New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wildcats in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is a thought for all of our future hunting trips. Many (all?) of us have multiple rifles in a wide and wonderful range of calibers. When going on a trip, find out what your PH is shooting. If you have the same caliber rifle in your safe, take that one, along with the maximum allowable amount of ammunition composed of brand new cases, a standard velocity loading, and premium bullets. When the hunt is over swap out the PH's worn out cases for totally fresh ammo. Without PH's we can't hunt. We should take care of them in every way that we can.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
LE270.

Yeah, this is all UN instigated to limit the trade in small arms. The UN professes peace but in reality it is just a bunch of dictators with the intent of disarming the citizenry. Voting doesn't mean shit without the guns to back it up.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it a problem using a wildcat cartridge in Africa? Is it true that the ammo needs to match the stamp on the bbl? I'm thinking that a 9.3x338 Win Mag would be terrific--matching or exceeding the 9.3x64 with brass aplenty. I've never hunted in Africa yet, but my brother is going to work on a safari in Zambia which means I will eventually go there to hunt with him!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
No it is NOT.

I am almost sure this bullshit was started by Art Alpin, who loaded some wildcats as factory rounds.

I have been to Africa many times, always hunted with wilcats after my very first hunt.

In 3 African countries, and the only checks they ever made on my ammo was count it.

Go and enjoy your hunt

Posts: 68742 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, but it only takes one time, now, doesn't it?

Best to be safe and get your headstamp right--if possible.

The risk is small, and I would run it, as long as I had another rifle along that would fill in for the wildcat if need be.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
glichti

I don't know anyone who had any trouble with headstamps this.

My experience is that African customs officers, police and other authorities is very practical, they also like gratifications

Why not go for the 9,3X64? There are companies who make 9,3X64 cases from 300 win, 338 win and 458 win by turning off the belt etc.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

I have been using proprietary cartridge rifles in Africa on 8 trips. So far, I have never lost my ammo, however, I did have my bags delayed by several days on two occasions. Considering that I had the bolts to my rifles in the bags, replacement ammo would not have mattered.

As protection however, I have 20 rounds each for my two rifles with my PH as insurance. He also has reloading capability if push comes to shove.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote