Find
Notify
Tools

PAC elephant throphy pic
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted

I just finished hanging my throphy from my elephant hunt. It was a pac hunt so no ivory. I got an ear from a guy on AR. I mounted it to wood added my photo with my elephant also have mounted the bigbore rounds I have gathered. Still want to add some more rounds. Anyone have a 470ne, 500ne, 404jeffe, 505gibbs or?? dummy round?
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Depends on how long you can wait. I've got the .404 and .450 Rigby but they just went into storage until my garage is rebuilt. That should take about 3 months . . . rain willing. If you haven't got them by then, shoot me a PM.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This dummy's got a .505 round in Horneber brass sittin' here for ya. wave

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i got some 700 nitro brass and over 100 peices of hornber 505 gibbs brass......i also have a few 500 jefferys.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to contribute a 500 NE and a 470 NE dummy.

Please email your address.

dmccart@xmission.com

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to send you the 404 Jeff. PM an address,
please
Raff

Posts: 461 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offers. Pms have been sent. Someday I hope to go again and add some ivory to the ear. But the boys cars and school are eating up the africa hunts for a year or two.
Thanks
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
When you hunt for PAC you can't take anything as a trophy? I knew you couldn't take the ivory but thought they would give you something. I guess not. Can you hunt anything else besides Ele for PAC?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
When you hunt PAC, take a good Digital camera, with high number of megapixels so pictures don't loose quality when blown up to even poster size! Take a hundred pictures, from every angle. Not only the trophy pictures, but those of the people doing the butchering, and of their little fires for cooking as they cut up the elephant. Once they get the tusks out of the skull, take several pictures of yourself with them, and take very careful measurements of the length, and diameter in several places along the length. Be carefull to take pictures of any grouves, or broken places in the ivory. These pictures, and measurements can be used to make quality casted replicas of your tusks by a good taxidermist.

These are not like haveing the real set, but is sort of like the fiberglass replicas, for your wall, of blue marlins cought, and released.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an elephant hair bracelet from each of the PAC and tuskless eles I have shot!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dean,

Do I see my 450 #2 about the sixth from the left..

Mike Cool

Well done...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mike
Good eyes! I was quite surprised at the size of the 450#2. It looks right at home with the 600s and the 577trex. I am guessing you dont fill that shell all the way up with powder?
Dean

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Highest i've gone is 88gr. RL 15 5gr dacron..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 Grain bullet, 2150 feet per sec and PSI readings down in the 29K and LESS range. This is a cartridge that does NOT beat up on a rifle! It's a shame that this case or the .475 #2 case from Jeffery (or the standard .475 #2) is not the most widely used. I'm told they both can be reloaded over and over because they are made so much heavier than typical .470 NE or .500 NE. The RIM THICKNESS ON THESE #2's is .080 compared to .035 or.040. for the .470 or .500 NE.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote