Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards Sling???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

I'm considering the Westley Richards canvas sling for my next African trip.

I know some of you use this sling. Could any of you please tell me, are the leather attachments on this sling sized for 1" swivels?? Or does one need narrower (or even wider) swivels for this particular sling??

Thanks very much for your time in advance.

- mike

[URL=http://www.westleyrichards.com/show/leather_3_2slings.html]http://www.westleyrichards.com/show/leather_3_2slings.html[/URL]

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike, just got off the phone with WR, the fellow
measured it for me and said it was one inch, hope this helps.

Robb

Posts: 12 | Location: Fl, USA | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robb, you are a scholar and a gentleman!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
mho: Let us know how it looks and works with your rifle once you get it. By the way, which rifle will you be using it with?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have been using that type of sling on all my big bore doubles for years. They work fine. Of course mine came from Cabelas and cost $25 and the same sling I have is available at Trader Keiths for $50 ( see the picture on page 50 of the Gunlist) The leather is of equal quality to WR and the brass fittings are all cast solid brass. Mine have 2 rubber threads woven into the inside that keeps them from slipping. Only basic difference is the ones I have are a lighter color than the WR ones. I have one that has been used for about 5 years (it's on detachable swivels) and I have had it on my 470 double and numerous other bolt big guns. When it got dirty, and they will of course,
I just very carefully washed it with some good detergent and cleaned the leather with saddle soap and it looked like close to new. I like them very much and theyare the only sling I use. I even got special 1" swivels from NECG to use on my Heym double as it has the different size european swivel studs. Highly reccomend them. The ones I have have the leather ends sown to the canvas which I like as it keeps the brass attachment shown on the WR away from the gun as mine don't have that piece of brass..

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Roland Ward sells a similar looking one in green webbing for $34.00

http://www.rowlandward.com/product/fd3e6f76-4aaa-4098-84dc-a5e2ce5b017d.aspx

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Jeffs outfitters has them in 3/4" and 1" for $39.95.

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the WR slings as well as one of the Trader Keith slings. The WR sling is a full 2 inches in width as opposed to 1.5 inches in the Trader Keith version... huge difference in weight distribution and comfort. The photo on the WR web site is not truly representative of the actual sling. The actual sling has the sewn in loops with brass studs just like the Trader Keith and Cabelas slings, therefore there is no issue with the brass buckles and such on the end loops. The WR are a little expensive but well worth it IMO.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote