Find
Notify
Tools

40 days and 40 nights
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
That is until the wife and I head for RSA on a 20 day safari.
My goals are Leopard and Zebra anything else is a bonus. Will be packing my CZ 550 9.3x62 for the trip. God knows I do love that rifle.
Shooting moa groups off of a sandbag at 100yds
and 3" off of sticks. I am not sleeping much these days in anticipation of the trip.
Been a real hard road to get there. 2 surgeries neck in Oct of 08 and then shoulder April 09.
Plus getting a new employer as my busines has been sold. Just bumps in the road and I am sure we will have more down the road.
Will be hunting with Motsomi Safaris and prettymuch left the trip in the paws of the kitty. Where he goes so will we.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you. Please do realize, however, that without pictures afterward we shall deny you ever hunted and assume the worst regarding your character Wink

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
EJ, the best and make the shot... Down to 11 days till the lion hunt in the Selous...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Mike , dittos to you as well.
no scratches on ya !
Are you sleeping ?

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ej,with whom and where are you hunting ?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
DOJ
We are hunting with Pieter at Motsomi Safaris.
Will be hunting all over Limpopo province, RSA
depending on the kitty. We left him in charge of the plan. We are just going with the flow
whatever that may be. No phones, no work,no hassles, no worries !

EJ Carter 2011

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ej,

Best of luck and have a great hunt. We are down to 56 days to Ethiopia, so I know what you are going through!!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Kathi,
Up at 3am after dreaming that I had a kitty in a full nelson and because of my injury could not snap its neck ala Tarzan. Just a bloody stalemate, woke up as the ph was going to shoot it/or me. wide awake since then, got to stop watching old tarzan movies.

EJ Carter 2011

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
May I wish you the very best of luck for this hunt!

As a point to note: Ej has actually "seen" the Limpopo Nature Conservation permit issued in his own name that quotes a CITES number. That is really the only way a foreign hunter can be sure that the leopard hunt he is offered and going on is legitimate!

Full marks for Pieter Potgieter of Motsomi Safaris [http://www.motsomi.com/hunting.html] for doing this in the correct manner by letting his client see the permit! All clients of every single hunting outfitter that ever books a leopard hunt should insist on seeing that all important piece of paper, or a copy thereof!

Again, best of luck!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Have a good one my friend, hunt safe and I look forward to seeing a whole bunch of great pics when you get home!

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
May I wish you the very best of luck for this hunt!

As a point to note: Ej has actually "seen" the Limpopo Nature Conservation permit issued in his own name that quotes a CITES number. That is really the only way a foreign hunter can be sure that the leopard hunt he is offered and going on is legitimate!

Full marks for Pieter Potgieter of Motsomi Safaris [http://www.motsomi.com/hunting.html] for doing this in the correct manner by letting his client see the permit! All clients of every single hunting outfitter that ever books a leopard hunt should insist on seeing that all important piece of paper, or a copy thereof!

Again, best of luck!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

thumb

Have a good one!

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and good hunting.
What rounds are you taking? Do you prefer the 9.3 to the 375?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Terry,
The 9.3 is my largest cal. I own. will be using it on the PG with norma oryx 285 gr. she really likes them and they should put everything down if I shoot proper.
I will be using something bigger once over there on the kitty at my request.taxidermy sewing is cheaper than stitches from a DR.
Will have plenty of daylight for shooting.
Thanks for the well wishes , i will need them as the odds are long. regardless we will have an adventure.

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I know time is short but IMHO the Norma plastic point in the 9.3x62 would be dynamite on spots. Have a great trip.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
well still not sleeping much ! 22 days to go.All I seem to do is gaze off into the woods every chance I get. no nightmares , just wishes of being somewhere else.
still have a couple of range sessions with the sticks and off the bench but shoulder and rifle holding up well. rehab 3 x a day is getting old but needed.

Andrew will give you a call when we are over, look forward to the chat , hopefully with good news. Steve will try you as well. Cheers.

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to hear about a big leopard in the salt!

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
You'll be forgettin gall those usual worries within 5 minutes into the hunt. And on night 19 you'll be wondering why you didn't plan for 30 days hunting.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote