New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I see Ruger makes the #1 in alot of heavy calibers, do any of you use a single shot on dangerous game? If it's not a good idea, why does Ruger chamber them for heavy calibers? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE USED A RUGER #1 IN 338 WIN MAG FOR PLAINS GAME AND DID VERY WELL. I NOW ALSO HAVE A RUGER #1 IN 375 H&H I AM PLANNING TO USE FOR BUFFALO WHEN I GET TO GO AGAIN. AS WITH ANY RIFLE PRACTICE IS THE KEY. YOUR FIRST SHOT IS THE MONEY SHOT, FOLLOW UP SHOTS CAN BE VERY FAST WITH PRACTICE.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's not a good idea, why does Ruger chamber them for heavy calibers?

Apparently the Ruger market research guys convinced management there is a market for single shot rifles in dangerous game calibers. I doubt if any of them (the marketers) hunt much less hunt dangerous game. Doesn't matter - the question is what will sell; not what is prudent. Wink

My guess is that most of these rifles are purchased to shoot at the range, at deer camp, bear camp, etc. Fact is, it's a lot of fun shooting big bores. It's also a lot of fun showing your big bores to fellow hunters and shooters. Heck, it's a lot of fun just holding those cigar-sized rounds in your hands. (I suspect the shrinks tie all this to penis size?)

With all that said, some do use single shots on dangerous game. There is a thread on that topic somewhere on this board. Some also hunt elephants and cape buffalo with a bow.

That ain't me. I want quick follow up shots on critters that bite back - from my rifle, not my PH's if it can be avoided.

Now let's sit back and watch the debate. sofa

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic crops up regularly. I use a magazine rifle that holds 10 or a double depending on circumstances. That said, however, I have never been in a situation where a fast second shot from the client has/would have altered the situation.

I use to guide a fair number of Black Powder hunters who came to Zim after dangerous game - I did most of the ground work to get it legalised and was one of the few folks in zim with stocks of sporting Black powder. Never lost an animal. Guided a couple who have used Ruger No 1's. Never lost an animal. Wish I could say the same about the lads with repeaters Wink.

Also, practice makes up for many deficiencies. There is a .375 Ruger No 1 that is still doing the rounds in Zim as an appies rifle. Been cropping up regularly since the mid 90's at least. No Apprentice using it has ever failed the shooting exam - or the proficiency. It is a 'good luck' rifle - but also the lads who get it put in the extra practice Wink. Details of the zim shooting exam are in terry carr's threads. I also know one good PH (who occasionally posts here) who uses one in .500NE for dangerous game back up.

If you appreciate the finer points of a single shot - by all means get one. Practice with it, enjoy it, and it will serve you well - in both the USA and Africa.

Small point, but if you are going to buy a big bore, make sure it is one that is easy to down load (like .450 NE or .458 Lott) so you can use it for pigs and close country work at home, and range work doesn't kill you whilst you are getting 100% comfortable with it, or get a 'dual purpose' round like .375 H&H or perhaps 9,3x74R. With a 1,5-6 scope on it they are great for allmost all plains game out to 250m and will serve you perfectly adequately on an African safari.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana

Excellent post.

I would not be afraid to hunt African DG with a Ruger No1.

I have hunted with a No1 in 243 and 45/70 quite a bit.

I carry extra shells in a butt stock shell carrier for quick fumble free reloads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
If my memory serves me, in the nitro express hayday, the farquharson rifle was the most used, followed by the double, then the bolt. I would venture a guess that far more hunters are mauled to due poor shot placement than lack of a follow up shot.

Personally, I've been known to be guilty on passing up a passable shot to wait for a great shot and watching something trot away, but hunting with BP, Bow, or Handgun teaches you patience. Or to coin a borrowed phrase, "A man's got to know his limitations."

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I have a heavy caliber Ruger #1, but have never used it in Africa -- I always use a handgun there, usually a single shot handgun when it comes to dangerous game.

Certainly having the capability of a fast 2nd shot reduces the risk, but the shot that really counts is the 1st one -- put that one in the right place and the need for the fast 2nd shot usually disappears.

Now, if I didn't have a 1st rate PH backing me up in the event of a screw-up on my part, I'd certainly feel differently about the entire matter! I've not yet had a PH have to come to my rescue, but it is a certainty that if I hunt long enough, it will one day be necessary.

None of that, however, argues persuasively against using a single shot gun in Africa. And the single shot gun DOES make one pay proper homage to that 1st shot!

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't own a #1, however I have had few situations where a second shot could not be made with some practice with the single shot. If anything, I think a single shot urges one to make the first shot count. Do not discount the sex appeal of the large cartridge in a good looking rifle. Myguess is many here have a safe queen or 3!

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
A Ruger #1 in a 40cal.+ cartridge will work... But like many before, accurate shooting counts more then how big the rifle is... A 450/400, a 450 3 1/4 in., 458 win, or 458 Lott...

Here are just a few of some choices available for you..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only hunted water buffalo in Australia, & used a .458 Lott bolt gun, but I'd not hesitate to do it again using my 450/400 Ruger #1. In fact, I recently hunted Alaska & killed a very nice brown bear, & I'd use a #1 there also if that's what I felt comfortable shooting.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ditch:
Hi guys, I see Ruger makes the #1 in alot of heavy calibers, do any of you use a single shot on dangerous game? If it's not a good idea, why does Ruger chamber them for heavy calibers? Thanks.

I hunted in the Selous with a No 1 in 416 Rem. Killed two cape buffalo with no problems. An accurate first shot, being familiar with your rifle, and not admiring your first shot are more important than the type of action.
I brought the No 1 because at the time it was the only true big bore I owned. I would hunt buffalo with it again without reservation.

That being said I am using a K-gun double in 470 for my elephant hunt in October, but the same things apply as the single shot: accurate first shot, know your rifle, do not admire the shot.