Find
Notify
Tools

americase for africa trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted
G'day All, have been looking for that "perfect" gun case, one with lots of strength but also light enough not to tip the scales 'over' with our low baggage limit. This is to take my R93 Blaser .416 Rem Mag back over to Zim next year to once again hunt with Buzz and co. Believe I found it in a Americase specially designed for the Blaser, catch is they want more than the cost of the case to Ship it over to me here in Australia a whopping US$372.00!!!!
Having had things sent over before I believe the true cost should be around US$120.00, which I would Happily pay.
So what i am asking is does any body deal with Americase but is willing to put it in the post for me? naturally at my expense?

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for similar (one double & Blaser R93) but am looking at the Pelican which is available here, but at a price.
How much for the Americacase? I'm sure a had one with a Searcy double but it weighed quite a bit.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use americase for our rifles and like them a lot. We believe that they ship via UPS which is quite costly at least to the VI. Contact them and see if they cannot use USPS international priority mail: should be less costly

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Oz Hunter, mate the single Blaser case is US$320.00, weighs in at 13 pounds. Had a great one made for Blaser and two barrels in Sydney by fortress cases, but looking for a single at least "water proof or better". The Pelicans and others are all to big and bulky for a single take down.

BC, thanks mate will see if that makes a better freight option.

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
How about the pelican case Blaser sells made for Blaser...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Bwana1, also considered them, but the size of the case nearly takes away the advantage of the 'take down' rifle

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I really like the SKB & regret not buying one in US when I was there last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay5Ho6wkoVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQ8WUMETc4

Lighter, cheaper and stronger than the Pelican accroding to many reports.

I am not sure if the second video of the wine glasses.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I have used an Americase for many years and it has held up well. Lots of scratches and dents but the locks and hinges have never failed.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have Pelican, SKB and Americase. They are all equally strong.

The Americase is the best looking case but it is also the most expensive and is very heavy.

I used Pelican cases for years in the military and still have a couple. They are almost as heavy as the Americase and are very awkward to carry. On some models, you have to cut the foam for the firearm so now you have a custom case for that firearm (or one similar).

The SKB is the lightest, very easy to carry and comes with a heck of a warranty. Most people look at it and think I am carrying a musical instrument.

I use the Americases for local vehicle travel, the SKB's when flying and the Pelican's will be sold.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, got the freight down to $150. Americase is still preferred case on strength, weight and size.