THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Non-trophy Elephant available in Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-trophy Elephant available in Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I have one 7-day hunt that can be scheduled during the last 10 days or so of July. This is for a non-trophy, non-exportable Bull Elephant. It is in the Caprivi Strip of Namibia.

7-day hunt package cost - $8900

Includes:
Trophy fee on Elephant
7-days daily rate
15% Namibian VAT
Flight from Windhoek to Caprivi and return

Additional days can be added for plainsgame for $350/day.

Additional trophies available in Caprivi:
Impala - 300
Warthog - 300
Zebra - 650

Additional animals available on game ranches:
Kudu - $850
Gemsbuck/Oryx - $400
Springbuck - $350
Hartmann's Zebra - $700
Burchell’s Zebra - $650
Hartebeest - $450
Blue Wildebeest - $800
Common Impala - $400
Blesbok - $400
Warthog - $300
Eland - $1100
Steenbok - $275
Duiker - $275

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
That's a real good deal Wendell, as it even includes the airfare to Katima. For anybody not familiar with the area, typical mature Caprivi [Botswana] bulls are very large-bodied as compared to the ele's found in the Zambezi, Luangua, Selous and elsewhere. I hunted West Caprivi twice for other game, and saw a lot of elephant both trips.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Is it open ground, thick brush, mix, other?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell

Why are they shooting non-trophy bull elephants in Namibia?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The reason for this hunt is to provide an Elephant for the councils annual feast. They have not approved the trophy for export, thus the lower price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
The reason for this hunt is to provide an Elephant for the councils annual feast. They have not approved the trophy for export, thus the lower price.

Non-hunter cost?

What type (age or tusk size) of elephant are they looking for or is it whatever get in the way first?

Thanks,

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The ph is Vaughan Fulton, in his Salambala Conservancy.

Since it is a non-trophy Elephant, it can vary. Since it is in the same area that Vaughan does his trophy Elephant, he is not looking to take one of his trophy Elephant under a non-trophy permit.

You should expect a Bull with one broken tusk, one that will never make a trophy, a smaller tusked Bull. Weight could vary, but do not expect a big Bull. It is a 7-day hunt, so in reality the first suitable contestant should not be passed up. 20-30 lbs is a reasonable expectation, but it could be less!

This hunt is a good chance for someone who can not hunt a trophy Bull to experience an Elephant Bull hunt, at a reasonable cost.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Wendell -- I explained to my wife at great length last night what a great deal this was. However, I must report that she was not moved by my rhetoric.

Out of curiosity, since this is a non-exportable bull, do you get anything but pictures (elephant hair bracelet, any hide, etc.)? I am guessing not since you likely need a CITES export/import permit set for those.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sorry you were unsuccessful.

The law says you may not take anything out.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Non-hunter cost $50/day

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, question, What is the cost of a Trophy Bull in Namibia and what weight of Ivory can you realisticly expect. Is it long and thin like Tanz, short and thick like Bots or in between like Zim?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

This really is a great deal, however I am in bufflo mode at the moment.

Would it be possible to add a Caprivi buffalo hunt to the package? If so, at what cost?

Thanks.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Tony Short thick ivory. Expect a Bull in the 50's.

GA, PM sent.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Oops, what I meant was, expect a Bull in the 50's on his trophy hunt, not on this hunt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, Wendell, you got me excited there for a minute. Eeker I was just picking up the phone to call my bank and wire you the money.

THEN you made the second post! Frowner

But it's still a great deal. cheers

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I can not believe this hunt has not sold. The opportunity to hunt Jumbo for less than a buffalo! Does the cheif like buffalo...I might be willing to help him with a few meat bulls come june!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Wendell, I am still working on it. Will call soon as I have a couple things worked out. Wife not to impressed with my side either but not the only hold up.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
Wife not to impressed with my side either but not the only hold up.

Good luck!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
There is the opportunity to shoot a Buffalo on this hunt. Unfortunately, the community is not going to allow the export of the trophy. And the trophy fee is $2700.

If it appeals to you to shoot a non-trophy Buff for $2700, on top of the Elephant hunt cost, then, you can do it. I just wasn't sure there was much of a market for it, since you can not take it home ... maybe I am wrong???

GAHUNTER, I can guarantee you an Elephant over 50lbs on this hunt.

I mean the weight of the entire Elephant ... not just the tusks Big Grin