Poachers are serious
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
This is very sad news.
Thousand of men and women are putting their lives in danger everyday to fight these poachers. The problem is much worse than what we think it is, the poachers are heavily armed and they care less for human or animals.

A friend who work in anti poaching and gives training in anti poaching in Tanzania visited me last week. The stories that he told me was very alarming. One evening his scouts was first attacked by poachers and then later the house where he, his wife and baby son was living came under attack, no one was injured, the poachers was sending a message to them.

The poachers are well organised, very well informed and ruthless.

I have huge respect for the anti poaching units that operate daily in the face of death to protect our natural heritage.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
This is very sad news.
Thousand of men and women are putting their lives in danger everyday to fight these poachers. The problem is much worse than what we think it is, the poachers are heavily armed and they care less for human or animals.

A friend who work in anti poaching and gives training in anti poaching in Tanzania visited me last week. The stories that he told me was very alarming. One evening his scouts was first attacked by poachers and then later the house where he, his wife and baby son was living came under attack, no one was injured, the poachers was sending a message to them.

The poachers are well organised, very well informed and ruthless.

I have huge respect for the anti poaching units that operate daily in the face of death to protect our natural heritage.

These poachers would never have gotten to this if they did not have government support!

In Tanzania anti-poaching units operated by safari operators are not allowed to be armed???!!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67392 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way is to have a shoot to kill policy on poachers, Armed or not!! In Zimbabwe the kill rate on poachers in the early 1980's was around 75-80%(if guys engaged armed poachers,there were poachers killed.) when the game dept was fighting poachers during operation 'strong hold' era. Then a few poachers were killed who had a connection in/to government, and the game dept guys where reigned in, and their operations hampered by certain elements within government. Currently our game dept success rate on killing armed poachers they engage is running around the 10-15% mark.

Until such time as corruption within government circles is dealt with, it's a war that's being fought with no light at the end of the tunnel. As far as we are concerned, if private citizens and conservation companies are willing to risk life and limb for wildlife, they should be armed and allowed to act accordingly. If you go to a gun fight with a knife, you are going to come off second best.

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2One only has to look at the sentences of convicted poachers to see that it is still not a high priority for these countries. People who are willing to kill game scouts are given a fine and, sometimes, a short prison sentence.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Bwanamich will have an update on this tragedy.

Posts: 1886 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://friedkinfund.org/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36840 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Remember Andre. Shot down under similar circumstances. Very sad and Tanzania needs to get its shit together.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three words - Douglas A-1 Skyraider

Sorry but a Robinson whirlybird is not designed as a ground attack helicopter.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
This has got media attention now and we need to get world focus on poaching.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I was in the Kilwa block in October/November. What I saw, with my own eyes, frankly frightened me. Federico Gellini, the operator told me and showed me in pictures that this was, in his words, "Elephant Paradise."

What I saw was like a war zone. No less that 75, perhaps more Elephants with their faces simple chopped off behind the tusk line.

Aside from the travesty of the elephant population, there is another crisis that has become apparent. The symbiotic relationship between the Elephants and the Buffalo/PG struck me like lightening.

This GMA has no real river, it has sand rivers. When I was there, there was drought. In a normal year, the Elephants simply dig and keep dug out, large deep holes in these sand rivers. These obviously benefit all the animals.

The Jumbos are gone for the most part and there was widespread death in the bush. everywhere we went, every day, animals were dead and dying. We came across this sable bull one afternoon. He was merely 30 yards in front of the hunting car. As you can see, his head is low and he looks sick.

We drove within 10 feet of him, his reaction was simply to lay down.

I was crushed. I wanted badly to euthanize him. The scout had given us permission but we saw so much of this, adding to the sour stench of death that had become a permanent aroma, left me flat. I had no desire to add more, just to pull the trigger.

I had already killed a good Sable prior in the Safari. we returned to a mostly consumed carcass the following day.

We found these tusks still inside the skull of a poached Elephants that had been lost by a poacher. In 16 days in the GMA, I saw maybe 15 live Elephants. Most of them had a wire or a limp or a bullet wound on them somewhere.

The African Elephant doesn't stand a chance in hell. As long as there is corruptible people in the bush and a willing market, they're screwed.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
I was in the Kilwa block in October/November. What I saw, with my own eyes, frankly frightened me. Federico Gellini, the operator told me and showed me in pictures that this was, in his words, "Elephant Paradise."

What I saw was like a war zone. No less that 75, perhaps more Elephants with their faces simple chopped off behind the tusk line.

Aside from the travesty of the elephant population, there is another crisis that has become apparent. The symbiotic relationship between the Elephants and the Buffalo/PG struck me like lightening.

This GMA has no real river, it has sand rivers. When I was there, there was drought. In a normal year, the Elephants simply dig and keep dug out, large deep holes in these sand rivers. These obviously benefit all the animals.

The Jumbos are gone for the most part and there was widespread death in the bush. everywhere we went, every day, animals were dead and dying. We came across this sable bull one afternoon. He was merely 30 yards in front of the hunting car. As you can see, his head is low and he looks sick.

We drove within 10 feet of him, his reaction was simply to lay down.

I was crushed. I wanted badly to euthanize him. The scout had given us permission but we saw so much of this, added that the sour stench of death that had become a permanent aroma. I had no desire to add to.

I had already killed a good Sable prior in the Safari. we returned to a mostly consumed carcass the following day.

We found these tusks still inside the skull of a poached Elephants that had been lost by a poacher. In 16 days in the GMA, I saw maybe 15 live Elephants. Most of them had a wire or a limp or a bullet wound on them somewhere.

The African Elephant doesn't stand a chance in hell. As long as there is corruptible people in the bush and a willing market, they're screwed.

Tragic and pathetic that Tanzania and Kenya have done such a terrible job protecting their elephant. I still don't get how Tanzania can sell a hunting license for elephants.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Talk about the irony. I was suppose to have the GMA/Concession to myself. But, as things go I was in a fly camp. The main "Classic Safari Camp" was being used by a Chinese booking agent. He had 6-8 clients in camp, as they came and went. They were Lion and Elephant hunting. Roll Eyes

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Mike,

Talk about the irony. I was suppose to have the GMA/Concession to myself. But, as things go I was in a fly camp. The main "Classic Safari Camp" was being used by a Chinese booking agent. He had 6-8 clients in camp, as they came and went. They were Lion and Elephant hunting. Roll Eyes

Have to find someone to sell quota too and I bet the quota is function of hunts sold not the other way round.

Given what is happening to elephants in Tanzania it is very unlikely USFW lifts trophy import restriction anytime in the future.

Only thing that can save elephants in Tanzania will be some very rich billionaires eventually moving elephants from Botswana there. Elephants are long lived animals - the wholesale killings will take generations to replace.

It is amazing how much wildlife has been destroyed by corrupt governments in Africa. I have also lost faith in the whole hunting as conservation story in places where the outfitters don't own the underlying property.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Mike,

Sounds like Fredrico Gellini has sold out to the folks with the most money. good to know going forward

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Mike,

Hi Steve,

Who was your booking agent?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2970 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it, but we need to get equally serious.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time everyone was deadly serous about poaching. Bush justice was instant and there was no appeal. Then we started to see more and more NGO types getting involved in anti-poaching efforts and with them the police. Now we arrest and prosecute only for the real culprits to either hide behind the poachers or get a hand slap when caught. And sadly even those who are supposed to be guarding against poaching are now participating.

We need to restore the old ways that worked. Instant justice for poachers and a midnight visit for those who are facilitating the trade. You fight terror with terror. This is not something that you can regulate your way out of.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus:

+1

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Zambia has increased jail sentences from 2 to 10 years for anyone prosecuted for wildlife offences which is very encouraging. However my scouts and their families have experienced reprisals and one was savagely beaten recently and another stabbed in the face with a screwdriver.

We now carry side arms and sleep with one eye open.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew:

How can we help?

I'm tired of practicing law. Stabbing poachers with a screwdriver sounds much more interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A poacher in Africa does not fit into the mould of a poacher in a developed country. As with African pirates, they are - bushmeat poachers excluded - not the end beneficiaries of their work, and are merely the bottom rung on a much larger ladder. They are, however, generally armed with automatic weapon systems, operate in squads and have some military or paramilitary (e.g. police) training. In countries like Zimbabwe, where they are facing minimum mandatory 9-year prison sentences for possession of more than 200g of the product of any specially protected animal they will have no hesitation in initiating contact.

The same folks who burst into tears at the thought of a poor animal being harmed also burst into tears at the thought of a poor poacher being harmed, but they are not in touch with the reality in a third world country, and that is why we need shoot-on-sight policies and we need to fight fire with fire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And something else I should have mentioned is the indiscriminate use of the term "poacher". Poachers - the actual trigger men - aren't all that common - pretty rare, in fact. They are very high maintenance in terms of manpower and resources to take down. The traffickers are most often the targets of successful law enforcement operations, and that makes the problem at the same time all that more daunting, because they often represent senior politicos. But if you can smack, say, the Poon family in South Africa they are worth a hundred poachers.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Once upon a time everyone was deadly serous about poaching. Bush justice was instant and there was no appeal. Then we started to see more and more NGO types getting involved in anti-poaching efforts and with them the police. Now we arrest and prosecute only for the real culprits to either hide behind the poachers or get a hand slap when caught. And sadly even those who are supposed to be guarding against poaching are now participating.

We need to restore the old ways that worked. Instant justice for poachers and a midnight visit for those who are facilitating the trade. You fight terror with terror. This is not something that you can regulate your way out of.

Yeah...restore back to colonial period.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36840 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Yeah...restore back to colonial period.

Lane you are 100% correct, the only problem is that they despise anything from the colonial period. Everything worked in the colonial period and since it was dismantled everything turned into a heap of dung.

An eye or an eye and the SSS solution are the only policies that work.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
This has got media attention now and we need to get world focus on poaching.

Andrew,
You are very correct. The distinction between hunter and poacher is blurred in the eyes of the anti-hunters and even in general population...somehow...the contrast needs to be made more distinct. Hopefully, the opportunity can be seized.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
And something else I should have mentioned is the indiscriminate use of the term "poacher". Poachers - the actual trigger men - aren't all that common - pretty rare, in fact. They are very high maintenance in terms of manpower and resources to take down. The traffickers are most often the targets of successful law enforcement operations, and that makes the problem at the same time all that more daunting, because they often represent senior politicos. But if you can smack, say, the Poon family in South Africa they are worth a hundred poachers.

No mate it is a free for all. Smash and grab. The commercial meat poachers we can handle but putting my men in front of high powered rifles is a different ball game. Like I say we are now arming ourselves to combat this. Fortunately we have a very good informer network which we finance so we are forewarned.

Anyway this is the life I chose and it beats wearing a tie to work.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Andrew:

How can we help?

I'm tired of practicing law. Stabbing poachers with a screwdriver sounds much more interesting.

Lavaca,

You have already been very kind and Choshi was a good example of a good fellow gunned down in the line of duty. Will update you with the donation and it is going to happen shortly.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andrew:

What a great commentary. I'm tired of wearing a tie to work.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
quote:

Andrew:

What a great commentary. I'm tired of wearing a tie to work.

That is why we hunt mate. To experience emotion that is not found in ordinary life.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger Gower/Update on Arrests

Following a swift and extensive law enforcement effort, five arrests have been made in connection with the killing of Roger Gower, our friend and colleague. As is now widely known, Roger was killed while piloting a helicopter to assist Tanzanian authorities in their efforts to locate and arrest elephant poachers.

The arrests, including the man suspected to be directly responsible for the murder, were the result of a Friedkin Conservation Fund Anti-Poaching team operation in conjunction with the Tanzanian law enforcement agencies.

In addition to the suspected gunman, other members of the poaching operation involved in the shooting were arrested, together with members of a criminal network providing illegal firearms and facilitating the transport and sale of ivory.

This extensive operation has also uncovered a wider network of suspects involved in poaching and the illegal ivory trade, which is expected to lead to further arrests.

We are confident that the Tanzanian authorities will investigate and prosecute those involved to the absolute full extent of the law. By bringing these individuals to justice, it will honor Roger’s memory. We also fervently hope that it will mark the turning point in Tanzania in the fight to protect elephants and our wildlife heritage.

Dan Friedkin

Chairman, Friedkin Conservation Fund

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very good news.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shame they arrested those involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich:

Do you know if Tanzania applies the "felony murder rule?" Under that doctrine, any participant in a felony is equally guilty of a murder committed in furtherance of that felony regardless of whether that individual pulled the trigger, planned, or even knew of the intent to kill. It would be great if we could get this beyond game-related offenses, because sentences for those crimes seem incredibly light.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure....they follow British laws so if it is so in UK then likely the same in TZ. I'm confident the authorities are out to prove a point and will make an example of this case. The President recentlyslammed the judiciary for being corrupt and issuing light sentences.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am operating in the omay where Martin Pieters hunts. We are getting the full support of the government departments. Our most difficult area was the judiciary. Having lobbied the powers that be in Harare to support us and carrying out workshops aimed at educating the rural prosecuting officers. From the four solid arrests made last week in the Zambezi valley, the shortest sentence issued was 9 years.

We are making huge progress in Zimbabwe in tackling the problems that were faced in the past and government supporting us.

Posts: 26 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote