THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Advice gun stock and brass to Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice gun stock and brass to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can I bring a synthetic gun stock and some empty brass in my carry on? Not taking a gun or gun case.
Please advice

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

You probably can do it legally but I advise clients to not carry those kinds of things because of the ignorance of officials here and in Africa that you may encounter. I can just imagine those two items causing a huge cluster@#$% at some point in your travels.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I doubt if TSA would allow it as it "could" look like a gun. They are silly that way.

http://gizmodo.com/5892099/add...gs-banned-by-the-tsa

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend either in the carry on because as Mark says, it's bound to be a stuff up but the stock should probably be OK in checked baggage...... That said, I believe it's next to impossible to order a stock from somewhere like Cabelas and have them send it to Africa so you might need to check with someone like TSA on that.

The brass however is more questionable and often/usually considered a component and therefore likely not to be a permitted item.

Quite honestly, the easiest and probably cheapest option for brass in Africa is to buy it there. Even if not available in the particular country you want it, you should be able to contact a gun shop in RSA and have them send it elsewhere in Africa if necessary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
99.9% of TSA agents will NOT allow anything that remotely looks like a gun through security. Ignorance is bliss to them, if it looks like a duck, etc.
And brass? heck that COULD be a bullet!!!! Not no but h&^% NO!
You just might miss your flight, and the next one also.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Put it in checked luggage. It's definitely NOT worth the carry-on aggravation.

As an aside, I have carried brass for delivery as checked luggage and that has not been an issue.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you will probably be flying though Atlanta, I would recommend a checked bag as well. Brass would not be an issue, however, gun stock may cause a hiccup or two. That being said, it is amazing what I have carried in my carry-on over the years without any TSA problem.

Whistling

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i find the responses interesting. a month ago i posted a similar question-i.e., is it a problem taking used brass only( no shooting gear) to Africa in checked bags? the vast majority of responses said don't try it as it is an "armament component" and State Dept regs prohibit it's export without a license. i guess things have changed in the past month. BTW, I didn't try it after all the negative advice.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
If you are planning on leaving it in Africa you might want to check the U.S. laws regarding exportation of gun parts and reloading components. There's a good chance you'd be breaking U.S. law without the proper paperwork.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree I wouldn't try to carry on. Why not check it? Even the baggage monkeys couldn't possibly FU a synthetic stock and brass.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I were in Montana where she shot her first mule deer. She saved the empty brass and had it in her carry on. They would NOT let her keep it and took it away.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Here in New Zealand we are very casual about gun ownership and transportation as long as the law is followed.

However I had a bunch of Woodleigh bullets confiscated at Auckland airport as I was taking them for a friend in the US. The fussy and ignorant guy on the Xray machine raised the alarm and the staff just panicked. They were polite but very firm that the projectiles could not be in my carry on bag!

If that can happen in NZ, then I would bet my gun cabinet that it can happen in any other country! Even be prepared to get arrested, though you did not break the law.

Ignorant & arrogant officials in uniform have a special ability to arbitrarily stamp all over your basic rights!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Can I bring a synthetic gun stock and some empty brass in my carry on? Not taking a gun or gun case.
Please advice

If there is any gunpowder residue, it will not likely get past TSA. They wipe my stuff everytime. I would pack in like you pack a gun.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the other say: Don't even try to take those items in your carry-on. Firearms parts will almost surely get stopped. Then you'll need to deal with the delay. And that's in THIS country.

IF you are entering South Africa, you MIGHT get the brass into the country IF you have a rifle of the same caliber.

In Zimbabwe - well I would not even consider it. In Victoria Falls they x-ray all the arriving bags as well as the departing bags, and you are just asking for some "official" to attempt to supplement their income - or worse.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I made up a synthetic stock, PVC "barrel" with allthread down it and a short "scope" of coated galvanized pipe duct-taped on for hikes and workouts in prep for safaris. The security guard lady at my chemical plant did a search, and when she found it in my truck asked: "Do anything come out of that?" I tried to tell her it was like the girls with fake guns twirling flags and such at high school games. (She said not to bring that anymore.) dancing :-)

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i find the responses interesting. a month ago i posted a similar question-i.e., is it a problem taking used brass only( no shooting gear) to Africa in checked bags? the vast majority of responses said don't try it as it is an "armament component" and State Dept regs prohibit it's export without a license. i guess things have changed in the past month. BTW, I didn't try it after all the negative advice.....

Nothing has changed. "sheephunterab" is correct, good chance you are violating the law.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought a gun stock to Zim but put it in the gun box with my rifle. No questions and no problems.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the folks from the US may want to go back & edit their posts. A few posters have admitted to violating the law.

The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

See: https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/r...tions_laws/itar.html
and: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/te...1.0.1.13.58&rgn=div5
Pay attention to category 2 & 3

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bloody good advice!

quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
Some of the folks from the US may want to go back & edit their posts. A few posters have admitted to violating the law.

The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

See: https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/r...tions_laws/itar.html
and: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/te...1.0.1.13.58&rgn=div5
Pay attention to category 2 & 3

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
For carry on luggage the answer is no.

I was told by the airline of in states travel that i could carry on a shotgun stock. TSA answer was NO. So i had to go check it separate, as my checked bag was out of sight and i was not able to put it in my checked bag at that time.

For checked luggage the answer would be yes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As ken and others have said.

It is an ITAR violation.

Not us what the punishment is but anything that could get me sent to "pound me in the ass" or any other kind of prison or lose me my gun rights is a no go..

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS GUYS, GOOD ADVICE AS ALWAYS...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote