Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Croc.
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody know where I can find a 16' Croc for a client?

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
16" foot crocs are hard to come by anywhere, but they do exist in Cabora Bassa in Moz, ZambeI River and in Lake Kariba. All you need is some luck! Speak to Simon Rodgers about possibilities in Cabora!!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DVS

We can do this in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique

quote:
Originally posted by DVS:

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Thierry, will contact Simon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DVS

16 foot is a very big croc, I am not saying you will not find one easy in the wild but it will be very difficult,

I Know that there are some Big High Fence Reserves in SA that have stocked there dams and Rivers with Large Crocs,

If this client wanted a definite 16 foot croc and was willing to hunt a High Fence Reserve then I would go this way for sure,

No different to hunting any Plains game animal or Buffalo on a High Fence Reserve,

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this client wanted a definite 16 foot croc and was willing to hunt a High Fence Reserve then I would go this way for sure,No different to hunting any Plains game animal or Buffalo on a High Fence Reserve,

...Famous´so called Hunting in South Africa.

IMO the better should name it "Animal Shopping" in South Africa Big Grin

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

posted Hide Post
I am not interested in your personal opinion I am looking for a Croc, please refrain from making glib remarks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mbogo no one asked about your personal preference or opinion on hunting, all I am doing is answering a question honestly.

If a client is happy with hunting a croc in a dam or river in a fenced reserve then that is his decision and does not need comments from you,

I have shot crocs under both situations and enjoyed them all every time

One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
from my experience one of the 3 areas on the south bank of kaborabassa being Simon rogers area,Sable hills or tshumashato.

The zambezi delta is another option.There are big crocs in the delta just tough to get a clear shot with it being so flat.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your valued response!

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
DVSWe can do this in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique

Wow, that easy, huh? Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Please do not reply if you cannot give positive input.If you are bored reply to someone who is in the same frame of mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only place left in Africa that I would feel comfortable in guaranteeing a 16 foot croc+ would be Ethiopia if it ever opened up again,

My dad took one just shy of 20 foot just before it closed to trophy hunting,

JK

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]big croc waiting for its supper[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
We operate out of Sable hills next to Simon, there are some Bismarks around, but 16' is a fair sized gecko, they are there, but you will have to look hard.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Love to see a photo of that monster...
Please?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
DVS , 16 foot is a BIG croc. I think I agree with jkhunter about Ethiopia being the only place to feel comfortable of getting one -- if one could still hunt them there. I guess the question is : does your hunter expect a 16 foot croc or nothing , in which case you had better call it exactly right , not a few inches shy. I suspect your hunter already has another big croc and now wants croczilla . You've had some sound advise from some of our members . I would hunt Cahora Bassa and give it a good bash. I wish you luck.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Hey DVS, how's this for "positive input"?
If you don't want public feed back than send a PM, perhaps if you read between the lines of the posts you don't like, you would see their is some valuable insight there. Like, not listening to someone who says they will provide you with the 16' croc you desire?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 You ever been to the delta and hunted dedicated croc?

I own the area for 20 years and the biggest we shot was 5.35 meter =17.55ft no one says it easy but you take 10 days of dedicated hunting you got a very good change of getting one.
however there is no guaranties it is hunting these old boys are clever!

but perhaps you know my area better than I doo?

cheers

btw I am sure you can still find some 16ft in caborra bassa.

quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
DVSWe can do this in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique

Wow, that easy, huh? Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkhunter:
The only place left in Africa that I would feel comfortable in guaranteeing a 16 foot croc+ would be Ethiopia if it ever opened up again,

JK

Did the hunt took place in lake Chamo?, Ive seen some monsters come out of that place

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
No
I own the area for 20 years and the biggest we shot was 5.35 meter =17.55ft no one says it easy but you take 10 days of dedicated hunting you got a very good change of getting one. however there is no guaranties it is hunting these old boys are clever!
This is different than how you answered the question originally.
DVS asked "Does anybody know where I can find a 16' Croc for a client?"
To which you replied "We can do this in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique"
That is a bold statement of fact that from my limited experience would be misleading.

I would never suggest such a thing
cheers
I have hunted 10 dedicated days for Croc on the South Shore of Cahorra Bassa, and would agree there are some dinosaurs there, never say a 16 footer though. And their was no talk from the other guy in camp doing the same that he had seen one, or the outfitter stating that he had ever taken one that size in his multiple years of hunting that shoreline (that I can remember)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Big crocs are not in areas with human traffic for these old boys you have to look in remote lagoons deep in the swamps they like to be left alone like grumpy old man. Just like me.
they not sunbathing on sandbanks but deep in the papyrus and reeds. old

the original question was where I can find a 16' Croc for a client of which I replied We can do this in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique so what is about misleading? perhaps you know the sizes of the more than 2000 estimated crocs in the delta?

Just to lay it out for you yes we have some of these yes we can find them but it is hard work and it takes time then the hunter must do his part.

based on my "limited" knowledge of the area since 1994 I done countless hours of flying for game counts and anti poaching plus having more than 30 scouts on the ground 365 days a year and I myself walked the area 135000 hectare for 2 decades

you welcome to check for yourself I am always willing to learn.

cheers

quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
No
I own the area for 20 years and the biggest we shot was 5.35 meter =17.55ft no one says it easy but you take 10 days of dedicated hunting you got a very good change of getting one. however there is no guaranties it is hunting these old boys are clever!
This is different than how you answered the question originally.
DVS asked "Does anybody know where I can find a 16' Croc for a client?"
To which you replied "We can do this in the Zambezi delta in Mozambique"
That is a bold statement of fact that from my limited experience would be misleading.

I would never suggest such a thing
cheers
I have hunted 10 dedicated days for Croc on the South Shore of Cahorra Bassa, and would agree there are some dinosaurs there, never say a 16 footer though. And their was no talk from the other guy in camp doing the same that he had seen one, or the outfitter stating that he had ever taken one that size in his multiple years of hunting that shoreline (that I can remember)

One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DVS:

Dries,
Our area in Mozambique - Zambesi Delta
I have end of September open.
Regards,

Posts: 2018 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
[URL= ]big croc waiting for its supper[/URL]

14ft if he's tail is intact :-)

Posts: 2018 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could you please send quote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If a client is happy with hunting a croc in a dam or river in a fenced reserve then that is his decision and does not need comments from you,

I have shot crocs under both situations and enjoyed them all every time

jkhunter

Always remember hunting behind the fence is collecting or Shopping animals. Dont discredid real hunting in the wild.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Areas for big Crocs are basicly the entire Selous River Systems. Kilombero and the Luhombero Rivers are famous in the past for big lizards and i have seen in the Ruaha and Rufiji / Ulanga Rivers very big Flatdogs. Freischütz is correct you Need plenty of time and luck to get the real big ones. Yes the are still out there.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have never taken a 16 foot nor ever seen one taken in Zambia. People talk of 16 feet but they are extremely rare.

The crocs I have seen come out of Caborra have been big but again I cannot remember seeing a true monster.

I am sure there is a few around but the chances of them lying out broadside in front of your rifle at 50 metres is very remote indeed.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mbogo

I don't need to remember anything as I do not believe that hunting behind a fence is just collecting as you put it, and I am sure there are many here that would agree with me,

If that is your choice and opinion then that is great for you,

I hunt around a 100 Days a year and I wish that it could all be in a pure environment as you do.

when I get the opportunity to hunt a true free area then great, but I hunt many times a year behind fences and its great hunting and great times.

I have had many trying and difficult hunts and experiences behind fences and I will continue to,

If a hunter hunts a croc in a Fenced reserve and not in a Free Range River system in Africa,I will not judge him at all and see his trophy as less special to him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Justin,

I have seen this picture before and congratulations to your father. A dinosaur indeed.

I do think shooting a croc in a fenced environment can hardly be described as sporting.

One of the reasons I like hunting croc is that with bait you are never sure what will turn up and the anticipation and expectation is to be savoured.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew yes it was a monster of note,

The Day Ethiopia opens again i will have the first tag that comes available,

I agree that it is a total differnt experiance, but to the Hunter who has that as his only option, i see it no different to hunting Buffalo behind a fence,

You know what you are going to get and make peace with it as your choice of Safari,

I my self love croc hunting in the wild for the reason you just mentioned, but the industry is Big and there are not enough clients able to experiance that,

Maybe I am softened to the differnece because its the same argument I listen to every day in the beef Industry,

Feedlot Grainfed Beef is not real beef it has to be free range Grass fed,

to me Beef is Beef and in hunting, as long as its Legal and ethically exepted by the Client as what he wants to do, then Hunting is Hunting be it High fence of Free range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn that is a big croc!
Looks like a freakin dinosaur Eeker

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
But you must admit a high fenced croc does sound a tad ridiculous?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big was it?

quote:

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
jkhunter,
I think that is the biggest croc I have ever seen in a picture, trophy or otherwise....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
But you must admit a high fenced croc does sound a tad ridiculous?

I Agree 100% but I have shot a few myself for the skins in a fenced area was still fun.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
You hunt for fun? Seriously.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Croc are one of my favorite hunts with both rifle and videocamera. The croc pictured above is simply a "dream come true" of the species. One of the best trophies collected in Africa for a while in my opinion. My personal biggest was a bit over 14 ft out of Mozambique. The largest we have ever filmed was a 15'3 with Chifuti in the Zambezi. Any hunter that would pass on a fat 14 footer is one tough dude, unless he already had a croc of that size. But 16 ft lizards are out there. I saw one in the Tanzania in the late 80's that I know was 16, but no tag. I still dream of that guy. Good luck on your quest.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
You hunt for fun? Seriously.

Fairgame, check out www.karanbeef.co.za and you will see why JK is able to hunt for fun!
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote