New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever get to eat your kill?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do these outfitters ever fry up the tenderloins on some of the game you take?I've got alot of questions to ask just in case i win the Buffalo hunt!!!!!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just ask.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
I had dishes from all the animals I shot on my recent trip. Blesbok was my favorite.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Your question is moot! You're not winning! shame

I'll save a couple out for you tho' What would you prefer, Buff or Zebra?

beer

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had grilled blesbok, kudu, gemsbok, and wildebeest in RSA last year. All animals that we killed. The only game that we had that I did not like was when my brother asked the cook to make gemsbok liver. Had they fried it I think that it would have been OK, but it was in a gravey of some sort that was not very good. All in all the game was outstanding.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've made two trips to South Africa so far (in 2000 and 2002) and I've had Impala, Gemsbok and Kudu. All were excellent. I even had some White Rhino sausage for one lunch on the 2002 trip! No, I didn't hunt the White Rhino. It was taken on a hunt on the same property about 2 months before our hunt. It was good but very dark and strong; not my favorite. But, I was glad to have it just so I could say I had eaten Rhino!!! I'm headed back this coming August and I very much look forward to eating some of the game.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten the following;
Kudu, Eland, Zebra, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Giraffe, and Warthog. All were good to excellent with Gemsbok by far the best. I could probably reduce my beef intake by 90% if I could find a source in the US for Gemsbok.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had wonderful cuts of game at every meal. The cuts were typically always loin and tenderloin, and the rest packaged for sale in Windhoek. Had springbok kabobs one night, but springbok neck roast and stew is wonderful too. Altogether, we ate kudu, eland, gemsbok, hartebeest, springbok, and blesbok in the 15 days I was there. The warthog and zebra all go to the help which live on the ranch. While it may not have been from my own animals, since it was aged and marinated sometimes, it was the best game I have ever eaten.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC300:
I have eaten the following;
Kudu, Eland, Zebra, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Giraffe, and Warthog. All were good to excellent with Gemsbok by far the best. I could probably reduce my beef intake by 90% if I could find a source in the US for Gemsbok.

I took some customers hunting at a game ranch here in Texas last year. I shot a scimitar horned oryx, and, in my opinion, it is some of the best meat I have ever eaten. I have been wondering if gemsbok was the same quality; it sounds like it is.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH Tino tries to get his clients to try a bit of everything but two things he won´t eat are a)warthog b) zebra. Otherwise we mostly eat game while hunting and it´s very good. He also makes liver in a special way, fried and then cooked in cream, served with pap (cornmeal porridge, a staple food) and it´s excellent. Normally I hate liver.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I have tried to eat a bit of most things I've shot in Africa. Over the course of three trips, I've had kudu, blesbok, gemsbok, impala, springbok, eland, buffalo, sable, and wildebeast. Best tasting by far was the eland, my favorite.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had S. Mt Reedbuck (the best and the worst), Impala, Blesbok, Kudu, Nyala, Wildebest both colors, Gemsbok, Mt Zebra (Joes Beerhouse),Eland and others I am not sure what it was the PH's wife said it was venison as the did not lable the meat when they froze it. Love Impala liver for a morning fryup. One morning we had Impala liver and kidneys with eggs etc, hum good. I want to try Leopard when I get lucky this fall. The wildebest was some of the most tasty but a bit on the tough side.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
Eland fillets are my favorite. I find eland to be very similar to beef but without the fat.

Warthog are great for having a nice rack of ribs aswell.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
My safari company asked me on my first trip if I would like to eat some of the game I took, what, are they kidding!! I wanted as much as I could try! so far I've had: Kudu, Impala, Klipspringer, grysbok, Warthog, Bushbuck, bushpig, Eland, Zebra, Hippo, Cape Buffalo, Leopard, Serval, Dassie, Giraffe, Croc, Elephant, Wildebeest. the cook always made some good dishes with all the critters, steaks to stews, everything was excellent.

The best, Eland and Leopard!

The worst, Croc and Giraffe! I imagine they both would have been alot better if you shaved off alot of years! mainly the Croc!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
At the camp we were at, we ate the meat from the animals the last hunting party had killed. This allowed it to age. (Kudu is right yummy.)

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
We ate game at nearly every meal during our safari last summer. The only animal taken that we did not eat was the warthog because it was taken too late in the hunt. I shot my hartebeest on the next to last night, and still tried it after hanging for only three hours or so. It was a bit tough, but quite tasty. We tried impala, oryx, kudu, springbok, mt. zebra, and hartebeest. I believe my favorite was the springbok, followed closely by mt. zebra.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
We ate meat from animals taken the day before, no "aging" and it was tender and delicious!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, all the meat you eat, other than Lobster and shrimp will be the game you shoot on this hunt....It will be aged for 8 to 24 hours. clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RiflemanZ:
Do these outfitters ever fry up the tenderloins on some of the game you take?

Yes, I've had zebra (didn't like, real gamey), impala (didn't like, gamey), tsessebee (didn't like, preparation), kudu (good), common reedbuck (very good), sable (very good), warthog (very good), and eland (excellent). Also had guinea fowl and francolin (both very good).

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
The kudu and wildebeast tenderloins were great!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We ate everything that the previous hunter had shot. All plains game, you name it. I have never had a bad meal at any time in five weeks in Africa. I have gout, and I cannot eat beef very often. I had plains game two meals a day for 21 days and never had any problems. I think it is the junk that they shoot into the cattle and pork products here, to make them grow faster, in the USA. If you don't try the game over there you are really missing much of the "flavor" of the hunt.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try it all after i win the free trip.I have my eye on a ruger 338win mag rifle.Its my next purchase.I thought about a .300win but decided on the .338

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my trip to RSA in 2001, we had blue wildebeest and kudu and both were excellent. All the game we shot was sent to market I am pretty sure. The zebra I shot was a foul beast that I would not even attempt to eat.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert

Interesting since Sadie and I have eaten zebra in at least 3 different locations and it was quite tasty.

Nothing compares to Tommie chops though! Ruark got that one right for sure.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Tell you what, Chicken Fried Kudu Steaks are out of this world! I have had Warthog, Eland, Kudud, Gemsbok as well. All either fried or in a casserole of some sort. The Gemsbok biltong is great too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Raw kudu sprinkled with corriander, cracked pepper and lemon juice is damn tasty as an appetizer. Especially with a cold Frostie.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark: I have heard from friends that zebra is sold in northern Europe, but the folks who we were hunting with, near Port Elizabeth, treated the zebra I shot as if it was not table fair..I shot maybe a 6 or 7 year old stallion, and it was a foul smelling scarred beast...I watched the folks in the skinning shed that night pull its hide off..they did quarter it and cut its back in half and took it to cold storage. I asked the skinner what they were going to do with the meat and he said he did not know...with the kudu, blesbuck, springbuck, impala, duiker and gemsbuck it was clear that the meat was highly valued, because they said so....the tracker/skinners paid close attention to their stomacks (right off the bat), and then got the meat to cold storage. The zebra was treated a little different as I remember.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten elephant once or twice on each safari. Most is unbeliveably tough, jaw sore tough. The most tender steaks are from the cheeks.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I was really looking foreward to eland marrow bones roasted over the coals on the night of the kill,but maybee next time.We made rhino chili that would of been great except the drunken hired P.H. kept laying the spoon in the dirt every time he stirred it.Hunted with one P.H. that must have lived on game liver and meilipap.The one I hunt the most with wont eat liver as he calls it a filthy filter.One night me and a buddy stayed up drinking I drank a whole bottle of Amarula while eating biltong and droewors.The memories just go on an on.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mmmmm always have eaten duiker,warthog springbok,blesbok, impala, blue and black wildebeest,hartebeest,kudu,eland and buff. all really really tasty

my favs have to be impala, kudu and eland.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impala kabobs in the evening for a starter.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote