THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    BOOK by Brian Herne "White Hunters ....."

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BOOK by Brian Herne "White Hunters ....."
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I would like to know if anyone read this book.

Brian Herne
White Hunters � the Golden Age of African Safaris
< !--color-->

I is about the PH's of East Africa 468 oages.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read it and was nto really impressed although it has been quite a while. If I remeber correctly it was pretty slow. I'm a big fan of Ruark, Hunter, and PHC.

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you should bring this up at this time. I recently found a copy of it in a used book store and bought it. It's pretty much a straight-forward factual overview of the safari industry "back then" with a heavy emphasis on Kenya, of course, and a bit on the out-migration of PHs to other countries as the Kenyan situation worsened. It's not vivid story-telling but rather a brief history. I thought it was well worth the $5 I paid for it.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I found it interesting, but not enough to read it over and over.

Actually, I just read it for the second time, but as you say, I doubt I will pick it up again any time toon. It does have some colorful stories about the early days of commerfcial safari companies.

Worth having in your library...

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not as dry as reading an encyclopedia, but it's more a broad treatment of the old East African Professional Hunters. I found it interesting, but not enough to read it over and over.

If you can find a copy, I liked his "Uganda Safaris" better.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Good "resource" book more than a "story" book. But I liked it.

Regards,

Terry

My opinion also.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Regards,

Terry

That's exactly how I view it, Terry.

I just read Tony Sanchez-Arino's "Elephants, Ivory and Hunters", straight-through, learning much and was gratified to learn of his opinions as to caliber selection and the suitability of different firearms. A great historian, he.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Slingster. The book is full of facts about the safari industry, but not overly exciting reading. I would look for a cheap used copy and not spend top dollar for this book.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the book. I love stories of "Old Africa". Nickudu, I was absolutely floored by Tony Sanchez-Arino's totals, 1,277 elephants, 2,044 buffalo, and 332 lions. Needless to say I think he knows what he is talking about.

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kathi, .. and with all that, look how accomplished he is in so many areas. So many years afield, yet so cultered, refined ... He could hold is own in any company. Some guys make me sick!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote