Find
Notify
Tools

To Lukwika via Selous
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted
I writing this from Dubai Airport on way to Dar-es-Salam to do a 21 days Elephant hunt with Miombo Safaris. This hunt was booked last year and the plan is a side trip to Selous for Crocodile and Niassa Wildebeest, then to hunt Elephant in Miombo’s Lukwika area. I have hunted ele before in Zambezi valley but was not successful because there were other distractions that time and I was looking for something in the region of 45lbs, which I never found.

Unfortunately, my life long hunting buddy, my father had to pull out of this trip day before yesterday due to his business commitments.

Although I have hunted all my life, I am just realizing that this will actually be my first ever hunting trip alone! I always enjoyed sharing ups and downs of a hunting trip with my loved ones, however, this time I will have to do alone and compensate by taking extra photos and video for them to see.

I will update on return.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and we are all waiting for the report upon your return!

Here's to a big tusker for you!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Ahmed. Too bad about your father dropping out.

I've hunted both ways, with friends and alone, and I enjoy both. Good hunting!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good luck Ahmed!! Shoot a big one!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Take a old one..

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Ahmed, Darren will take good care of you!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Ahmed, know doubt you will have a great time.
With conditions quite dry in that area, the Jumbo should be concentrated around any water (Rivuma River). This was the case in East Niassa earlier this month (just south of this area).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good luck and we are all waiting for the report upon your return!

+1

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good luck, good hunting and shoot straight. I am sorry your father had to drop out... but doesn't that mean you can shoot his alloted quota? You have to look for the silver lining in the clouds! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good hunting and best of luck to you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Ahmed. You are taking the safari I have longed after. Is Michael going to be your PH? Shoot a Lukwika monster!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll have a great time. Great folks and Miombo's block in the Selous is something else -- quite hilly. Haven't been to Lukwika -- yet.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good hunting!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Ahmed, I am sure you will have a great hunt; I look forward to reading your report.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm eagerly awaiting your report!

But, reading it will get expensive -- I'll be booking another hunt before I'm half through it.

Sorry to hear about your father. I lost mine many years ago, but I still think about him when I hunt -- usually the lessons!

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Ahmed, know doubt you will have a great time.
With conditions quite dry in that area, the Jumbo should be concentrated around any water (Rivuma River). This was the case in East Niassa earlier this month (just south of this area).

Ahmed:

More likely to find them in the vicinity of the cashew plantations and along the thickets lining the dry
river beds where they dig for water (abundant supply). You shouldn't have a problem getting one in the 45lbs. range.
Plenty of excellent Kudu and Red Duiker in the area as well - no shortage of Leopard.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you Ahmed,
good hunting and be safe

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, thank you for all the well wishes. I am just back from the hunt and a lot of work to catch up at the office.

I am very tired but I have heard that someone shot a 80+ pounder with Miombo Safaris, it may even be me! Detail hunt report will follow.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, mate. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your hunt. Pity your father can't make it, but hunting alone can have it's own fasination as well, especially if you have a good PH. Dont try too hard to fill those spells of silcence that you will inevitably have between you during a long day. Some people find them uncomfortable, but just take them as the norm and relax into it.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations On the Ele and Duiker Ahmed.

Posts: 30 | Location: Casper Wyo | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am very tired but I have heard that someone shot a 80+ pounder with Miombo Safaris, it may even be me! Detail hunt report will follow.

Ahmed Sultan

beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahmed - I just got an email from Darren, sounds like you guys had FUN. Congrats!!

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ahmed - looking forward to the report and pictures.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
80 pounds!!!!! Good for you.

Posts: 11997 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
80+lbs. EA ivory. Probably 20 feet long I imagine. Roll Eyes Big Grin I'm on pins and needles!!!! Pictures please!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Ele Pics http://www.miombosafaris.com/t...ery/season-2009.html

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
What a toad!!!!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull. Well done, Ahmed.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!!! Can you say evenly matched!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ahmed, what a fantastic bull!

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Nice one thumb

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Ahmed,

way to go, what an awesome Bull Eeker

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how you'd top last year's lion...Well done!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Was talking to some of he Ph's from Miambo safaris and they have been seeing very nice jumbos this year...

Good luck and make the shot..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ahmed! I can't wait for your hunt report.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Ahmed!!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
Super Bull Ahmed!!!!

Now when is that report going to be ready?

Thanks. The report is ready with some very interesting photos, however, I am waiting for some hunt related issues to be sorted by the outfitter, which should conclude in a week or two.

Ahmed Sultan