THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    6 New Mexico Antelope permits available, and some Monster Mule Deer in Texas

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 New Mexico Antelope permits available, and some Monster Mule Deer in Texas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I got got 6 more Pronghorn Antelope permits from a neighboring ranch and this is great antelope country near Moriority N.M. 30 miles E. of Albuerque...The week end of Sept 18 and 19...Fully guided, encludes breakfast, sack lunch, and supper both days..Jim Brockman is one of the guides BTW, many of you know Jim, I may guide if the notion strikes me as they are wanting me to....Cost $2250.00 plus license...Trophy quality is very good.

These hunts will book pretty fast I think as I sold the last batch real quick, so get one while the getten's good...

I also have 2 hunts for huge trophy mule deer, these are two day hunts for $1000 daily rate and a $1000 kill fee...

Located near Goldsmith Texas, I have references, brochures and pictures of some of the huge desert mule deer taken last year, lots of 180s and several over 200 plus B&C every year..

Jeff Wemmer who posts here is one of the guides.I also have a few 4 day hunts for 2006 at $2000 daily rate and $2000 kill fee, left on this great 20,000 ac plus ranch..deer are free roaming. Success rate on these big bucks probably runs 65% but many of them are missed and some you see and just don't get a shot at, but you will know they are they before you come home, the rest is up to you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray;

I would like to hunt a good desert mule deer buck, but this is pretty pricey....Is there something special about this ares that commands a premium?

Posts: 19 | Location: montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
I went last year on the goat hunt had a great time, good food and plenty of animals. You won't be sorry on this one.

Wayne

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drd 39,
Considering the size of the Mule Deer killed each year on this ranch, example the largest to date shot a couple of years ago had a 46" spread and awsome mass, and is the State record, then $2000 or $4000 is dirt cheap and success rate is high for that kind of Mule Deer..A comparison is Mexico who were getting $9,500.00 last I checked and these deer are better than Mexicos..Most of the deer shot will go in the book or darn close to it..The gene pool is there and the deer are there, if your lucky or good...

According to my books, trophy mule deer are the number one animal sought by the US hunter today, and I am sure thats a fact....

Wayne,
Thanks for the good words. I thought I would post those hunts on AR before I put them in the gunlist and Dallas Morning News...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The two deer hunts are sold....May have two cancellations on the 4 day hunts within the week as no deposit has been received, will call and give them 5 days to send deposits, if not then two 4 day hunts will be available...

Season is Nov. 26 to Dec 11...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding to Ray's remarks:

We do have an excellent genetic base that we're working from out here. The first day of season last year I got my client a 180 class typical - his mass was excellent and he was about 6-7 yrs. (150 yd. shot) One of my other hunters took a 160 class and one blew a chance on a 30"'er (worst case of Buck "fever" I have ever witnessed - had to do some counseling after that one ran off un-shot at!), but he ended-up with a nice 150 class afterall.! So, for me, I had 3 of my 3 guys take really nice deer. All of these animals were fat as hogs and went over 225 lbs dressed! They all also had more dang'd fat on their backs - about 1" thick along the spine! These were by no means the biggest deer we have seen, just a good cross section of what we have - again, no feeders, blinds or high fences!!! Hell for stout animals!

The ones that got away: Well, every guide has these stories to tell, but you can take from this what you want: We had an awesome 200 class broadside a 390 yds. one afternoon. Yeah at least 200 and over 36" wide! - I've been sizin-up these critters for years and am rarely off - that's my job afterall. My hunter was using .270. Problem was, we had a measured 25+ MPH (I use a Kestrel wind guage as a matter of policy) full crosswind to contend with and I would not let him shoot. We tried a stalk, but the old boy got us in his sight, ducked a bluff and was outta there. As far as we know, nobody took this deer in '04!! On the south end of the ranch, we've been chasing another monster, not quite as big, but a realy keeper none the less - I had him in my sights one afternoon - shotgun sights that is, he stood no more than 75 yards from me - we jumped him well after season while bird hunting - that's always the way it goes, eh! Oh, he'll go a good 180+ -looks about 5-6 right now.

These hunts are "Old School", spot and stalk type shooting! Once aagain, no feeders, high fences, no blinds - these deer are situated in the middle of the high plains transition area between the northern sandhills and the higher elevation "hard pan" as we call it out here. Ranch acerage is over 20,000 huntable sourrounded by open range as far as the eye can see!

These are really wild deer and are both tough and fun to hunt - you really earn them horns when you get'em!

Bring at least a 300 WM / 300 WBY with at least 180 grainers - these are tough, big bodied animals that are chocked full of energy - they don't always go down easily!
If one runs off out here, you might never find him. We lost one from a botched shot last season (the only on we've ever lost) - I tracked him along with the client and his guide for almost 3 days - he just disappeared - this country out here really plays tricks on your eyes!

Bring a really good set of binos!

We have a modern, nice, clean little lodge that comfortably sleeps 8. Well maintained vehicles set-up specifically for this type of hunting and expert guides that have grown-up out here in this country! Our cook Johnny is the best - real West Texas ranch style cooking - awesome steaks!! Plenty of nightime BS'n around the fire-pit and good living aplenty!

I hope that some of the AR members can come out and see us. I'll be glad to show you around and do my best to get you a "bigg'n"!

This is the "Real-deal"!

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jeff and Ray:

I've bought two lottery tickets tonight for the $85,000,000 prize. If I don't win, would you consider a Savage bolt action .30/30 in trade.

Dang you guys. Maybe I can cut off a finger and sell it to a Wendy's customer.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
think we could just take the judges finger in trade, I know a taxidermist that post here and lives up around Abaline that would mount it for free under the circumstances... beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Gee, I don't know....which finger is the "Judge" want'n to scarifice? (I'd venture to guess it's the "birdie").

I've heard of that feller over in Abilene...didn't they make a movie about his Taxidermist cousin up there in Ohio a while back?...Silence of the Lambs???

We'll consider the Judge's offer - I'll ask Billy if he want's it for his trophy room.

Gett'n silly aint we?

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Silly? Hell I'm dead serious, I would love to have his finger on the wall!! then if he ever wanted it back, I would give eatttt to heeeem where de sun don shine~! clap

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,

Get the finger deal in the works and I'll make sure Billy wants it!

JW