THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunter killed by elephant in Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter killed by elephant in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
Just seen an report about an incident on the 14th of August 2017.

Does anybody have information on the incident?

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
The reports I saw said it was on Saturday and was a hunter from Argentina:

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...tinian-a7892126.html

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yep another one bites the dust.
Bit more info in this news item. Five hunters and they couldn't get a shot at the ele. Now that should cause some debate, must have been using bolt actions with only 3 down one up, just not enough firepower Eeker

Tragic ending but I guess that is dangerous game hunting, trusting in god won't help in these situations you got to do it yourself.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/...hant-in-namibia.html

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
What happened to dangerous game not being dangerous???

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Bit more info in this news item. Five hunters and they couldn't get a shot at the ele. Now that should cause some debate, must have been using bolt actions with only 3 down one up, just not enough firepower Eeker

Tragic ending but I guess that is dangerous game hunting, trusting in god won't help in these situations you got to do it yourself.

The PH is a good friend of mine and a very good PH, two bulls charged them, he killed one and the client ignored his request for everyone to stay close and retreat.
Client apparently ran in a different direction out of the help of the PH and unfortunately got killed.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Such a sad story. I once had a young PH run away when a bull came towards us and left me ... He later said that once the heart shot was gone .. I guess .. so was he. I actually forgot that he even existed as I was focused. Very hard not to be at such a time.

There seem to be a lot of people on this forum who never show fear towards the Big 5 and scoff at the mention of 'danger'. I reckon that we are all different ..

Poor man .... such a mistake.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
My instructor at my PH school was the legendary German/ Namibian Hunter Ronnie Rowlands. I was only 20 at the time and he was a great mentor to me. He said of elephant hunting - everyone is afraid of an elephant, it's how you control that fear that differentiates us. Be afraid of hunting with a man who isn't afraid of an elephant. He said to me afterwards that he knew I was one who would control my fear and that he recognized that in me.. Maybe he said it only to boost a young aspiring PH but I felt like a bigger man that day.

Ronnie hardly said anything but I would go hunt 100 elephant with him. He showed confidence and inspired confidence in others. That's the man you want as your PH on a DG hunt.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 404 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
quote:

The PH is a good friend of mine and a very good PH, two bulls charged them, he killed one and the client ignored his request for everyone to stay close and retreat.
Client apparently ran in a different direction out of the help of the PH and unfortunately got killed.

Thanks for the info Johann

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
How unfortunate and good on your mate to sort out one of the bulls.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine what it would be like as a PH on a hunt and losing a client. It's a very sad story.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
quote:

Yes a tragic ending for all concerned. I guess it highlights the adage of those early elephant hunters, well those that survived their years of hunting, stand and face the threat don't turn and run. Your PH friend did what he could in the circumstances and likely saved the lives of the others in the group but hard to help someone running off in another direction.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
What happened to dangerous game not being dangerous???

Nothing happened really other than another example, after reading the full account provided by Shona, where a hunter client didn't follow instructions from his PH and put himself in danger. The PH and everyone else in the party were okay.
In this case the client was dangerous and not only sadly lost his life but I would say has badly affected the lives of all others present including the PH who will be devastated. Don't think we should categorize or blame the animal.

Admittedly we do tend to use the term DG as a category for some animals whereas others who have probably caused as much harm are not.