THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best "bang for the buck" in Southern Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best "bang for the buck" in Southern Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I used to pride myself on how much I researched and kept up with all the current outfitters and operations in both South Africa and Namibia. That was a time when I was younger and life wasn't as busy for me. Now, I don't have the time to spend countless hours online researching hundreds of operations like I used to. I am now engaged, and in the middle of planning a wedding. Spare time isn't as common as it once was....haha.

Basically, I'm wondering what the best "bang for the buck" hunting operations are in either RSA or Namibia these days. It's certainly not an emergency, but I am hoping to go within the next 3 years.

I would like to hunt for 10-14 days with the priority being to take quality animals of the species that are either not obtainable on private ranches here in Texas, or are very expensive to take here. These would mainly consist of Kudu, Hartebeest, Nyala, Black Wildebeest, Duiker, Steenbok, Impala, Blesbok, Springbok, Warthog, Klipspringer, Bushbuck, and Reedbuck. I know all of these typically don't occur in the same areas, but I don't have to get all of them in the same trip.

The Eastern Cape seems to be a very good option (although I would prefer to shoot larger Kudu than are found there). I recently looked at John X Safaris' pricing and they seem very competitive. I am wanting suggestions for the best priced operations (without sacrificing the quality of the experience).

Any thoughts?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
All those species occur in the Eastern cape of South Africa. Roughly 1-2 hrs around an about the lodge and you'll find all of them and mostly free range on low fence cattle ranches
Best regards

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Botswana for massive Kudu and some of the rest. Big game country.

Got a mate there who could probably offer you some great hunting for $400 a day. PM me and I will send you his details.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
You'll find all those species in the Eastern Cape at very affordable rates. There are many first class outfitters in the Eastern Cape offering good hunting and hospitality.Our lodge is situated 90 minutes from Port Elizabeth, feel free to contact me for a quote.

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 390 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
My group price with Tholo is $7660 (including tax) for 9 nights, 8 hunt days with trophy fees for eland, kudu, gemsbok, zebra, blue wildebeest, impala and jackal included. Great camp, 250,000 acres and incredible game numbers and quality. This is a 2x1 price and no one had any problems getting their animals on 2x1 last year. 1x1 is about $900 more.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM Sent,

Les Howell

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
My group price with Tholo is $7660 (including tax) for 9 nights, 8 hunt days with trophy fees for eland, kudu, gemsbok, zebra, blue wildebeest, impala and jackal included. Great camp, 250,000 acres and incredible game numbers and quality. This is a 2x1 price and no one had any problems getting their animals on 2x1 last year. 1x1 is about $900 more.

Tim,

I have seriously considered Tholo or Kanana. What are the logistical differences of getting to/from Botswana compared to RSA? Also, what about the difference in price for the additional travel?

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
It was one added 1.5 hour flight to Maun from Joburg and then a 3 hour drive to camp. SO not a big deal at all. Kanana is no longer doing hunts and Jason is at Tholo. That flight is about $400. Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss...would be happy to have you go with us sometime...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Watson:
You'll find all those species in the Eastern Cape at very affordable rates. There are many first class outfitters in the Eastern Cape offering good hunting and hospitality.Our lodge is situated 90 minutes from Port Elizabeth, feel free to contact me for a quote.

Victor Watson

Victor,

Your prices are among the best I've seen recently. We will be in touch at some point I'm sure.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Check out

http://www.spiralhorn.co.za

He is putting together something pretty special.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Settlers Safaris, located near Grahamstown S.A. About an hour and a half drive out of Port Elizabeth. They have quality facilities, staff and the animals that you are after.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/

100%, no doubt, go here. Our own Greg Brownlee books for them. Huge unfenced area, great game populations, and wonderful people running the whole outfit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tholo with Jason Bridger.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Tholo. The extra cost of the flight compared with the quality of the operation and hunting is insignificant.

Our hunt last May:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/5591093112

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome pic RAC. I"m gonna do that Tholo deal some day.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
Hey Wade.

Eastern Cape is one of the best places to look at.
Hope you find what your looking for and enjoy your hunt.

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote