THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: What to do with a pair of 1917 actions.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to do with a pair of 1917 actions.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I already have the 375 H&H covered so I would like something a little different. A true big bore on one of them is a definate, but I am not sure of what caliber. I still want it to be practical and not kill me to shoot it. (finacially or physically) I really have no big bore knowledge and no idea what calibers this action can readily handle.

The second I thought would make a nice Plains Game rifle. Once again I am unsure of caliber. 300 H&H has a lot of appeal for me on this one.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a matched set.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
.300 & .400 H&H's

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You could be esoteric and do a pair in .350 & .416 Rigby. My choice would be .340 Weatherby and .458 Lott.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd send one of them to Tom Burgess, Stephen Heilmann, or Mark Penrod for a .416 Rigby barrel-action. After it's done, I'd send the metalwork to James C. Tucker for a stock.

Sell the other action, or else just keep it for a rainy day.

AD

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I just traded for a pair of 1917 actions. I have several ideas in mind but some outside input would be appreciated. One idea I am considering is a matched pair with one in 35 Whelen and the other in 458 WM or 470 Capstick. (caalibers are not set in stone). Whatever I decide it will take me a few years to make happen but it will be fun to toy with different ideas between now and then.

I am asking here instead of the gunsmithing because I would like the eventual rifles geared towards Africa.

If you were in this dilemna what would you do?

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of a 35 whelen I would consider a 9.3 x 62 since it is legal for DG and has better ballistics than the 35 wh.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote