THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Hey... in the picture of Ahmed, upper right...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hey... in the picture of Ahmed, upper right...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
Quote:

With the smoke/gas coming out of the barrels, they must have just been fired. That would indicate that he is catching the empties as they are ejected.

Yes, yes, I know, I know... I can see the smoke... but I like the other idea better!

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Looks like he's guiding them in there using Zen or telekinesis or something.

O.K. ...Grasshopper

"You must become one with the smoking shells, Weedcricket."

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, If your ejectors are timed correctly it is not hard to do.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Telekinesis reloading, the "Bakes" method of confrontation, mixed with a little "Sullivan" technique. I detect a new breed of African hunter coming on line!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of people make the same move in the photo to "swat" the hulls to the ground away from their stock. They have it worked into a smooth move that keeps the dents out of their stock.
If in that event he's not allowed to leave them on the field then he's probably catching them to dispose of them.
I catch the hulls becuase I'm cheap and I always save them for reloading.

Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what the FatCat (GatoGordo) said. Used to do it out of a M12 all the time 40+ yrs ago. However, there are bins provided at each shooting station at the Olympics (as well as a large number of other facilities) for the deposit of spent hulls. You're not allowed to let them fly.

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
I think he's reloading. Looks like he's good at dunking them shells in.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because a lot of trap shooters (and probably skeet & sporting clays shooters) don't reload and want those empties kicked out for them. I've seen a few guys catch the empties on singles or handicap, but I haven't seen anybody do it on doubles. Pretty crafty catching two of them! Usually when you see someone doing the catch gimmick, they are kind of a hotdog--but invariably, a good shot hotdog! I think it is also a psycology thing--it distracts the other shooters, your competition. Anything to take their concentration off the target a bit will eventually lead to a miss, and 1 miss is all it takes to beat them.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's catching em. They probably got tough anti-litter laws in Dubai!

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is it that dedicated trap guns have ejectors at all? I prefer extractors - field or range guns, but then I reload and do not like leaving empties all over, nor hunting for them rather than the next bird. But in a range gun, I would think ejectors would be nonextant.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see with the number of birds these guys shoot that I would want ejectors. If I was going for the gold I wouldn't want to lose because my fingers got tired removing the casings. Rather have them pop out and catch them. Just my 2 cents.>John

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Lloyd is exactly right, it's easier and quicker to catch them even for us "savers and reloaders" when the ejectors kick them into your hand. It keeps your hands cleaner and saves time.

Guys that catch them and throw them on the ground are often trying to be polite by not hitting the shooter behind them with the hulls (sporting, skeet, FITASC, COMPAC, etc.) or sometimes guys catch them and toss them down on grass ect. making them hit more softly rather than having them go up 6 feet and then back down to concrete bouncing all over.

Not everything people do is by design to distract the competition or look flashy. Some people just hit more targets to win.

Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why is it that dedicated trap guns have ejectors at all? I prefer extractors - field or range guns, but then I reload and do not like leaving empties all over, nor hunting for them rather than the next bird. But in a range gun, I would think ejectors would be nonextant.

No. With extractors, you have to reach down and pull the empty hulls out. That requires extra effort and time. That's no good. With ejectors, you put your hand over the hulls when you open the gun and it kicks them into your hand. Much better that way. I save the hulls and reload too.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I don't see the resemblence between the two brothers...do you?

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, a lot of shooters, myself included, that do reload disable the ejectors and pluck the cases out, but lots of shooters don't reload and just break the gun open and shoot those shells back behind themselves. They want those ejectors. Kind of funny, but about half the guys I've seen that catch them go ahead and toss them on the ground. Don't know why they bother catching them.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheeet, I catch 'em in my teeth

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, OKAY, wiseguys!!! Yuk it up, funny boys! Let's see you pull a decent time on the shotgun portion of a cowboy stage... using a shotgun WITHOUT ejectors!!!

Boy... ask a simple question!

(I liked the "reloading" answer. If I could do THAT at my cowboy events, I'd make China Camp envious!)

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think he's reloading. Looks like he's good at dunking them shells in.

You know... as I keep looking at the picture... well, I keeping thinking of "Full Metal Jacket."

To paraphrase... I think he's "miracling them in there!" Looks like he's guiding them in there using Zen or telekinesis or something.

Russ

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I any of us were that Damn good at double trap, we'd be catch'n our hulls too!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy Joe, when he was 15, shot junior Olympic trap and often would compete in local and regional events shooting with guys twice his age and when he would bust a clay he would snap his Perazzi open, catch the flying shell up and behind his head, sniff the smoking hull and throw it over his shoulder. You shoul;d have seen his competitors steam. Saw him shoot a pheasant once so fast it made my head swim, he just looked at me, opened his GTi and did the shell catch and sniff and said, 'What, did you think i would MISS?' _Baxter

Posts: 66 | Location: Idaho/Virginia | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote