Find
Notify
Tools

Solids for 416
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
I know this has been discussed a million times but..

Opinions on the Hornady 400gr solids? Hunting elephant this fall and can't get my preferred Barnes Banded solid bullets to load.. Looking at the Nosler solid as well..

Thoughts?

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw Trophy Solids.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Went thru this a couple years ago, getting ready for Caprivi elephant trip. Wanted the Federal Premium 416 Rigby, with the Barnes solids, the flat nosed ones, as I had used those the previous year with good results, the rifle was already regulated with them, and the TSX also shoot to the same spot.

But.... that boolet is not available from Federal anymore, now its the Trophy solids. And can't buy the bullets from Barnes, because of that AP thing. Didn't have time to work up new loads anyway.

Ended up buying the Barnes Vortex, it has the right bullet, loaded to same velocity, and shoots in the right place. It also shoots perfectly in line with the TSX, problem solved.

As far as performance on game, shot two elephants that trip, results were great with the solids. Shot a few things with the TSX, as far as I can tell, the Vortex is the equal of the old Cape Shok Federal offering, and costs less as well. This was with the 416 and the 375, which I basically went thru the same thing with. Just didn't shoot any elephants with the 375. Did shoot a ton of plains stuff, and one very big, very close buff, one shot was enough, with the 375 TSX.

Hope this helps.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutting Edge Bullets. Their solids are second to none!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot Hornady DGS and DGX's in Zim a few years ago. Soft went through a buff broadside and lodged under the skin on the far side, nicely mushroomed, and did a lot of damage. Put a solid through broadside for insurance after the bull was down, and it whistled all the way through with no problems.

Also killed two hogs with soft points and got full penetration on them, one was end for end, so about 4 feet of hog.... Turns out 416 Rigby is plenty of gun for wild hogs!

So I guess not a ton of experience with them, but no complaints and I like that the softs and solids shoot to the exact same point of impact (with the same load of course), and they both group nicely out of my rifle.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
What do you mean you can't get the Barnes to load? They are deadly accurate in my RSM and have killed two bulls without any incident.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
What do you mean you can't get the Barnes to load? They are deadly accurate in my RSM and have killed two bulls without any incident.

Sorry - meant I cannot buy the bullets to load myself... That stupid ATF ruling crap...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I thought the .416 caliber was NOT on the list. That said, I don't see them available on the Barnes website.

In any event, I've switched to the CEB bullets as they are everything the Barnes Banded was but even better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try calling Barnes.

I was able to buy them. The .375 and smaller were the ones that were banned. If you want the flat point, you need to get them direct from the factory.

As to other options, Northforks work well. For me they were more accurate than the banded solids, but I couldn't get them to impact with the softs.

The Nosler solids remind me of the old barnes X- there is a lot of surface that the rifling is engraving. I was not real impressed.

Swift just came out with a new solid- you could try them.

The aforementioned CEB bullets are an option.

Then there are the old style solids- Woodleigh and the Hornady DGS. Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer solids are probably only available as factory ammo. They are a old style bullet also.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Fucking BATFE
Thats why people are so tired of governments
Do these people ever get it?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They won't until we band together and call their hand on this nonsense. If we could get together as a group, it's too large for them to deal with, and we could start turning this mess around.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you telling me those asshats are banning big bore solids? YGTBSM!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Normal solids - that are jacketed bullets with lead - have worked for many years.

Some would tumble and bend, and not penetrate as much as if they had stayed straight.

The same thing happens to solids made of either brass or copper too.

I would prefer to use a solid of either copper or brass, and avoid anything that has lead in it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Barnes Solids availability, check Graf & Sons, I bought some off of their website very recently and they showed to be in stock last night.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer African Grand Slams....

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm writing this looking at the tusks from my last and final Elephant. It was shot with a 416Rigby using Woodleigh solids. He really didn't complain which bullet I used he just died. The previous Elephant I shot did the same thing though it was shot with a 470NE with Woodleigh solid. I DID recover that bullet and it was VERY slightly mishaped but on first glance it looks like it could be reused.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest CEB. Used them on an elephant in Namibia. Wound up unknowingly close to the
Botswana border when elephant was shot. Bullet
definitely landed in Botswana on a side brain. Good bullet and good company. They are very helpful if you have questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to barnes you can still get them in .416

Please note the Banded Solids components and VOR-TX Safari ammunition products loaded with Banded Solids not included in the aforementioned calibers (e.g. 416, 470 and 500) and TSX bullets are not subject to the current armor piercing classification and continue to be available for purchase.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used North Fork flat nose solids on elephant in Botswana and rhino at Mkuze and really liked the penetration I got on both animals. This was with a .416 Rigby. MMP

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
416 Rigby is plenty of gun for wild hogs!

I found out that my 416 worked well on hogs too and one coyote

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Try these guys http://www.reloadinginternatio...llets&sort=1a&page=5

I found them very helpful and I imported CEB solids & HP bullets into NZ! So your state side deal should be easy.

Very helpful people & very easy to deal with.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11209 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for cutting edge bullets.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
This is what you need!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
This is what you need!

Yes.

Or any mono metal solid.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Talk to Michael458. I think the 400 gr CEB can get a bit long - the fact that it is brass AND that it has the driving bands with bore riding shank will make it longer. You may have to compress the loads or drop powder charge & velocity. Their 350 gr solid may be a better choice.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11209 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Speaking of Barnes Solids availability, check Graf & Sons, I bought some off of their website very recently and they showed to be in stock last night.

Karl

Graf & Sons does have the 350gr Barnes banded solids!! They would match my 350gr Barnes TSX which group great out of my 416 Ruger. 350 gr should be fine for Tuskless I would think...

Opinions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

Karl

Graf & Sons does have the 350gr Barnes banded solids!! They would match my 350gr Barnes TSX which group great out of my 416 Ruger. 350 gr should be fine for Tuskless I would think...

Opinions?

I took a very large bodied bull in 2012 with 350 gr CEBs in my 416 B&M. had complete side to side penetration so I feel the 350 gr is enough. I would recommend trying the CEB for point of impact also. Esp if the barnes is the round nose design.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
This is what you need!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:

Opinions on the Hornady 400gr solids?

Used a Hornady DGS (in a .500 NE) on an elephant bull about a week ago. Worked perfectly and I would have no reservations about using again.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small sample size. Two buffalo and and one tuskless with Hornady 400 grain solids in my .416 Rem. One shot was all that was needed although I put a couple of extras in to be sure. I recovered one follow up bullet shot length-wise in a buffalo and it was capable of being reloaded and shot again. I ran into Steve Hornady at the Harare airport on the way out and told him it was in good enough shape to reload and and he said, "Oh please don't we need the business..." You can spend a lot more but i can't see the point when you get results like I did.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used 3 Hornady DGS solids in 416 Rem Mag on 2 buffalo and an Eland. All did a perfect job.

Accurate, dependable, available
Mike

Watch the impact!
Mike

Posts: 29 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote