New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI/Africa??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A lot of folks here like to continually give SCI a bad rap on not doing enough in Africa. Well, it seems $1.2 million was raised in ONE NIGHT at the recent Convention in Reno and it's ALL earmarked for Lion studies, Lion Conservation and to protect Lion hunting. That would be African Lions if I am not mistaken. I daresay that there is not any orgainization out there that could come near this effort in a year, let alone a single night. If this doesn't shut the naysayers up then they are a lost cause and we just move on.

Also the Honorable Sylvia T. Masebo, MP, Zambia Minister of Tourism and Arts addressed the Board of Directors at the Convention in Reno. She personally invited SCI to "Play a Major Role" in the future of hunting in Zambia. SCI has accepted this invitation and pledged it's full support according to SCI news sources.

A couple of pretty major accomplishments and it shows that SCI really is on top of current events and problems Worldwide I would say.

I am sure there are some here that will still belittle the efforts so flame away. popcorn

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is fantastic to hear Larry.

Last year we sent out $150,000 for conservation in Africa.

We have $100,000 ear marked for two projects already this year.

But can you enlighten us on what SCI has done in the past for African conservation?

I sat and did a google search, and all I came up with was less than $70,000 over several years.

We need to keep hearing positive news about SCI instead of the negative feedback we seem to hear.

After all all the past bad decisions they have made, and they still accept donations from shady characters like Arnold Payne?

Imagine how happy SCI members would have been to hear that SCI has refused to accept his donations.

Instead, we hear very respectable PHs from Zimbabwe come here and point this out.

SCI needs to make some drastic changes to their policies, instead of accepting whatever they get from whomever they are.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, it seems $1.2 million was raised in ONE NIGHT at the recent Convention in Reno and it's ALL earmarked for Lion studies, Lion Conservation and to protect Lion hunting.

Yep, $1.2 million raised from other people's money! and the one time that SCI being under intense pressure as a result of the USF&W Lion listing saga among others, was in a way obliged to make some kind of effort to save face!

Its a good start however and let's hope to see some more similar efforts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW - ALL monies raised for SCI projects are from "other peoples money", that's why the Convention is called a "fundraiser". Since SCI is not a retail business, that is their only source of funding. You know this I am sure so don't really know what you are getting at but such a remark? Confused

No body was under any pressure as far as I know, just very concerened individuals who have the means to contribute doing something they "chose willingly" to do. It is a "VERY GOOD" start so hopefully "other" folks and organizations will put their money where their mouths are and step to the plate?

Kudos Saeed for your group helping. Fighting the antis will takes lots of $$$ and effort by ALL hunters.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Well, it seems $1.2 million was raised in ONE NIGHT at the recent Convention in Reno and it's ALL earmarked for Lion studies, Lion Conservation and to protect Lion hunting.

Yep, $1.2 million raised from other people's money! and the one time that SCI being under intense pressure as a result of the USF&W Lion listing saga among others, was in a way obliged to make some kind of effort to save face!

Its a good start however and let's hope to see some more similar efforts.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I support SCI, MDF, DSC, etc and hope that some of what they do goes to where they claim it goes. I know that no organization is perfect but try and support them all. We all support different things for different reasons.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too support the above organizations, particularly on my local level. It gets more complicated, however, to know whats happening vis-a-vis the national or international levels. I use websites such as Charity Navigator (itself a non-profit organization that "rates" other non-profits) to decide,in part, where my $$ goes. Are most dollars being spent in the field, or for buying mahogany desks and travel expenses for the "suits"? Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation, for example, always gets very high marks. Some others, not so much...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an additional sidenote. SCI did raise an additional $14.8 million for Hunter Advocacy and Wildlife Conservation, plus $235,600 for SCIs' Political Action Committee and nearly a $100,000 for the Hunter Defense Fund this year in Reno.

I think a lot of us, who are African Addicts, forget SCI supports hunting and protects hunters' rights on all Continents Worldwide. Actually those of us that hunt Africa constitute a small overall percent of all things Hunting. Off the box now.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I was at the dinner that night sitting next to Johnnie DuPlooy when he contributed $10,000. He was convienced that without the help of SCI, hunting in Zambia will be lost forever.

It was amazing to watch people donate without pressure and nothing to gain but helping save the African lion.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 4 tables at the sci convention. I also bought 40 sci pac tickets and those weren't cheap. However Im not sure I can donate much more. I've read write ups and talked to people about the pac and it seems when you contribute to them that money is inaccessible to the president of sci to fund personal whitetail hunting trips to hunters haven lodge. That's why I dropped $100 a ticket on the pac rafle. I feel my money is going straight to fight the anti's. I also purchased the 4 tables simply to donate in "hopes" my money will go to the right cause but Im a little disheartened when all you see at the banquet are a bunch of rich people so out of touch with society that all they care to do is pat each other on the back and tout how they are such good and conservation minded hunters. We all know its about conservation. That's why we are there. Why do we need to get into an argument about whos the best conservationist?

A lot of people have a problem with people needing recognition for hunting. THat is what the griping is about. Most of us hunt because it is our passion. Not because we are concerned about getting recognition for the tiny 10 or big 5. When it becomes about recognition its time to throw in the towel.

I had a full intention of going to sci and opening my wallet in a big way. However when I saw that the program was based on self recognition and that people have become out of touch with hunting I closed my wallet and left. I didn't donate one more dime. I will contribute to the conservation effort by purchasing full priced safaris. At least then I know my money is hitting the ground and paying for anti poaching patrols and benefitting the people directly responsible for conserving those animals. I am now of the mindset that the best way to help is to donate directly to sci pac and to actually buy hunts. In particular free range hunts where the locals are directly benefiting from my dollar. Just my two cents.

Posts: 54 | Location: NM USA | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stomper - I am not big on the whole awards deal but it is plain to see that it is a way to keep people (members) engaged, interested and active in the sport - in between hunts.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Stomper - Like Matt not big on the awards deal but fully agree that it gives hunters a "map" and a plan for planning future hunts ,and gets hunters into all corners of the world hunting the huge diversity of wildlife instead of staying in one country one continet with one outfitter. Like you I have donated hugely to SCI both at Chapter level and National level because of my belief that we need to support SCI as the top org. protecting hunters and hunting rights , which leads me to my response to LarrySellers :
Larry we donated over 50 high quality plains game hunts in our KD1 and KD 2 Kalahari concessions in the mid 2000's to both chapter and national donation programs , this was prime Black Mane Lion territory, we also donated close to $500 000-00 in Elephant hunt donations over 15 years. I may be speaking out of turn but could you enlighten me as to how SCI has protected the rights of hunters to hunt in Botswana which is now closing at the end of the year, in 2007 they closed Lion hunting and in 2012 closed Leopard hunting , I am not aware of any SCI initiative to defend hunting in Botswana, but I may be wrong and am open to correction. Between all the Botswana outfitters we may have donated in excess of a few million USA $ to SCI's goal , but the silence has been deafening - if there is any other member who can correct me I would appreciate it. Yes we all hear the countless success on USA soil which we all appluade and fully support, but we are seeing Botswana close , Zambia close behind and with the huge money and support for anti hunting organizations many more african closures are emminent be its species or country.
I truly believe all hunters support the vision of SCI but SCI is failing and has failed us and what you are seeing is the pot of discontent is boiling , so yes I support your support of SCI but not its current leadership and until there is radical change - this ship that is so way of course is heading for the rocks in my opinion.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

How does one apply for your funding. The Zimbabwe Hunters Associations Rifa Education Conservation camp could do with help!!!

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Please read this as constructive and not personal. As you well know, what is in the past cannot be taken in the context of today.

I find it somewhat disquieting that you, and many others; still damn SCI with faint praise, then continue to hammer them for what you consider past shortcomings.

They are not SCI-African Lion Hunting Society.
Does DSC contribute more to conservation?

Try and be happy that they are doing what they are today.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
killpc

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote