THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What are the "No Camo Allowed" Countries?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the "No Camo Allowed" Countries?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And would my camo day-pack be considered camo clothing?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm not sure about all countries, zim supposedly is outlawed but everybody wears it anyway, I think maybe in san francisco, washing DC, LA, Chicago, and new york its probably outlawed.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
A day-pack? On safari? What are you thinking? If you need a carryon there are better choices. If you think that you're going to carry anything, think again. The trackers and camp staff will be offended if you carry anything, that's their job. Shoot, you won't even have any excuse for a knife. C'mon, I know that you must have done this before, no?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I always take a daypack. I put my sunscreen, extra ammo, camera, binoculars, etc. in it. Stash my gloves and stocking cap in it once it warms up. Easy to keep organized what you need for the day and easy to carry to the truck in the morning.

I don't carry it while hunting. Leave it in the truck. At the end of the safari, I give the daypack to one of the trackers.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Sarge, I have done this before, and I carried a daypack.Smiler Like T.Carr said, it works well to organize my "stuff" that I want to take into the field (camera, bug juice, shed jacket, extra film, etc.). Also, I think I left it in the truck every day, but it was close by if I needed it.

And, It makes a great piece of carry-on luggage.

<DETCORD>
posted
I BELIEVE THE ZIMBABWE GOVERNMENT PROHIBITS "MILITARY" TYPE CAMO, WHICH WE USED IN VIETNAM, AND IS STILL WORN BY SOME IN THE ZIMBABWE ARMY.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
And would my camo day-pack be considered camo clothing?

There is no need, in my opinion, to wear camo in any African country. Don't worry about your camo daypack, no one is going to arrest you.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure which countries are of concern but my Ph strictly warned against it in Zim in '99. He even went so far as to threaten to confiscate the camo that some other guy in camp had brought. I am not sure he did or not but the PH seemed real serious about not posessing it in civilization. Out on the bush he said it didn't matter but in transit it was a possible source of real trouble. I didn't question it much I just did as asked prior to the hunt and didn't take any with me. I Namibia this year we asked the PH and he said no problem with camo. He did say it was not a good idea to wear it in town. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason about where it is OK or not. Maybe it depends on the particular government official you bump into and how much he needs a bribe. Good hunting.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I was told just to not flash it around in public, at airports etc.

I had a cammo bum bag which I use for all my hunting everywhere. Carry camera, extra water, first aid kit, extra ammo and film etc in it.

BTW when you are out hunting, on foot, 15 kilometres from the vehicle, have you ever seen a PH or one of the trackers carry a first aid kit or a bag with one in ?????

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Detcord:

Please don't use your CAPS LOCK. IT GRATES ON THE NERVES OF MYSELF AND SOME OF THE OTHER BROKEN DOWN OLD FARTS ON THIS FORUM.
Thank you,

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt a day pack would matter, but its a real good Idea not to wear camo anywhere in Africa, least you be accidently shot as an insurgent..

A daypack is a good idea on safari, good for camera, aspirin, gum,bug spray, extra ammo, but I usually leave it in the truck or let the tracker or staff carry it with water bottles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe and cammo- Under the state of emergency wearing of cammo by Civillians was banned. State of Emergency ended in 1992.

Still on the books though. No civillian may wear the current issue cammo (old Rhodesian Army Pattern), or the ZNA army pattern (issued to government troops between 1981 and 1996). The charge for doing so is impersonating a member of the armed forces.

Reality- Any real tree/mossy oak type "cammo" is fine. Desert type cammo in shades of Khaki and brown etc is fine - You can buy it in the flea markets.

Stay Away from dark cammo patterns that have lots of green in and that could consievably be misstaken for locall issue or worse - Brit Army issue cammo.

Somebody in SA makes a very good and effective line of vlue coloured cammo. Based on The Rhodesian Army pattern but in shades of blue. Anybody can see it is not "cammo" but most antelope don't seem to be able to see it and odly enough nore can baboons. Birds though see right through it!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Since you are from Zimbabwe, and since Zim is where I'm headed, I shall take your post as the final word.

Watch out world, here comes a camo day-pack!