THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania:Reallocation of hunting blocks is a dream

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania:Reallocation of hunting blocks is a dream
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201209061053.html

Tanzania: Reallocation of Hunting Blocks Is a Dream

By Finnigan Wa Simbeye, 6 September 2012

SMART looking new Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Khamis Kagasheki had no kind words for lawmakers seeking to reverse the allocation of hunting blocks which left the bulk of foreign firms in the cold.

"There will be no reallocation of hunting blocks as some of you MPs want because the exercise was done according to the law," Mr Kagasheki told parliament while winding up his ministry's budget estimates over a week ago in Dodoma.

Kagasheki then aimed several jibes at Shadow Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Peter Msigwa, who had pointed out in his speech that the former has no option but to revisit the allocation of the hunting blocks which awarded local firms 85 per cent of the stake.

"If the minister is resisting pressure to revisit the allocation of hunting blocks which was the subject which led to his predecessor's dismissal then he too should resign," charged the firebrand Iringa Urban Member of Parliament (MP) from the opposition Chama cha Demokrasia na Maendeleo (Chadema), Rev. Peter Msigwa.

At a well attended press conference soon after Kagasheki's budget sailed through the House, Msigwa argued that most of the local firms allocated hunting blocks had no capacity as they lacked capital, equipment and expertise. "Professional hunting business is not an easy feat, it's an expensive venture which requires a lot of investment that many foreign firms sidelined in the exercise, have done over the years," Rev. Msigwa argued.

But drama ensued when Jamhuri newspaper editor, Manyerere Jackton squeezed Msigwa between a rock and hard surface questioning the Iringa Urban lawmaker's sincerity in defending interests of foreign firms against locals which have been sidelined for years in the trade. "First let me ask you if reports that some vocal members of parliament teamed up with members of Parliamentary Land, Natural Resources and Environment for a seminar organized by Mr Mawalla?" asked Mr Jackiton who further alleged that the meeting sought to convince vocal MPs to rally behind the unpopular decision to force Kagasheki reallocate the hunting blocks. The Jamhuri editor further challenged Msigwa to explain reasons behind much of the text making up his official speech tabled in parliament, was simply copied and pasted from a paper which Tumaini University law lecturer, Nyaga Mawalla who also represents many foreign hunting firms' interests, presented at the seminar.

"I know Mr Mawalla professionally in his capacity and nothing much. Part of my speech also comes from his paper because I think he is conversant with the area of natural resources and tourism and as such, I did not see any reason why I should not use part of his text," argued an emotional Msigwa who went on to refute any questionable relations with the Arusha based lawyer who represent Grumeti Reserves.

Several MPs including Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee, James Lembeli attended the seminar which was held prior to Kagasheki's budget speech tabling in the House. Mr Lembeli headed a parliamentary probe team early this year which investigated the hunting blocks allocation saga and faulted the exercise, saying some local companies with no experience and capacity were allocated more than one block.

In the report, Lembeli said former Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Ezekiel Maige committed a number of mistakes, some of which were contrary to advice given by a ministerial expert committee that did the actual vetting of the applicants. Lembeli said some successful applicants such as Said Kawawa and Malagarasi Hunting Safaris were awarded First and Second Class hunting blocks contrary to expert advise.

The fiery Kahama lawmaker argued that in the Government Notice of September 7, 2011 which published allocation of hunting blocks to 60 companies, it did not include blocks awarded to the two companies. But Minister Maige stood his ground denouncing all allegations made against him while emphasizing that the allocation exercise was over for the period covering 2013/18. He accused the parliamentary committee of being one-sided, in the course of investigation, taking views from hunting companies and associations and compiling a report, without cross-checking the facts with the minister and his team.

"The report is biased but let me assure everybody that the allocation exercise will not be repeated, if any company feels offended, let them appeal as per procedures," Maige who displayed some unique characteristics uncommon among Tanzanian ministers who, on several occasions have been accused of favouring foreign companies, stressed. Maige was relieved of his position last May when President Jakaya Kikwete dropped six cabinet ministers in the first ever earth shaking reshuffle, following parliamentary pressure that wanted ministers facing various allegations to go.

But while Maige is away, his spirit seems to be haunting those seeking to reverse the hunting blocks allocation exercise which sidelined many foreign firms, which the very parliament put Ms Mwangunga to task in 2008/9 when she was seen as favouring foreign companies. "It's very unclear what we want as a nation because this law was passed by parliament after several complaints by MPs that foreign hunting firms were making super profits from the business while the government is making peanuts in revenue," said Manyerere who has done extensive courage of the subject dating back to Mwangunga's tenure in office.

But as pressure piles up on Kagasheki to act against the law in favour of foreign hunting firms which have invested heavily in the industry, people like Advocate Mawalla, MP Msigwa and others may found the going extremely tough in the next five years because the only way out is to seek revision of the 2009 WC Act.

Mawala who is behind the successful Ikona Wildlife Management Area (WMA) in Serengeti Game Reserve through Mawala Trust Limited, has relentlessly argued that the amended law does not only deny foreign firms recognized as investors by Tanzania Investment Centre law, their rights but also denies local investors a stake in the lucrative business. "But the WC Act No. 5 of 2009, favours hunting firms owned in majority by Tanzanians, discriminating those Tanzanians who purchased 25 per cent shares of the foreign firms," he argued.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201209060195.html

Tanzania: Kagasheki Warns Corrupt Hunters

By Bilham Kimati, 6 September 2012

THE Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Ambassador Khamis Kagasheki, has warned professional hunters against using financial muscles by bribing officials at the ministry to sidestep procedures in order to hasten their applications.

Speaking at the opening of an all-member dialogue, that brought together members of the Tanzania Safari Outfitters Association (TASOA) in Dar es Salaam on Wednesday, the minister emphatically said corruption started with rich hunters who would entice some officials to evade laid down regulations.

"You have a lot of cash, that much I know. Some of you have become sources of bad influence to government officials. Please stop bribing them and let them perform their duties professionally. As a result, some of you have their requests attended quickly while others have to wait for so long. This is not proper."

He had more: "It is my duty to prove to President Jakaya Kikwete and the people of Tanzania that I deserve the trust they have put on me. How come an individual is found in possession of more than eight hunting blocks under different names? This is unacceptable and the legislation on hunting blocks allocation is bad and must be revisited," he said.

The minister gave an example of Section 39: 3b of the legislation that talks about the obligatory shares to be in the hands of indigenous title-holders. "I have no problem with that. The problem comes when some of them decide to sell the hunting blocks they have been licensed to. This is not proper because the intention was to acquire the blocks and utilize them properly. Racketeering is intolerable," Kagasheki emphasized.

He also challenged TASOA members to do justice to the people of Tanzania in light of the available resources when haggling for professional hunting fees which were comparatively nominal. Killing a crocodile, for example, would cost 1,500 US dollars while fees are exorbitantly high in other parts of the world.

However, the minister made it clear that good progress of the industry would depend on cooperation, openness and ingenuity among stakeholders. "The forum marks a meaningful beginning to pave way to win-win situation. I want you to get money and the nation as well. We cannot run away from challenges. Postponing problems is not an option," he said.

It was explained that the hunting industry contributed 13.7 million US dollars to national coffers, while gains from the tour industry as a whole, to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), reaches 1.6 billion US dollars. "This is not enough. More needs to be done. We need cash to make the improvements," he said.

Responding to the speech by the minister during an interview, Federico Gellini from Safari Club Tanzania Ltd said the minister had spoken very well and brought new insight to the industry. "I have been in this profession for 22 years. Openness in sharing concerns can help increase efficiency and eliminate corruption within the industry. The minister has done the right thing to have this timely dialogue with stakeholders.

However, the government needs to improve infrastructure as well," Federico explained. The Executive Secretary of the Tourism Confederation of Tanzania (TCT) said the issue of hunting fees charged at the moment was negotiable and in essence professional hunting was for trophy and not to make business.

Mossin Abdallah proposed immediate review of policies and bureaucratic laws that propelled corruption. "The time set for ownership of hunting blocks (five years) is too short to allow hunters put in place the infrastructure for conservation of the area. What is the point of having a regulation that pushes investors to apply for a licence after every five years?" he asked and pledged cooperation with the ministry.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Kathi

Thank you for the up date...

A mess is all anyone can say and how the 15% foreign companies were picked is anyone guess.

it would have been helpful if the companies granted concessions would have had to have a licensed PH with the company...

Way too many unlicensed PH's working in Tanzania under a licensed PH that may or may not be in camp...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana338:

Are you sure you know the situation regarding the block re-allocation? What you have said so far is incoherent.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
fugotupu

The block re-allocation was to give 85% of the hunting concessions to residents.

As reported on this as well as other hunting forums many PH's work in many countries through the year and hold a PH licenses in there home country. While in Tanzania they will work under a resident PH who may or may not be in camp. Am i missing something so far...

Unless the PH do the majority of there safari business in Tanzania the money spent for a yearly non resident PH license is not recouped. So when they do do a few hunts in Tanzania they work under a resident licensed PH who may or may not be in camp.

Do a search of TPHA members and then compare the list to PH's we read stories about and watch on TV.. Check Carter, Moro and Sullivan out to see if they have a Current Tanzania PH license... They do safari's there from the articles, video's and TV programs...i have read and watched...

Now the companies who are granted a hunting block will have a PH listed who may or may not be in camp.

And as anything else in a 3 world country money talks and you move to the front of the line...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The foreign companies were approximately 15% to start with so that didn't change much.
By reducing the number of blocks that everyone had, more blocks were made available to accommodate more companies and this move has penalized those outfitters who were the most productive in the industry

Foreign registered PHs will not work under a resident PH as there is nothing stopping them from obtaining their own TZ PH licence (which they do).

The annual fee for a PH license is recouped withing 10-14 hunting days worth of PH fees (depending who the PH is working for).

TPHA has got absolutely nothing to do with the number of registered PHs in Tanzania and nor are they obliged to register with TPHA which is an Association and not an Authority as one might be misled to understand.

The TZ PH licence is issued by the TZ Game Dept. upon successful completion of the exam which in former days was compiled by senior Association members and invigilated on a 50%-50% basis with the Game Dept.

It is now under full control of the GD.

Seeing you appear to be quite eloquent on our hunting regulations, etc. etc. whose name other than that of the client appears on the hunting permit?
If Sullivan is conducting his hunts in the manner you have described it puts his clients in it right up to their nostrils.

Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Declaration to be signed by permit holder and officer to who permit is surrendered...

i did just a quick pan through the PH's which is listed alphabetical who have a license in Tanzania and i am sure there is a reason you picked Sullivan out of the few names i posted...that did not show a current PH license from Tanzania...there is a post on here about a new DVD.

However if the Tanzania government is not up to date on there listing, my apologizes to the PH mentioned.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana - As Fujo states, your post is not making much sense? I cannot confirm 100%, but I do believe Sullivan is a fully licensed PH in TZ, and is a foreigner too. I too am a fully licensed PH in TZ, a foreigner, and I do not need to be accompanied by a "resident" PH if/when conducting a hunt.

I'm not sure what "list" you are referring to, but keep in mind, being a member of TPHA is not mandatory - as Fujo stated. I have no idea if my name is on any "list", but I know I have a PH license.

I assure you, any company worth an ounce of salt, will have a fully licensed PH with each hunter - at all times. Not to say PH's from other countries don't bring clients to TZ, but a TZ - PH should always be present on the entire hunt. The Game Scout would generally be quite aware, if the "PH" was not licensed in TZ, and no licensed TZ - PH was on the hunt. Who would sign the license/paperwork at the end of the hunt, etc?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana338:

You mentioned 2 names: Moro and Sullivan.

I don't know, nor ever heard of Moro, but I certainly know Mark and to the best of my knowledge, he DOES have a Tanzania PH license.

I asked which NAMES APPEAR on the Game Hunting Permit:
The client's name, with all the relevant particulars of his rifle and Import Permit, duration of the hunt, etc. AND the PH who is guiding him.

The outfitter advises the Game Dept. as to which PH he has been designated to conduct the hunt, name, PH License no. and copy of residence permit.

Aaron mentioned foreign registered PHs will sometimes bring their clients to hunt in TZ, which is very true and they will either have a TZ PH license and conduct the hunt, or they will use a TZ resident PH as an 'umbrella' and the unlicensed non resident/foreign PH will be paying his way as an "observer" - just to clarify the situation a little further: he may go through ALL the motions of a PH but will NOT be authorized to handle a firearm nor will he be permitted to handle any DG situation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of us who attended this gathering , the above articles make little sense and are a very poor example of journalism.

IMHO, the Minister's speeched were positive he and seems like the right person for the job of re-building our sector by ignoring all the attempts at political interference and professional manouvering.

Things are looking good!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
For those of us who attended this gathering , the above articles make little sense and are a very poor example of journalism.

IMHO, the Minister's speeched were positive he and seems like the right person for the job of re-building our sector by ignoring all the attempts at political interference and professional manouvering.

Things are looking good!

I was also there and concur 100% with Bwanamich, very impressive man our new Minister.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:

Things are looking good!

I was also there and concur 100% with Bwanamich, very impressive man our new Minister.

Great to hear some good news of African governing.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Gellini is correct. Five years is far too short a time period for block allocation. It should be at least twice that.

Not only because of the need for an adequate period to recoup the required capital investment, but also for the sake of game conservation.

The game will suffer unless they lengthen the allocation time period and enforce the ban on subletting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has always been a standard 5 year lease with first option to extend for a further 5 years at renewal time so I don't really see where the problem lies.

Also to be borne in mind is that the concession fee is paid on a yearly basis and should the concession holder wish to relinquish the area there is no penalty as there are no binding conditions.

The Game Dept. will only rescind the concession if the outfitter has not met the minimum quota returns of 41% (though I have never heard of anyone losing their area even if they were in default) and should the authorities decide to rescind the concession for other reasons, will do so regardless there being a lease for 5 or 10 years.

The question of sub-letting will prove interesting; it has been the order of the day on the part of most the indigenous operators for obvious reasons and will, in my opinion, continue that way unless the Minister stays true to his words.