New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best gift ever given at Christmas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best gift you have ever given at Christmas?

PS- Hunting related as it needs to fit this thread

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mom was given a clean bill of health after surviving breast cancer the day before Christmas eve 1974. I was 13 years old . I have been given some great presents since, but I found out the real meaning of the word "GIFT" on that day.
Mom has been gone for five years now, but we had many more years of a really great woman when she won that fight and gave our family the greatest Christmas ever.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed your PS Dogcat. Mine was not related to hunting, but that lady was a great supporter of my dedication to the sport so it all connects.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was about 15 my dad had lost his job and was doing some consulting. One of his clients stiffed him out of several thousand dollars, a lot of money back then. I got a pair of boots, just ordinary pull on boots and a deer hunting trip on a friends place. It was a great Christmas because it was so difficult and yet there was something I had wanted under the tree. My dad was not down long, he was a fighter and I wish he were here today for one more hunting trip.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I added the PS to avoid getting this thread sent elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

That J.C.Higgins 16ga pump gun that my folks gave me when I was about 12-13 yr. old is probably the hunt related gift I remember most. I think it was $65 and my folks really couldn't afford it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, it was my dad letting buy a Remington 870 with money I had saved. He was not a hunter, but allowed me to start down this path.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best friend and hunting buddy gave me a Dakota 76,(404 Jeffery) last christmas. In part because I was responsible for introducing him to hunting in the rockies, but even more importantly to AFRICA.

Now I have to go back to Zim or Tanz. at least one more time, or two, just to give the 404 a proper christening.

There is no way I can respond in kind but I am very grateful.

Merry Christmas,
Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My best gift from my grandfather at Christmas 1945 when I was 9, was a sleek little S/S 410 shotgun that had belonged to my uncle when he was a kid, who was killed in WWII,. That meant I now had a good shotgun, to go along with my mod62 Winchester single shot 22. Man I was flush for hunting on my grandfather's ranch in the North end of the Texas hill country .

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best gift to me is something that I REALLY want but just can't justify buying for myself, and someone surprises me with it. One year I was admiring one of Patrick Mavros' silver African sculptures at SCI, and my wife sneaked back and bought it for me, and had it shipped from Zimbabwe. It remains my favorite gift. I really did not expect to get it. Smiler

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be so predictable, but it was a little baby, in a stable in Bethlehem, about 2,000 years ago. he became a carpenter by trade. Nothing else really matters, not even SCI vs. DSC!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16625 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Staying within the confines of this thread, I still haven't gotten that "Best gift ever" as nobody has ever given me a 28 day all expenses paid safari to Tanzania! Wink

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second best was in the 50's and times were desperate each of us received some rock candy and a few oranges. Mom is past 90 now dad gone.Yet that is the one best remembered. First.. Bill got it.

Elton Rambin

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
My dad gave me an H&R single shot 12ga, he didn't hunt or even own a gun, but that's what I wanted to do and he always supported my ambitions even if he didn't quite understand them.
The next day, he and my uncle took me "hunting", we walked out behind my uncle's house, through a pecan orchard, it probably wasn't more than 10-15 acres. About mid way through our walk a bobwhite flushed, I fired and missed. I couldn't have been happier if I'd a shot a 100lbs Elephant. What a rush. I was a HUNTER! Changed my life forever.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I think the best Christmas is the one we are having right now. Other than that my father knew that I wanted a model 70 classic .300 with a BOSS and that was what I received,however, the flu got me down and I did not appreciate it(at the time). On the bright side I have not missed with that rifle and always think of him every time I shoot it. Thanks Dall85 for everything you have done, especially being there for me. Three trips to Africa don't hurt either!!!

Aden

Posts: 1 | Location: Memphis TN | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was 13, my Dad made sure a Remington BDL in 30-06 found its way under the tree. It was damn sure the finest firearm ever of steel and wood. Could not keep my eyes off of it, and couldn’t wait to shoot her.

My Dad was just as excited as I was. He was beaming!

On or way to the range, Dad did not bring his prized Colt Frontier Scout in .22 caliber. That pistol had made every trip to the range since I started shooting a pistol, and was given an almost altar-like place in the home. Always handled as if it was a delicate and priceless Faberge egg. I didn’t think much of it at the time, Hell, we had a REAL deer rifle now.

A couple of years later, Mom slipped up and spilled the beans. My Remington BDL only made its way under the tree when Dad gave up his prized possession in a trade for the BDL. Dad never said a word.

That sacrifice never left my memory. Flash forward 35 years. Times a little tough, and short on cash. Still, I chanced upon a like new 1962 Colt Frontier Scout, in .22 LR, with those memorable stag horn grips. And the price was right. I was living about 1500 miles away at that time in another City, and travel was out of the question. Still, I lucked into a last minute airline ticket to my folks hometown.

So, unannounced, unexpected and uninvited, I headed off to the folks house on a late Christmas eve flight. Pulled up in front of the house and could see that my parents were still up but winding down. I knocked and walked through the door. They were shocked and very glad to see me. It had been a few years.

After we caught up on things, I handed Dad a roughly wrapped present. I watched intently as my hero of now 70 years slowly unwrapped the box under his now bespectled gaze. It took him a few seconds to focus – the last thing he ever expected. There were no words as he removed the Colt from the box, beaming with eyes that were now a little watery. His prize had made its return, after 35 year detour.

The best gift I ever received was seeing my Dad’s face when he held that Colt. After 35 years, I was finally able to understand how my Dad felt on that Christmas morning of my 13th year. Probably the best gift given, but by far the best I ever received.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Daisy BB gun at the age of 11!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Tough to top many of those above....

I have two that are a tie....one was the Daisy my maternal grandfather gave me (against mom's wishes) when I was about five. We have pictures of me unwrapping it. The other was the Remington 870 Wingmaster I got when I was about 12. I must have oiled that thing every day for a month after Christmas. Still own it and the matching one dad bought for himself that year. I have made it clear to my wife that if she or the kids ever sell them after my death, that I will haunt them for all eternity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a bit of a tease and Christmas a month before I turned 12 (legal hunting age in Pa) I had ask for a .22. There was nothing under the tree that resembled a rifle box. I was very sad and Dad said "Have you looked every where in the room?" so I began a search of the room and behind the sofa was a rifle box which lifted my spirits to no end only to be brought crashing down when I lifted the heavy box and opened it to fina a lenght of pipe and a 2X4. Then the trears flowed and my mother was ready to kill him. During my search he went to another room and returned with a new Remington .22 hidden behind his back which he gaved me to stop the flow. That .22 is still in my gun safe 59 yrs later.

Lest anyone misunderstand that man was my father, my business partner (30 yrs until his death) and my BEST friend! Excuse me while I shed a tear.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS,

That all expense paid 28 day safari to Tanzania would even be better with Natasha Illum Berg as the PH.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
When I was 13, my Dad made sure a Remington BDL in 30-06 found its way under the tree. It was damn sure the finest firearm ever of steel and wood. Could not keep my eyes off of it, and couldn’t wait to shoot her.

My Dad was just as excited as I was. He was beaming!

On or way to the range, Dad did not bring his prized Colt Frontier Scout in .22 caliber. That pistol had made every trip to the range since I started shooting a pistol, and was given an almost altar-like place in the home. Always handled as if it was a delicate and priceless Faberge egg. I didn’t think much of it at the time, Hell, we had a REAL deer rifle now.

A couple of years later, Mom slipped up and spilled the beans. My Remington BDL only made its way under the tree when Dad gave up his prized possession in a trade for the BDL. Dad never said a word.

That sacrifice never left my memory. Flash forward 35 years. Times a little tough, and short on cash. Still, I chanced upon a like new 1962 Colt Frontier Scout, in .22 LR, with those memorable stag horn grips. And the price was right. I was living about 1500 miles away at that time in another City, and travel was out of the question. Still, I lucked into a last minute airline ticket to my folks hometown.

So, unannounced, unexpected and uninvited, I headed off to the folks house on a late Christmas eve flight. Pulled up in front of the house and could see that my parents were still up but winding down. I knocked and walked through the door. They were shocked and very glad to see me. It had been a few years.

After we caught up on things, I handed Dad a roughly wrapped present. I watched intently as my hero of now 70 years slowly unwrapped the box under his now bespectled gaze. It took him a few seconds to focus – the last thing he ever expected. There were no words as he removed the Colt from the box, beaming with eyes that were now a little watery. His prize had made its return, after 35 year detour.

The best gift I ever received was seeing my Dad’s face when he held that Colt. After 35 years, I was finally able to understand how my Dad felt on that Christmas morning of my 13th year. Probably the best gift given, but by far the best I ever received.

Jim,
Great story and great heart! Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Staying within the confines of this thread, I still haven't gotten that "Best gift ever" as nobody has ever given me a 28 day all expenses paid safari to Tanzania! Wink

DLS,
Sounds like someone close to you needs to receive one. Then you could go along to be sure all goes well.
Merry Christmas!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Sorry to be so predictable, but it was a little baby, in a stable in Bethlehem, about 2,000 years ago. he became a carpenter by trade. Nothing else really matters, not even SCI vs. DSC!

Bill,

There is no greater gift than grace and a chance at eternal life.

I should have titled this thread - "Second best gift ever given"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first year of law school my wife gave me a pair of neoprene waders (this was when they were still a new thing and fairly expensive, especially with school to pay for!) She doesn't hunt and rarely fishes, but she has been extrmely tolerant (if not understanding) of badly I, and now our sons, need to hunt and fish. She lets me spend thousands going hunting all over the place, and even lets me hang the mounts in the living room.

She's drawn the line at hunting elephant. A pity, but I have no right to complain.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this was the best but certainly the most memorable.
I received a Win 94; 30-30 when I was 8 years old at Christmas.
The next day we took it to the range to try it out. My father put the first shot absolutely perfect in the center of the target at 100 yards. I thought that gun was magic!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
My mom was given a clean bill of health after surviving breast cancer the day before Christmas eve 1974. I was 13 years old . I have been given some great presents since, but I found out the real meaning of the word "GIFT" on that day.
Mom has been gone for five years now, but we had many more years of a really great woman when she won that fight and gave our family the greatest Christmas ever.

Great gift, my wife is in chemo right now, and we pray and hope everyday that she gets a "clean bill" that would be a great Christmas gift next year!

On the hunting side, HK 300 given to me by my parents. My family farmed and ranched and money was always tight. This gun cost over $500 in the late 80's (lot of money) and it is what I really wanted. I kind of wished I would have kept it in better shape, but I hunted, and shot the hell out of that gun (its well loved). Still have it.

By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S210 at 2009-01-31

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a DR in 465H&H along with 200+ cases, well over 100 rounds of loaded ammuniton, dies, and several boxes of softs and solids and some T/C solids from North Fork, loaded regulated by JJ not too long ago? The rifle has some provenance, having killed several Elephant in the recent past and at least one Cape Buffalo.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Bill,

There is no greater gift than grace and a chance at eternal life.

I should have titled this thread - "Second best gift ever given"

Smiler

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The best gift for me was one I was able to give, or more accurately, to return.

My Father died when I was just a baby and years later a friend of the family taught me to shoot and took me hunting etc and gave me a lot of hunting experience I wouldn't otherwise have had.

Years later, this friend suffered heart problems and had to have a heart transplant and after that, he was pretty buggered up. So I taught his son to shoot, took him hunting and gave him his early hunting experience.

I'll never forget the Christmas when the boy was 12 or 13 and deperately wanted a leather cartridge belt and a few other shooting odds and sods such as shell decoys etc. I bought him everything on his hunting wishlist and packed it all into a saucepan set cardboard box and then wrapped it.

I took the prezzy over on Christmas morning and his face fell when he saw a big box labelled saucepans........ but absolutely lit up when he saw the contents.

I've never forgotten the smile on that lad's face on that Christmas morning. He's just turned 40 and now has kids of his own but we're still in touch and he still talks about that morning.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
The best gift for me was one I was able to give, or more accurately, to return.

My Father died when I was just a baby and years later a friend of the family taught me to shoot and took me hunting etc and gave me a lot of hunting experience I wouldn't otherwise have had.

Years later, this friend suffered heart problems and had to have a heart transplant and after that, he was pretty buggered up. So I taught his son to shoot, took him hunting and gave him his early hunting experience.

I'll never forget the Christmas when the boy was 12 or 13 and deperately wanted a leather cartridge belt and a few other shooting odds and sods such as shell decoys etc. I bought him everything on his hunting wishlist and packed it all into a saucepan set cardboard box and then wrapped it.

I took the prezzy over on Christmas morning and his face fell when he saw a big box labelled saucepans........ but absolutely lit up when he saw the contents.

I've never forgotten the smile on that lad's face on that Christmas morning. He's just turned 40 and now has kids of his own but we're still in touch and he still talks about that morning.

THAT, my good friend Steve, is what Christmas is all about, IMO! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Steve! Great story.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
What made it even nicer was that he and his family came over a few years ago, and I took his young son out for his first ever buck.

As an aside, we were driving back through the tribal heartlands and the Zulus must have had something special going on because every now and again, we'd drive past an occasional Zulu maiden in full traditional dress of beads round the head and waist, short skirt and bare breasts etc....... after a while, I glanced in my rear view mirror and noticed the lad was very interested. So I said, hey Lee, I hope you're paying attention, bacause they don't often dress like this and it'll probably be a long time before you see this kind of thing again........ he came straight back at me with a BIG smile and a "COR, I'LL SAY!!!!"

Everyone in the truck fell apart laughing!!!!! jumping jumping

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed reading about the gifts received at Christmas. Unfortunately, I never received any outdoor type gifts. For my wife, I would mark up Cabela's and other catalogs of things I'd like, but got things I never would have asked for from Penney's, etc. Now you know one of the reasons I'm now single...and having much better Christmases!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote