buff, so I'm tempted to wear them all morning, out for lunch, then in all afternoon. Or maybe pop them in when I leave the truck?

They work independently, so you can localize sounds. Ask me again in August and I'll give you a better evaluation!

I just bought these. We will see.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ear protection (plugs) goes well when high volume shooting is concerned, typically at shooting ranges.

Out in the field hunting where shots will be few and far between they are not really necessary and best to have your ears clear to hear what is happening and receiving instructions.

When hunting DG, especially in thick cover, they could lead to your downfall.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
Ear protection (plugs) goes well when high volume shooting is concerned, typically at shooting ranges.

Out in the field hunting where shots will be few and far between they are not really necessary and best to have your ears clear to hear what is happening and receiving instructions.

To those of us who are practically deaf, what happens in the field is always the same.

I have learnt to hear the word SHOOT above anything else.

Sometimes my PH whispers "ah shoot".

And I shoot.

Sometimes my PH whispers "don't shoot" I never hear the "don't" bit, but clearly hear "shoot"so I shoot! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hearing????? what is that? I haven't had any of that since at age 19 when I pulled the trigger on four 50cal machineguns firing all four simultaneously. Two on each side of my head in the anti-aircraft turret in an M-16 Halftrack with nothing over my ears but air. My ears have been ringing every since!...……………….

…………………………………………………………………………... BOOM salute

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

To be clear, I was referring to amplified hearing protection. These plugs (or the Peltor muffs) provide about 25dB of protection, but also have microphones to amplify and transmit sounds. They stop doing so with sounds above about 90dB.

This lets you hear sounds, in fact, better than you can without the device due to the amplification. Unfortunately, even a single unprotected shot from a centerfire rifle can cost you a bit of hearing, and this is additive. After those .375 H&H shots, I had a bit of ringing in my ears, which is God telling you that you just lost some hearing.

I'm hoping that these Walker buds are a good solution. But honestly, I'll trade a bit of hearing for another Cape buffalo adventure if I must.

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years of shooting, racing, and extremely loud oil field operations weren't the hot set up for my hearing apparently.

My wife had me a set of custom electronic hearing protectors made up. They work and I have used them in the duck blind. Interestingly enough you can set them to hear amplified sounds too as was mentioned above.

I don't however wear them on safari. I use a foam one and pop a few in my front pocket. When we get on stalk I just insert one in my left ear. And besides I don't hear so good out of it anyway - hearing only voice level frequency from the left ear. Hmmm I wonder why? The PH knows to be on my right side.

Like Saeed I use two including a foam insert and an over the head out on the rifle range. Everybody has muzzle breaks these days and under a cover too it is just loud.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of the Walker's electronic, in ear and I'm happy so far.

They're Bluetooth enabled and controlled with your phone. The part I like - and confirmed before I purchased - is that you can turn the microphones off and use them solely as noise cancelling ear buds via BT.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote