New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nicky Blunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just received a letter from Susan Blunt informing me that Nicky Blunt passed away September 10 at his home in Sedbergh Cumbria UK.

He was 78 and died of cancer- melanoma.

Its tough news for me- we hunted 3 times together in Tanzania- some 63 days. Nicky was a true gentleman, great naturalist and hunter and tracker and was widely respected in his profession.

During his long career he hunted professionally in Uganda, Kenya, CAR, Zambia, Tanzania and did extensive scouting in the DRC.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, Susan, two daughters Allison and Caroline and one son Francis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.

Met him once at the conventions in the early 90’s.

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the honor and privilege of sharing camp with Nicky several times and as a hunter was second to none.

One of his many feats immediately comes to mind:

A client of the late George Mtoto shot a Leopard and in the course of examining the "deceased" cat which suddenly came back from the dead, George ended up being severely mauled and had to be evacuated immediately. the late and experienced Farouk was brought in the next day to pick up from where George left off - he too got a going over by the wounded Leopard and he too had to be immediately evacuated. The wily, patient and methodical Nicky was called in to take care of business - needless to say he got the job done without any further "adventures".

Here too was the man who put ethics first and foremost: there was not a chance in hell that he would let you spot and shoot from the vehicle or to stop and allow you to get out and shoot. He would drive on for at least 500 yards and then initiate a stalk back to where the animal had been spotted.

Rest his Soul, a good man through and through.

Condolences to the Family.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
I had the honor and privilege of sharing camp with Nicky several times and as a hunter was second to none.

One of his many feats immediately comes to mind:

A client of the late George Mtoto wounded a Leopard and in the follow up, George was badly mauled and had to be evacuated immediately. the late and experienced Farouk was brought in the next day to pick up from where George left off - he too got a going over by the wounded Leopard and he too had to be immediately evacuated. The wily, patient and methodical Nicky was called in to take care of business - needless to say he got the job done without further "adventures".

Here too was the man who put ethics first and foremost: there was not a chance in hell that he would let you spot and shoot from the vehicle or to stop and allow you to get out and shoot. He would drive on for at least 500 yards and then initiate a stalk back to where the animal had been spotted.

Rest his Soul, a good man through and through.

Condolences to the Family.

Yes, I remember that or perhaps another leopard story I believe the chui crawled in a hole and Nicky went in and finished him off with his 458- same story- Naberera I think?

I'll say this- we walked A LOT and we earned those trophies the right way. We'd see something and he'd gun the gas and then would cut the engine and we'd coast the 500 yards and then get out for the stalk.

He loved leopard hunting and was very proficient at it- great fun- walking into the blind in stocking feet and making the sure the path to the blind was like walking on talcum powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Nicky, one more of the remaining legends gone.

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It’s sad when I’m afraid to open the threads with just a name in the subject line.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news. Nicky was a legend and as mbogobutch said, the list of hunting legends is sadly declining. We lost Harry Selby earlier this year and now Nicky.

Condolences to his family.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Dale. Another Legend slips away.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very sad. I received a letter in August from Brian Herne just after Tony Dyer died. His last statement was, "We have lost a lot of old playmates in recent times."

That about says it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good friend of our family hunted with Mr. Blunt in 1970 in Uganda. The entire family of six was on safari with the dad, two sons and youngest daughter hunting. I remember them talking about the stories that Mr. Blunt told and they had some great 8mm film of the hunt and Mr. Blunt.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad news.

Sorry to hear of another legend passing away.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
True legend RIP .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Humble and gracious Professional

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Dale was kind enough to share some really great pics of Nicky from 1989 in Nkululu GCA in Tanzania.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
A bloke I would have liked to have met.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A legendary hunter of the old guard. He saw an Africa that is no more. I envy the experiences his eyes have seen.
Lots of great men are waiting for him at the campfire on the right side of the river. You earned it sir!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Another great African hunter gone to his rest. May he rest in peace.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. A little more of our history is gone.

Nicky and his father David were both EAPHA members. David Blunt was a game warden in Tanganyika, who wrote the book "Elephant".

If anyone wants to post photos, I can probably find a couple. Feel free to pm me and I can send them to your email address. If not, that is fine too.

RIP

Posts: 817 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
More pics courtesy of AlisaWheels:

David Blunt, Nicky's father and Tanganyika Game Warden.

The following photo is courtesy of Judy B. (The lovely face in the center of the photo) This is the EAPHA meeting from 1971. Nicky Blunt is somewhat hidden and is seated sixth from the right. Tony Dyer passed away a couple months ago. He is seated with the briefcase fourth from the left.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate your posting the photos Baxter!

Posts: 817 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Dale and Bob!

Thanks for letting us walk down memory lane.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote