THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Single shots rifles on safari -- P.H advice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single shots rifles on safari -- P.H advice
 Login/Join

<RAO>
posted
Do you recomend single shot rifles on safari,and how many have you seen. What caliber do you recomend if rifle is brought as single weapon for larger antelope,buffalo and possible lion.

<Jagermeister>
posted
I think that in past threads on this topic, some people have said that if the rifleman is competent with a single shot, there's no problem, and some don't even mind it on even dangerous game if the shooter can reload fast. This is just to give you some sort of answer, based on what's been said before. Tot Siens

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of game has been taken with Muzzle loaders, single shot handguns and archery. So as long as you accept the possibilty of a PH making a finishing shot if the second one from you is to slow to stop or solve a problem then a single shot rifle is fine.

Few animals need a second shot when hit with the first one in the right spot, and when in a calm state of mind. Any excited or stressed animal usually take more Killing then a calm and un-aware animal.

I would suggest a minimum of 375HH if you have buffalo on the list.

Jagermiester: Totsiens is one word.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One of the favorite rifles of Frederick Courteny Selous was, a single shot Gibbs Farquharson, the rifle that was the inspiration for the Ruger No1. Actually single shots were one of the most used rifle types in the Africa of 1900/1930, the golden age of African ivory hunting.

Paired with a double rifle, a single shot chambered for the same round as the double rifle was one of the most common batteries of the turn of the century to the 1930s for ivory hunters of Kenya, and Tanyanika. I myself have three Ruger No1s chambered for the same ammo as a double rifle, and am looking for a suitable No1 the re-bore, and re-chamber to 9.3X74R, to match my newest double rifle.

As long as you are hunting with a PH, which will be all the time, for most foreigners, I see nothing wrong with hunting with a quality single shot, of adequate power. The place where you will be at a disadvantage, with a single shot "ONLY" is,if you need to go into the weeds to sort out a wounded Buffalo, or other bite,stomp, and scratch, beasty. I wouldn't even attempt this with a single shot, and I consider it my responcibility to finish what I start, so I will not hunt where there is dangerous game with a singleshot ONLY. Though most of the old ivory hunters used the singleshots, they usually had two or three, with a trusted tracker, reloading them as fast as the hunter could shoot, and traded rifles, and they were habitually were of very large calibers, as well!

I'm not a PH, and I don't even play one on TV, but it is my opinion,based on some experience with both rifles, and Africa, that the man paying the bills on a safari, is the one who should decide what rifle he uses, as long as it is of legal chambering, and he has made himself able to use it, by practice! If you want to hunt with a singleshot, go for it, Hoss! but put in your time on the range first!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspose it would be alright if you can handle a PH shooting your buff and trust him enough to save your bacon, I prefer to trust myself in these situations and appreciate his help. I like the 2 against 1 odds in a charge and lots of repeatability....

Personally I don't want to face a Lion charge or a Buffalo charge with single shot rifle. Not my cup of tea.

Single shots are lovely rifles and I really like them, but I don't hunt with them anymore. I did hunt plainsgame in the past with them and decided it was just not the thing to do based on some things that occured while using them, but I don't have a problem with someone else using them or a bow, muzzleloader or a slingshot for that matter. It boils down to individual choice and the users choice to live with the results.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41955 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote