THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    375 CHATFIELD-TAYLOR ON AFRICAN GAME?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 CHATFIELD-TAYLOR ON AFRICAN GAME?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

I'm from Brisbane Australia and I am new to this forum. I have a 375 Chatfield-Taylor (375/338 developed by RF Chatfield-Tayor of 416 Taylor fame).

It was built for me by my brother-in-law, a gunsmith, on a Ruger M77 rebarrelled with a .375 barrel and chambered for 375 Chatfield-Taylor. I have had it for years, shot it now and again (mainly at the rifle range) but only last week decided to sit down and work out some loads for it. I found a load with the 270 gr Hornady spire point that shot a 3 shot group of just over 1" at 100 yards. I was happy with that as the load (using Australian ADI powder which is sold and repackaged in the US by the likes of Hogdson) AR2208 (similar to 4064 see http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp). Although I didn't chonograph it, it seems to be getting similar ballistics as the original British 375 H&H load.

I like to hear from any others who have this wildcat cartridge and have used it on African game (preferably dangerous game). I'd like to hear of your experiences with it, perhaps photographs, etc.

Regards,
Magnum

Posts: 62 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum, I would chronograph the loads to make sure of the velocity. I doubt anyone here would reccomend the 270 grain hornady for buffalo unless maybe you could be assured of a broadside rib shot as they aren't really tough enough for those animals. I would work up some loads with premium bullets. Hunting a large animal like that the accuracy doesn't have to be perfect such a moa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used it and the 416 Taylor a bunch in the US, and they duplicated the 375 H&H, and 416 for the most part, but so what? they are wildcats the H&H isn't..I can get properly marked brass with the H&H and 416 and they work in the same action..I saw no point at all with the 375 or 416 Taylor, they were just a problem...so I dumped them...The bolt throw? thats a joke, its less than a half inch.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Magnum,

Your .375 Taylor is very similar to my .376 Steyr, I expect no animal will notice any difference in terminal ballistics.

The Steyr factory ammo comes with the 270 grain Hornady loaded, and I found it soft when I used it on a large eland. The bullet did not make it through the shoulder and into the lungs, so I needed two more shots. Eric Ching ("Slingster") shot an eland also with his .376, and his comments sound like mine. I don't know of any African dangerous game taken, but it has been used on Alaskan bears (9 killed last count I had).

I would use it on Cape buffalo with a super premium bullet, a 270 grain FailSafe or a North Fork.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote