New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ammo for PG \ Eland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting more and more excited by the the day about the pending adventure to the Dark Contenient, but Im still a little unsure about bullet choice.
Im looking at shooting Zebra,Kudu,Gembok,Eland and either Impala or Springbok which ever comes along.
My inital choice was TSX 270gr or Accubond 260 gr(leaning more towards the TSX) and personally I believe either wll be fine but my point of slight concern is the Eland! These things are big SOBs 2000lbs +
For the people who have hunted these things would it be a wise move to have some 300 gr TSX or a 300gr SP of some description, woodleigh etc
avalible?

Thanks for the input

Regards Runas

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot an eland last year using the 9.3x62 and using PMP 286gr SP bullets. I´d manage to load my handloads way out there (long story) so ended up using the local product -and one shot was all it took.

I also took impala and brown hyena with the same load and everything died nic Wink ely

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 39 inch Cape Eland With Peter Harris in '95 using a 358STA using 250X bullts.

I would use the 300 TSX or a much better selection would be the 300 Northfork!

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 grain TSX is more than enough for Eland. A gentleman who was hunting at the same time as me in RSA shot and killed one with a .270 Winchester using 130 grain TSX's. Just be able to put the bullet where it needs to go and you'll be fine.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I, too, have been very pleased with 300 gr Swift-A-Frames on two trips to Africa.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 270 gr TSX on my eland and would use them again. Check out my hunting report for some details on the recovered bullets.

Hunting Report

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Grain Northforks shoot really well in my 375.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used 300 grain trophy bonded bear claws on the one my son shot.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have taken 2 Eland ,both with 260gr Nosler Partitions in 375 H&H. First one broadside at a measured 100yds. Eland went down with all 4 legs in different directions. Have never seen anything like it. Bullet was recoved under skin on off side. Rear half was perfect but front core had seperated but was perfectly mushroomed and still in front of rear. Retained weight 207grs. Second one was a quartering shot from left rear. Hit a 1" Mopani about 10' from target and bullet entered left rear quarter and penetrated thru the hip bone breaking it. This amounted to over 24" of muscle and bone. This was at 8/9 am and we quit tracking at dark and started again at first light and caught up to him about noon. If I were to go for Eland again i would still use same load.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've shot eland with the 300 gr nosler partition, 270 barnes x, and even the 215 barnes x. all preformed as they should.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to talk him out of using Accubond 260gr for Eland as i think this bullet is too for this animal,am i wrong???

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with the 300 grain TBBC's and TBSH's to date with no problems whatsoever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very impressed with the 300 gr.Swift A-Frame in my .375 RUM. I recovered all three from a Patterson Eland (LU-5 Selous '03)and they perfectly mushroomed and retained more than 95% of weight. They all three were on the off side under the skin. Yes an Eland is a solid animal. They worked well on Hippo and Buff as well.
I was so impressed that I now only shoot 200 gr.Swift A-Frame in my .300 RUM and have had the same results on lots of plainsgame from my last trip to Tanzania (lots of one shot kills)
All recovered bullets had perfect mushroom.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 270 North Forks at 2750 fps for plains game, haven't shot an eland. The TSX should certainly work, it does in everything else.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to use the 260gr Accubond this summer - a change from the Partition. Any comments on the cape damage on the smaller antelopes?

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift A Frame, 300 grains. I used it last year in Namibia from Springbok to Eland and Leopard also. Nothing needed more than one shot.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote