Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent narration.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
300 Weatherby rules! Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice scenery & early footage; but what a bunch of crap! The scenes appear to be highly edited by mr. Tabor to make himself look good.

Maybe its there, but I sure didn't see any "Gaping wound" or spear shaft sticking out of the buffalo. The scenes where he shoots the bull are very obviously staged, and spliced in later. The bull drops his hind end from a rear spine shot (probably by Taber), but through clever editing Taber makes it appear that he hasn't shot it yet...and the bull is stumbling from the effects of the "Spear wound in the shoulder".

I seriously doubt his excuse of the buffalo being previously wounded. I think he made up that story to justify chasing it down to the point of exhustion with his vehicle; and invented the story to make himself look like a real sportsman doing a humane deed.

I believe he saw a good bull in the herd, and determined to get it somehow, even if by running it down by car. Even a unwounded bull will ram a car, if chased & harassed like that! thumbdown

Appears he also edited out any sign of a PH, (to make himself look more brave?) A bunch of Film Fakery...but I did enjoy watching it.
bsflag

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As bad as I hate to bring this up , for fear of how it could re-erupt a now quiet volcano....Did anyone notice the amazing simularity of the story Tabor tells about the buffalo licking the feet off the hunter and the story Capstick tells. Tabor has the hunter under a rock outcropping while Capstick has him up a small tree but otherwise it is the same story.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mouse 93,

Thanks for posting the video. A friend of mine was disposing of all his old hunting books and gave me Wallace Taber's book Safari Sagas. What makes this book unique is there is a square of zebra hide glued to the cover.

This is an excellent book and even has advertising pages from the 50's.

Thanks, again.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
300 Weatherby rules! Smiler jorge

The .300 may indeed rule (great round) but not for buffalo!! Also most likely an illegal DG calibre even back then.

Oh well, why worry about an illegal weapon, when youre hunting illegally by running down trophies from a car??? Confused

my guess is it was shot (rather badly) with a big bore, and finished off with the .300 as a Weatherby promotional stunt.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Kathy it was my pleasure - Tanz-PH - from my perspective - this movie was shot long before I was born and it just reminded me of fairy tales I was brought up by - I don't believe in dwarfs tho (not all of the time at least) but as you said I just enjoyed watching it as well beer

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its amazing how in those days people new so little about Africa that you could tell and show them any crap and the general public would just eat it up.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
The impala footage is great.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the lighting in the sequence where the buff comes out onto the plain looks different than when the author is being filmed. plus, the wounded animal comes out of the safety of the brush to drag his ass end around on a plain?

suspicious

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, that was fun to watch.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
jimmara, are you trying to tell me Tarzan wasn't real?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
It reminded me of the old Lowell Thomas films. Or for you canadians, or US near the Border, do you remember a show narrated by Red Fisher, called Scuttlebutt Lodge or something like that.

I liked the film. Yeah, these older ones can seem a little hokey, but LOTS of the current ones are staged also............

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! That impala footage was great.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
It reminded me of the old Lowell Thomas films. Or for you canadians, or US near the Border, do you remember a show narrated by Red Fisher, called Scuttlebutt Lodge or something like that.

I liked the film. Yeah, these older ones can seem a little hokey, but LOTS of the current ones are staged also............
I remember that.Red would fish all over the place.Once caught a show of his where he fished in iceland-early eighties.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some great old footage there - probably no more set-up than most of what you see today. Film editing is much tougher than video. I also recall seeing film of him shooting an elephant out of a tree on UTube.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
"I also recall seeing film of him shooting an elephant out of a tree on UTube."

How did the elephant get in the tree? bewildered

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great, if blurry, footage of African animals from days gone by.

But as for the hero-narrator - my God, what a shameless bullsh*tter!

He spouted all of the old canards -

--The one about the buff licking the feet off a hunter! What a crock!

--The one about the high velocity rifle bullet ricocheting off a buff's boss! One still hears this one even today. Just a ridiculous myth.

--The lame (and false) justification for killing his buff (so the Bambi-ists wouldn't complain to his sponsors) - I only did it because of the gaping spear wound!

Why this guy felt that he had to shovel the sh*t so much is beyond me.

The reality of cape buffalo hunting is plenty exciting enough!

Still, as others have said, this was fun to watch.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The illegal High Speed Pursuit of this grand old buffalo bull is what really pisses me off!!! Mad Had he been a true hunter, and crawled to stalk this bull, it may have been a pretty darn good film!

I really doubt the .300 was the actual weapon used, Not that a .300 can't kill a buffalo...it certainly can (but not with an ass shot). Remember this clown was a notorious Pitchman for Weatherby; and the 50's & 60's were the heyday of promoting Weatherbys in Africa as THE rifle to take on safari. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a newbie who's not yet hunted Africa, I really enjoyed the entire show. Somehow, it seemed to possess more character than many of the highly polished versions of today.

Watched Buzz Charlton's Zambezi Extreme last night and enjoyed that one immensely as well. Buzz is one seriously cool dude, always a laugh and a smile from him no matter the situation.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fun to watch but what a load of bullshit. He was even armed with one of the those gaudy Weatherby abominations with the white diamonds inlaid into the sides of the stock. Maybe if he used a bigger rifle the bullets wouldn't ricochet off the buffalo's boss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My, my, I guess it's "piss on" Wally day today.

I waqtched the film, yes it has plenty of B. S in it, but it was made for entertainment on TV. Hell, I hadn't even seen a TV when he started doing those shows. Sure he was a pitchman for Roy, so what look at the pitchmen on today's show. I could puke at some of their claims today. But, they are okay and Wally wasn't? Come on guys, get real. Just because most of you weren't born when he was doing his thing does make him a bad guy. It was entertainment for a public that didn't have the access to other parts of the world that we have today. You think Osa and Martin Johnson did all of their work without endorsements and "pitches". Think again! This world runs on pitches and endorsements.
Anyway, I enjoyed the video for what ever it is worth more than most of the current garbage on the networks and DVDs. The current is full of editing, patchwork and stuff passed off as fact that may be fact or fiction. But, then I am an old man that has seen both the old and new.

Now just for giggles, think about this: I am sure Wally put more effort into making his "entertaiment" shows than some of the current "factual hunting" shows have put into them, but they may not be as "slick." due to video editing.

Just some thoughts

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote