Tools

hunting boot survey
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted

Question:
Ladies & Gentleman,

How many of you would consider having a pair of good quality, custom made hunting boots made out of the actual backskin (that's the bit most people throw away) of the buffalo/elephant/kudu etc you took during your hunt - at a cost of around US$60-US$70 per pair?

The boot specification has yet to be finally decided but it would be something like double stitched seams, soft rubber high grip soles, speed lacing eyelets and roller ball locking top eyelets & lined in impala skin (from your own impala). The boots would end just above the ankle so would offer good support for longer hikes and difficult terrain.

Should you have any particular requirements such as thicker soles etc. this could also be accommodated as each pair are hand made. - Although these changes might obviously cost a little extra.

The boots could either be packed and sent with your trophies or if you prefer under seperate cover at an additional cost.

Size of the boot would be determined by asking you to draw around your (socked) foot and we would then pass this to the makers.

Thanks for your help.

Choices:
Yes
No

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I should also have asked for your suggestions on what else should be incorporated into the construction of these boots.

posted Hide Post
Steve,

Back to the Top for You!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pete,

Sometimes it shows up on my PC and sometimes it just disappears......I'm beginning to think it's related to the fact I'm now running a newer version of windows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello shakari,
Great idea but would this also be open to people who have hunted with other operations?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Cewe,
The client would have to get their leathered skins to us, but if they could do that then I see no reason why not...... If anyone's interested please feel free to send me an e-mail for further details.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Do you have any pictures of these boots?

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
btt

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10124 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
We're still in the design stage and hope to have prototypes in a week or two but as soon as we do I'll begin doing battle with trying to post photographs.

The basic design requirements are as per my original post. Soft leather linings, double stitched, good ankle support, speed laces on the lower eyelets and locking eyelets on top, and a not too thick but grippy soft rubber sole.

For years I've been plagued by hunting boots that are almost right but not quite right and I must have tried most of what's on the market. Now I'm determined to get it absolutely right.

posted Hide Post
Steve,

Make sure they have a sewn in tounge too! Most of the African boots I have seen ( about 3 or 4 different brands) have leather which goes very soft after some use, the boots then offer little support at the ankles..I am not sure if this a problem in the design of the boot or the tanning process itself...

If you have any problems posting the pics, email them to and I would be happy to help..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh excellent, being chinese, i have really broad paws and honestly the standard hunting boot doesn't really do it for me. I would love to have a pair made....maybe two pairs, both to ankle or chukka boot height, maybe just over.

my list of desirable features

good soft soles (thick)
doublestiching
waterproofing
sewn tongues
ankle support and padding
broad fit, reinforced toes and heel uppers

what skins do you need? if its too much trouble can you provide the skins? Colours, i prefer boots that are dark brown, or tanned waxed brown (which is close to burgundy)

am looking at this thread with great interest, thanks for sharing!
tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would still most likely wear my oldest pair of New Balance walking shoes as per usual but damn...it sounds wonderful!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
fully sewn tongues are already part of the design and we can supply the Buff skin etc if you don't have your own. cost's are still being worked out I'm afraid.

Colours;- If it's your own Buff skin it can be coloured anything you like, if it's supplied then it will be the standard colours as supplied by the tannery. These are usually black, dark brown or light brown.

Skins can be anything you like from elephant to Duiker but I would suggest Buffalo, Kudu wilderbeest or Waterbuck as the best options......

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Ok shakary,
From Steve to Steve, please tell me if I'm wrong, any problem if I don't have any skin?
You or the manufacturer can provide the necessary skin?

If I'm correct I need to now only the price. I'm waiting for it Wink

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
From one Steve to another Steve.

We're still working on the design and the construction costs, but if we supply the Buffalo hide the additional cost is fairly minimal......I think about ZAR35/US$6 per square foot.

Another factor affecting costs will be packaging. Our two options are to go for a less expensive cardboard box or the pricier option of a nice wooden box. We have yet to decide which would be the better option.

comments anyone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,
Thank you Steve,
I like the wooden box solution, but I can survive also with the cardboard box.

I quietly wait the price.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Please keep us informed of the progress of this idea. I will not be able to make it to Africa for some time but would love a pair of buffalo boots with a soft impala lining. BTW I would fo with the cardboard box. There for wearing not for looking at. Wink

Thanks
Brandon

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,
any news about the project? Or have I loose sonme news? more than two weeks past from your enquiry Wink Do you have some info?

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like lightweight boots with an 8" top, laces that go nearly to the toe, a sole that does not extend any farther past the side of the boot than necessary and a sewn-in toungue. At the price you quoted, I'd probably get 2-3 pair. My father and I may go to Africa next year, and I've beemn mulling over how to handle trophies as I don't care for a wall full of heads. I would prefer more useful items, and it's hard for me to find boots I can afford that work properly, so this may solve a couple of problems.

Please keep us posted. Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The prototypes are now being made and as soon as they've been tested and alterations made I'll be posting photographs and final prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear shakari

very good i is waiting with bated breath!

meanwhile the columbia hikers i wear will just have to do for the next season. I would love a pair dark brown buffalo skin boots or even hippo if you have them. cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi shakiri

Sounds great! I'm very interested.

I have one bit of advice regarding the box though. Don't use wood -- many countries are now demanding that all wood (other than completely finished as in a table top) be treated to prevent the spread of pest insects.

Stick with the cardboards and you will save at least a few buyers some hassles later!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fine,
I wish to have them before June 22th, date of my air departure. Dest Namibia. Smiler

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Here's the latest news:-

The boots being made now are a "veldskoen" style boot. That is an ankle boot with a padded top to keep out stones etc with a fully sewn in tongue and ball bearing lace holders with the top holder being locking so that the boot doesn't come loose if the lace comes untied. All heavy pressire points are double stitched.

The sole will be fairly thin soft rubber with a simple vee grip and a low heel. The idea is that the wearer will feel the stones etc under his feet before he makes a noise during the stalk. The boots are designed for the terrain of most of Africa which is undulating sand(ish) soils.

The first pair will be made of Cape Buffalo leather (a good choice) and this will be the norm however we can make them in anything from kudu leather to ordinary cow hide. If the client wants to have his pair of boots made from the leather of his own animal we can do that also.........all he has to do is to let us have his particular piece of leather.

The original plan was just for our clients to be offered the option of having a pair of hunting boots made from the skin of his own animal - but we have had so much interest we're happy to offer the boot to anyone who wants it.

"Fraid we won't know final prices until a little later and I'll post a few pictures as soon as the boots are ready and have been tested.

We also plan on developing a sturdier boot for more challenging terrain at a later date.