THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunting Africa after knee replacement

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Africa after knee replacement
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had my left knee replaced last summer and will have the right knee replaced this summer. Other than not being able to kneel on my left knee, I'm back to normal. I have no problems with dragging deer out the woods or hiking back to little brook trout streams. I slogged through the mud and muck of this duck season without incident. I mention the duck season as this was always the activity that generated the most pain prior to the replacement.

For those of you who have had a knee replacement, did it impede your ability to hunt Africa? I'm planning my first PG trip and don't want to book something that I can't physically complete. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will have some effect, especially kneeling. Long walks will take their toll. I speak from experience since I have had one knee rebuilt and several operations on the second knee. I Riding in vehicles over rough roads caused most of the problems. But, that did not stop me. Go for it. It is worth the what pain you will have. Just becareful and not step in any holes or twist the knees. I found that the biggest problem I had on my last trip to africa.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two PH's who post here, Buzz Charlton and Shakari (Steve Robinson), have guided handicapped hunters to elephant and buff respectively, so plains game ought not be an issue, especially if you made it through our duck season this year, as wet as it was and with with all of the mud and ice...

BTW, I had a great duck and goose season, how did you fare?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I am curious too, I go home today from rehab, just got my right knee done two weeks ago!

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go. Your new knee will be fine. Just tell the PH what you can and cannot do. My daughter went to Africa 5 weeks after her second ACL recontruction. Rest when you need to and walk when you want to.

Go.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK- We wore the divers out and had a few good mallard & black duck shoots

My favorite photo of the season

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton's 2nd DVD Zambezi Extreme has a hunter on it hunting Elephant and he is using crutches. You see him wading through the river and walking through some very thick bush.

Dont let it stop you from going. Just talk to your PH before you start hunting.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 707 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a double knee replacement in July '09 and despite the rigorous physical therapy program post surgery, I'm still having some pain issues with my left knee/leg. I also find that walking on uneven terrain & up and down grades is still a bit challenging. If I were you, I would have the other knee replaced before commiting to non refundable hunt deposits. May just be that a "double" requires a little more recovery time, but to be safe, I'm waiting till 2011 for my first DG/PG hunt. Good Luck!

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to Steve Robinson fairly in some detail about hunting with leg problem ie. one legged hunter(ME) he assured me that it wa not a major problem a hunt could be worked around my disability. so knee should not be a problem. just be sure your outfitter and PH both undersatnd you ability's or lack of

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handicapped hunters, are you kidding?? Geez, louise. I just had a total knee last month. It will turn me loose to a new level. I have been in knee preservation mode for the last ten years which meant Africa most every year, since sheep hunting was out. Luckily, Africa lends itself to bad knees. I have tried to stay out areas that aren't tough for vertically challeged. I am fit and fairly young (50's) in comparison to the average knee recipient. Technology and less invasive procedures have changed the game, especially in the last few years. If you are planning a replacement, spend some time doing your research on the professionals involved. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors in the field are slow to adapt. I am planning new frontiers, not the handicapped parking section at Cabelas.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZZZ, I like your attitude! I feel the same way as I am only in my 40's. I will use my temporary capper tag for a few weeks though!

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a few years until I start counting birthdays beginning with a five. The new knee is performing well and I expect it to continue to do so. I was concerned that my inability to kneel or crawl on hands and knees would be a limiting factor. After ZZZ's post, I adapted and made a crabwalk transit of the first floor of the house with ease and to the amusement of my spouse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What prevents kneeling anyway? Is it just painful or does one lose range? Right now I can just manage 110 degree when sitting. Too swollen and painful to push my leg back any further than that at the moment.

Boon, at least you can crab walk, I did a lot of that when stalking impala in the past.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I conducted a hunt with an 70 year old client a few years ago who had recently had replacement hips and knees and had a few other things wrong with him as well.

We had 21 days hunting in Tanzania where he took everything he wanted including 3 Buff, a lion and a fabulous east African eland (below)

The client clicked a bit when he walked but was a stubborn man, fantastic company and a great hunter..... and he became a good friend!

If he can do that then so can anyone else. I think for the client, it's more a case of mental toughness than anything else and for the PH, it's a case of being professional and keeping an eye on the client to see how he's doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any PH worth his or her salt should be able to show you a good PG hunt. I hunted PG in RSA before I had my knee replaced and couldn't walk a hundred yards in a week but my PH handled things just fine. He told me he wouldn't hunt me for Buffalo etc until I had my knee replaced. I had it replaced and have hunted the Big five since. I can walk with out too much trouble but just can't do it like I did 50 yrs ago. Go you will have a good time. Also that is why they make shooting sticks so you can shoot standing upright. Instead of crawling (when needed) I butt scoot. They most important thing is DO YOUR PT!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zzz:
Handicapped hunters, are you kidding?? Geez, louise. I just had a total knee last month. It will turn me loose to a new level. I have been in knee preservation mode for the last ten years which meant Africa most every year, since sheep hunting was out. Luckily, Africa lends itself to bad knees. I have tried to stay out areas that aren't tough for vertically challeged. I am fit and fairly young (50's) in comparison to the average knee recipient. Technology and less invasive procedures have changed the game, especially in the last few years. If you are planning a replacement, spend some time doing your research on the professionals involved. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors in the field are slow to adapt. I am planning new frontiers, not the handicapped parking section at Cabelas.

Knucklehead,

That was the point. Buzz has hunted with a fellow who had but one working leg, the other damaged beyond repair in a motorcycle accident. Shakari has hunted wheelchair bound hunters. Examples like this, true pros working around fellows' disabilities, make hunting on a bum kneee nothing, let alone a replaced or repaired knee.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boondoggle:
JPK- We wore the divers out and had a few good mallard & black duck shoots

My favorite photo of the season

Nice collection of Cans, with a Widgeon bonus!

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A very important part of being a Professional Hunter is being professional and part of that is knowing and understanding the client's limitations and finding a way to work around them.

Admittedly a lot of that comes with experience but the same can be said of most things in life.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What prevents kneeling anyway? Is it just painful or does one lose range?

When the procedure is done...the suprapatellar fat pad is removed making kneeling painful even if good range of motion is achieved post-op.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Boondoggle:
Great question. I passed on a hunt in 2007 as knee pain had been growing greater every year throughout 5 operations beginning in 1981. I had the knee replacement in January in 2008 and (this is most important) did 200% of my rehab exercises. I was on the mechanical knee range machine for 8 hours a a day and began walking on a walker, then crutches, and then a cane as soon as I was able. There is absolutely NO pain at all now and in 2008 I took a good buff with a .600 John Wilkes in Zimbabwe. A fat lady I know had the same operation and only did exercises when she went to the rehab place and she still has pain and probably will never be right with it. Take care of yourself and you'll run down your kudu or buff or out run a charging lion when your rile jams. Good luck with it, mate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK, I have never been called a name on this venue (knucklehead- maybe said in jest, but taken as if you were trying to feel important).
I don’t read this sight enough to know you from Mark Sullivan, but I must assume your egos are very similar.
I just noticed this will be my 87th post on the website I began reading this sight around 1999 and started posting a few years later. I lurk in the shadows. JPK, our little mini-exchange makes me realize I have better things to do.
I will now make my last post here by saying if I offended you with my exuberance in celebrating my new knee, tough. If I have misinterpreted your name calling, oops. To the rest of you, I apologize in advance for this rant. Just call it an impromptu “Harper Valley PTA” moment.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of harsh, JPK. May you be fortunate enough to never need your knees replaced.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote