New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures from Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My two daughters and I went on a photo safari in July. Here are some of our photos. We did hunt in namibia two years ago and my youngest daughter has her wildebeest hanging on her bedroom wall. This trip we only have photos to hang. But I have to say I've never been able to get photos like these on a hunting trip.

Eland

Hoopoe

Leopard

A 12' python they told us was killed and partially eaten by a honey badger

Kudu

Buff

A few ellies

End of the day

And this isn't Africa but in September I went to British Columbia and was lucky enough to see some Spirit Bears. Here are a couple of those pics.

You can see the fish he's trying to catch is right in front of his right paw.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. They're all good, and that last picture of the bear is outstanding.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Those were terrific pictures. What is you camera equipment and how did you copyright them? Again, very nice! Thank you.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 3 of those Hoopoes with a 12 guage.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
C, could you tell us where you were on the photo safari and what camera you used...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the nice comments Smiler

The leopard, kudu and buff were taken at MalaMala in South Africa. All the others were taken at Mashatu Tent Camp in Botswana (love both places).

I used a Canon 40D and a mark IIN with either a 100-400mm or a 500mm lens. My oldest daughter used a Canon 10D and 20D with a 70-200mm and a 300mm and her pictures turned out great also (her first trip).

My daughters and I flew to Johannesburg and met up with an internet friend from California. We rented a car and drove to the Pont Drift Border and were picked up at the border by a ranger from Mashatu. We stayed there 6 nights. Then we drove from the Botswana border to MalaMala in the Sabi Sands (next to Kruger Park). It's an 8+ hour drive so we spent the night in between so as not to miss game drives at either camp. We thoroughly enjoyed the drive and it's very scenic. It did take an extra day but saved $$$ and was oh-so-worth it. We stayed at MalaMala for 4 nights. All in all it was an excellent trip and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

We saw many lions at MalaMala and the last day we got in on the tail end of 6 lionesses trying to take down an old buff. By the time we got there the lions were very tired and had stopped to rest and the buff got away.

One of the lion prides had some young cubs. This mom had six 10-week old cub.

We also stopped to spend the night between Johannesburg and the Botswana border (still tired after the long flights in). The place we stayed had a lion breeding program. They didn't tell us that's what it was but I'm pretty sure it was. We didnt' see any young females there but did see many males with these big manes. They had 7 or 8 mature females they were breeding with an old male that they said had been in 300+ movies and films. He was a stunner with a big, beautiful mane. I'm sure they sold the young males for hunting. I didn't bother asking about it. Here are 3 of the young males.

Copyright on photos - I've used Photoshop Elements, Photoshop CS and Adobe Lightroom. All of those let you add a copyright. I'm sure other programs do too but I haven't used them. I have googled to find out how to add the copyright for all 3 of those progams. I just started using Lightroom (I'm still using the 30-day trial version) and I will be buying that one. It's very easy and versatile.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu4u, if I remember correctly, for photoshop you use the Text Tool (or type tool) and click on the image where you want the text. Hold the Alt key down and type 0169 (with the number keyboard, not the numbers above the querty keyboard). That makes the copyright symbol. Then type your name or whatever.

Here is an article that fully describes a longer process. http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Watermarking-your-pho...n-Photoshop-7-and-CS

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Bravo. You might want to avoid doing that when visiting Israel.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Those are great photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are awesome photos. You are quite an accomplished photographer. beer

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Don't tell anyone about it! It's illegal! {At least in South Africa!]

cjw,

Those sure are nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

In good hunting

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote