New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Wby in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here used the 270 Wby in Africa? If so, on what species and with what success?

Thanks

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fergus,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not used the 270 Weatherby, but would imagine it to be one of the best calibers to consider for all the plains game.

I have used various 270 caliber wildcats - 270 Ackley, 270/7mm Dakota and the 270/404 on all the plains game in Africa.

Bullets used were 130 Barnes X, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws 140 and Jensen 150 grain bullets.

Every single one of them performed very well, and between them, I would imagine I have killed over 300 game animals.

Ranging in size from klipspringers to eland, and everything in between.

My only suggestion is that you use premium bullets.

Posts: 68696 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 270wby on Impala,blesbok,warthogs,baboon,black wildebeast,etc. It worked very well with 140 ballistic tips,as well as 150 partitions. The wildebeast was shot twice , first shot was 250yds broadside it rolled him over. Then he got up holding his front leg off the ground and went over a hill. It took me sometime to reach the top of the hill,and he had moved further downhill, my next shot was about 350yds downhill into his back ,that dropped him. The other animals died almost instantly, I will say it works on deer in the states very well. It is a rocket!

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the most over looked long range rifle in the history of gundom...I suggest that here lies a case for premium bullets, and not a better plainsgame caliber exists..shoots flatter than most any other caliber that I can think off...Never used it but would still guarentee it a great choice, based on my use of the standard .270, Its just more of the same with extended range....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote