THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    modern day african hunting books what are you reading ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

modern day african hunting books what are you reading ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
I thought I would post this thread asking for what reads people have had recently that they like and where to get them – i spend WAY too much time on planes and always have too few good reads in my bag !!!

Under the tree this year for me were two awesome books –
“God created man the hunter”
and
“Mahohbo”
Both by Ron Thomson who also wrote the game wardens report which is an AWESOME read for anyone interested in the “true” elephant picture and management ideas.
Anyway , I cant wait to get into them and they will help my flights this year pass that much faster I haven’t read either of them but several people I know have done and say they are great –

Heres the link for anyone who needs these on their wish list ..
http://www.ronthomsonshuntingbooks.co.za/

Happy reading people as we dream about the hunting adventures the year may bring !!!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for Boddington on Brunettes.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9951 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
months of the sun

by ian nyshens

damn good read

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

rotflmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37774 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read many books about Africa Hunting.
Months of the Sun was the best.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why? He hasn't written Boddington on Blondes yet! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Why? He hasn't written Boddington on Blondes yet! Big Grin

Not yet, have you read Boddington on a Bicycle?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9951 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
months of the sun

by ian nyshens

damn good read

Ditto - 4th time atm Smiler

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Cool Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Fear No Death by Mark Sulliven Wink

Both on Ron's books are great. I am looking forward to the third in the series early this year. God Created Man the Hunter is much different from his first book. The story of his early days in Hwange.

Mike

Posts: 21678 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that Mahohbo is a great book. Thompson's egg poaching thing gets to me though and has kind of soured me on his other books. Sort of like Jack O'Connor's desert sheep poaching.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting the Elephant in Africa, and other recollections of thirteenyears' wanderings by Chaucy Stigand

Got it on my NOOK
its new to me anyway-- wave
SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Wayne Grant Into The Thorns
Richard Harland Ndlovu

Not new but excellent books.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Under the Xmas tree I had:

Months of the Sun
Hearne's White Hunters
and at least one Capstick book (the one where he retutned to his old hunting areas in '85).

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
"Months of the Sun" is one of the best, even if he was a poacher. And off-the-grid, except for his Land Rover! I guess there is no purity of "off-the-grid", eh?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
bill , i am enjoying your new book right now !!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Months of the Sun was a great read. I'm now deciding on my next one....and Fear No Death may be it. Of course, I might just wait for Ivan's first book.....when will that be out? Wink

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I read every African hunting book I can get my hands on.

I have anjoyed all of them, except those by Bunny Allen and Alexander Lake.

Bunny's writing mainly says "look at how good I am with women".

Alexander Lake's were full of utter lies.

I even enjoyed reading Will's book beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68658 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
of the modern day writings saeed , whats your top ten -

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am reading Johnny Chilton's book "Out of Bullets" it's a very fine read. I want his first book now "A Bullet Well Placed."

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
surestrike, send me a PM with your address and I will send Chilton's first book to you.

But a warning: I did not like it. I found it to be a facile and uninteresting shoot 'em up.

I like the older and offbeat books best.

I have recently read Marius Fortie's 1938 book, Black and Beautiful - A Life in Safari Land, a fascinating read. The Italian protagonist tells it all, in a forthright and uninhibited memoir, unlike the reserved and even prudish Brits of the day managed to do in their books.

Also, insofar as history by an historian is concerned, George Martelli's 1969 book, Livingstone's River, is an unflattering yet well-documented review of Livingstone's behavior during his Zambezi expeditions. But it still manages to be a paean to Livingstone's chief virtues: physical courage and endurance. He was as snaky as a mamba, but as strong and unyielding as a Cape buffalo. Interesting reading.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm not a great fan of Months of the Sun or anything by Berger but do particularly enjoy the books by: Ron Thomson, Hunter, Bell, Herne and Lake. I also love Stevie Smith's book 'The Hunter and the Go-Away Bird'

A couple that will REALLY be worth reading should they ever get written would be by Jon Speed and also Ken Stewart of their experiences.

Whatever your taste in African related hunting books, you'll probably find new and used copies here:

http://www.shakariconnection.com/bookshelf.html

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
+1 on Jon Speed. He had family in Tucson and spent a lot of time here. I also once sat next to him on a plane to Reno, and got to hear a few of his stories about Africa.

When I last saw him a couple of years ago, he told me he visited this forum often but had never felt the need to post anything himself.

So, if you're out there, Jon, start writing.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
My favorites.

Recent.....er:

Some Lions I Have Met -Cundhill
The Hunting Imperative -Harland
The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana -Marsh, Blackbeard etl.
Death and Double Rifles -Sullivan
White Hunters -Herne
The African Adventures -Capstick

Old School:

Hunter -Hunter
Green Hills of Africa -Hemingway
Horn of the Hunter -Ruark
Pondoro -Taylor
Out in the Midday Shade -York
The Maneater of Kumaon -Corbett (Yeah I know it's India, but it's too damn good not to mention! Perhaps the greatest hunting book ever! Written by the perhaps the greatest hunter/author ever!)

I picked up some great Christmas reads that are on the "to do" list plus a few gun show pick ups this year also on the "to do" list:

Elephant Hunters -Sanchez-Arino
Something of Value -Ruark
A Far from Ordinary Life -Duckworth
Months of the Sun -Nyschens
Adventures in the African Jungle -Akeley
Congo Eden -Akeley
Legends -Chandler
African Rifles and Cartridges -Taylor
Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa -Neumann
African Big Game in Central Africa -Foa
Big Game Hunting and Collecting in East Africa Kittenberger
Hunting The Elephant in Africa -Stigand
Kill or be Killed -Foran

Yeah I know my birthday is coming up guys, but if you want to get me something buy me a lion hunt. I'm good on books at the momment!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Boddington`s Search for the Spiral Horn.

Torbjørn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
of the modern day writings saeed , whats your top ten -

Ivan,

Bloody hell mate, that would require me to think a bit! And even then I would tie myself in a knot trying to get it down to ten.

As I mentioned above, I love reading everything I can get my hands on from Africa.

Only the odd one stands out to me as not to read again.

Both Roy Vincent and me love to read these books, and it is amazing how similar opinions we have on these books.

I can tell you what is going to be the VERY BEST book on hunting.

It is the one I am going to write about Walter's adventures!

I am certain it is going to be a best seller dancing

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68658 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I can tell you what is going to be the VERY BEST book on hunting.

I am certain it is going to be a best seller dancing

Price and when can I expect delivery? Roll Eyes Big Grin Considering the subject matter, a difficulty could be trying to find a publisher! Cool

Good reads; "Shadows in an African Twilight" by Kevin Thomas. ISBN 978-0-620-39727-8
"A Pioneering Hunter" by Brian Marsh. ISBN 1-57157-159-7
Both have their spots in my library now Cool .

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am certain it is going to be a best seller

Big Grin

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Months of The Sun - Ian Nyschens
Hunting imperative - Richard Harland
African Epic - Richard Harland

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
Ivan, if you want to pick up a more recent hardback on African and world hunting, try "Through the Hunter's Prism" available at DSC at "X marks the spot," Xomaqua Lodge Safaris. It's just the right length for a plane trip.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
surestrike, send me a PM with your address and I will send Chilton's first book to you.

Michael,

PM sent and thank you for your kind offer.

------------------------------------------------

I have to agree with Saeed on the subject of Alexander Lake and Bunny Allen. Those were two of the worst African hunting books I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

I especially like the Mr Lakes instructional chapter on the most efficient method of killing elephant.

"Solids are a waste of time, the best method for killing an elephant is to use a soft point in the .303. Wait until the elephant opens his mouth as he inevitably does during a charge and shoot him in the roof of his mouth. The exploding soft point will immediately kill the elephant."

Or some such rubbish!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Kevin Robertson "It Shouldn't Happen to Me" which I am enjoying.

Over break I read A Far from Ordinary Life by Fred Duckworth, A Pioneering Hunter by Brian Marsh, and An African Game Ranger on Safari by Don Cowie.

I usually ask for a few for Christmas and enjoy reading them when hunting season closes here in the states.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill 5248:
Ivan, if you want to pick up a more recent hardback on African and world hunting, try "Through the Hunter's Prism" available at DSC at "X marks the spot," Xomaqua Lodge Safaris. It's just the right length for a plane trip.

Who is the author, was it Stephen?

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: We're waiting! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, my favorite African hunting book is "Horn of the Hunter" by Ruark. Made me laugh out loud more than once. Also enjoyed both novels "Something of Value" and "Uhuru". Excellent page turners!

I find alot of hunting books to be rather bland reading. Went there, shot this gets old in a hurry... the older genre are a bit more interesting. Gerard Miller's book and Andrew Holmberg's book being the exception

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a hunting book, per se, but I finished re-reading My Serengeti Years the memoirs of an African Game Warden Miles Turner a couple of months ago. I found it in a used book store a couple of years ago.
Not a new publication, but very informative about the background and early years of the Serengeti National Park.
Very interesting in what he went through from the beginnings as a professional hunter to game warden to his eventual retirement from the British Government and returning to be an advisor in the Masai Mara Game Reserve.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mostly I'm still trying to get through all the old stuff. Someone mentioned Stigand, great stuff.
Of the newer stuff, Ron Thompson''s books are standouts, as are all of Richard Harland's. Sten Cedergren's was fun.

Under my Christmas tree was a Kindle. It will accompany me on the flight to Zim next month. I've downloaded Henry Stanley's "How I found Livingstone," Patterson's "Maneaters of Tsavo," as well as Burton's and Speke's books, all free. "Moby Dick" and "Huckleberry Finn" were like a dollar.

It would be nice if Kindle editions were available for some of Safari Press's editions, no Ruark, Bell, or Taylor available.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It's not Africa, but Books of Jim Corbett, (Leopard of Rudraprayag, The Temple Tiger & Treetops, Man-Eaters of Kumaon, My India and Jungle Lore) are to me some of the most exiting books about hunting dangerous game I've read. Months of the Sun is a very good read as well.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Try a couple of Peter Flacks books.
"Heart of an African hunter" or "Tales of a trophy hunter in Africa". Both are good! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met johnny at one of the recent DSC monthly meetings by chance. He seemed like a realy great guy, and since then I have read both of hisbooks. I both the hunting perspective he gives as well as the insight to camp life and some of the characters he has hunted with.
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I am reading Johnny Chilton's book "Out of Bullets" it's a very fine read. I want his first book now "A Bullet Well Placed."

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote