Find
Notify
Tools

Gaiters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted
Where can I find a pair of the ankle gaiters?
Cabela's did not show any. thanks

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.shesafari.com

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. Still want that Buffalo or two soon
stan

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stan,

I can arrange 4 cheap if you want. Really!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the desert gaiters from REI. I got them @ the store in Atlanta. They were $24. They also carry low gaiters from mountain research.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyt Harness

http://boytharness.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=125

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
This gaiter thing is not so straight to me. When I used to Snow Ski the gaiters had elastic around the top and som on the bottom to attach to the boot to keep them from riding up.

So how does this little gaiter stay down and keep things from coming in under the lip and getting on you?

Maybe, I hope, the hold down is just not shown. Gravity cannot hold down this light material.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I second the reccomendation for the REI gators.

You can buy them HERE for U.S.$24.00.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Boyt canvas gaiters have no tie down but they stay down on their own.

They are not for walking in deep stuff that will come under the gaiter and then over the boot but for keeping seeds and chaff and sand from dropping into the boot. They work well for this.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the Boyt gaiters and would not recomend them as they are too flimsey and will not protect you in any terrain that is more harsh than the local mall. I am interested in a good pair.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
I have a pair of the Boyt gaiters and would not recomend them as they are too flimsey and will not protect you in any terrain that is more harsh than the local mall. I am interested in a good pair.

I used my Boyt gaiters in Namibia and they worked just fine.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I took my wife's gaitors from SheSafari to our saddle shop. They made a leather pair of the same design, but without the stupid little pocket.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Boyts did all I needed them to do and survives 18 days in the Zambezi Valley in fine shape, ready to go again this year.

My PH had a pair similar in style to the Boyts but made of cape buffalo leather. I am sure that they would wear like iron, but I wonder if the canvas isn't cooler, and the better trade off in hot weather.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've worn Boyt's on six safaris and never had a problem...one pair lasted four trips alone and the only reason I bought a new pair is because the canvas bleached out after so many washings. I sure wouldn't call them flimsy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason you have the Boyt Gaiters washed?

I just shake them clean and leave them ready to go with my boots. Am I missing something?

BTW, they fade a bit in the sun too.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
JPK,
After getting smeared with blood, offal, sweat, dirt, burnt vegetation, sunscreen, insect repellent....etc. mine were getting a bit rank and nasty. Popped em in the wash and hang to dry...presto...almost could stand them again!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mo:
Where can I find a pair of the ankle gaiters?
Cabela's did not show any. thanks

Cabela's has no fewer than 12 types of gaiters.....http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=gaiters&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gaiters&noImage=0

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of gaiters today in RSA. Good material and ruberised on the inside. Paid R75.00 for them at Hikers Paradise, should be aroud $11. Half the price you guys are paying.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
In twenty years of upland hunting in the US I've never used, or felt a need for, gaiters. Is there some reason they're necessary in africa?

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Citori,

The reason for gaiters in africa is to keep seeds, chaff and sand out of the short boots typically worn on safari. I wear shorts on safari and the Boyt gaiters do the job and keep the crud out of my boots. I have worn boots from very low chukas with tops that are not tight around my ankles to seven inch boots which are snug at the top around my ankles. No foreign matter entered either with the Boyts. With the snug 7" boots I think the main benefit of the gaiters is keeping the soft sand out rather than seeds and chaff. With the lower less snug boots tops I think its important for all of the sand seeds and chaff.

JPK

Free 500grains

<BWN300MAG>
posted
JPK -
I have a pair of the buff hide gaitors that I am betting your ph was wearing. I got them in Zim at Taxidermy enterprises. They work great in high stuff, low stuff, hot weather, cold weather, rain, sleet, or snow. I wear them anytime I am hunting or weed-eating the yard.
beer

One of Us
Picture of Snowball
posted Hide Post
REI Desert Gaiters worked great. Lightweight and easy to put on and take off. At $19.00 a pair they are almost disposable.

Mtoto wa mwindaji alifuatana na baba yake mpaka mawindoni [The hunter's child followed his father to the hunting grounds]

Posts: 42 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Try www.shesafari.com

I know that my legs would not look the same sticking up out of the same gaiters. Sheesh, the things that will get a guy in trouble. Razzer

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote