Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana for first Safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,
I have been driving myself insane trying to figure out where to go for my first safari. As much as I'd like to eventually hunt dangerous game, namely buffalo, I think plains game is a better choice.

Namibia seems great but it isn't quite the Africa I have dreamed of. Zimbabwe is more along the lines of what I imagine but probably a better spot for me to go when I want to take a buff.

I called Wendell Reich and he seemed to have the perfect choice for me, Botswana. I was under the impression that Botswana was very expensive and he said plains game was not but dangerous game was.

It seems like the perfect combination of what I'm looking for as far as I can tell. Kudu Eland, and Gemsbuck are high on my list along with a warthog.

I read that Botswana MAY close to hunting at some point in the future which is also a consideration.

Right now I'm thinking May 2009 in Botswana.

I'd appreciate any insight or recomendations you might have.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Namibia seems great but it isn't quite the Africa I have dreamed of.

How do you envision Africa? Tarzan swinging from a vine? Perhaps like Cameroon or CAR?

I've only ever been to Namibia once but got to travel 900 miles from Etosha Park in the north through the mountains, to east of Keetmanshoop in the semi-desert. Worlds apart in terrain. Then there's the Caprivi Strip. There's a lot to like in Namibia.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Namibia seems great but it isn't quite the Africa I have dreamed of.

How do you envision Africa? Tarzan swinging from a vine? Perhaps like Cameroon or CAR?

I've only ever been to Namibia once but got to travel 900 miles from Etosha Park in the north through the mountains, to east of Keetmanshoop in the semi-desert. Worlds apart in terrain. Then there's the Caprivi Strip. There's a lot to like in Namibia.

Being 32 the black in white movies of Tarzan are before my time not how I think of Africa. I picture it more like Kenya.

If I were to go to Namibia it would be in the wide open plains for plains game and most likely not Caprivi. I don't picture the jungles but just a little more bush/cover. A little less like New Mexico and Arizona. A few more trees etc.

The idea of hunting with Bushman in Botswana also sounds appealling.

I haven't ruled out Namibia if I can find the right place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the best place for your first Safari is where you decide to go. There are wonderful hunts available in each of the usual suspects in Africa. I have hunted in Botswana 3 times. In my humble opinion is is a simply spectacular place to hunt, first, second or whatever. If it meets your budget you will love it. If you go, make sure that you spend some time in the Okavango Delta. The only knock that people have ever had is the cost. Hunting in the Delta is not cheap, but as I said, spectacular. The hunting on private ranches is much cheaper and very good also. If you go to Botswana the only risk that you are taking is being spoiled.
Having said that, I'm sure that you would have a great time in Namibia, RSA or Zim. I believe that Tanzenia is primarily a BG location, although I'm open to correction by those who have more experience there.
Bottem line, pay your money and take your pick, it is rare to hear from anyone who had a bad hunt in Africa.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you want plains game only, you have plenty of choice for those species. RSA, Namibia & Botswana would be top of the list.

Most people tend to make their first African hunt a PG only hunt, but with airfares rising so quickly and time being such a valuable commodity nowadays, I sometimes wonder if PG only is the way to go. - Sure it'll cost more in the short term to make your first hunt a combined DG/PG hunt, but as it saves you so much money and time over the longer term, I reckon it's the way to go. - In Botswana for example, you can have a PG hunt where you can take non-exportable Elephants for an additional US$5K each or you can go for a combined Buff and PG hunt in many different countries. - Amongst the best options would be Tanzania which would be more expensive, or Zimbabwe which would be a less expensive option.

If you do choose Zim, you need to book with one of the better companies/PHs such as Ganyana or Ivan Carter who both post here, or John Sharpe, Ian Gibson, Buzz Charlton Roger Whittal or Andy Hunter etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise I think from Shakari.
Steve, well stated. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
Hey guys,
As much as I'd like to eventually hunt dangerous game, namely buffalo, I think plains game is a better choice.

Why?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any information available on-line regarding PG hunts in Botswana?? E.g. what species are available etc...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PG hunt in Botswana for those species will in all probability be based in the Kalahari and will be very similar to parts of Namibia so apart from a trip to the delta you will not get much different to an Arizona/ Mexico type hunt that you are trying to avoid. The right property with a good outfit in RSA will be another really good option for a good PG hunt. The Limpopo province has really good Kudu, Eland, warthog and good Gemsbuck plus a whole host of other pg species.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot to mention is that many people expect all the photo safari camps in the delta to be mega expensive. Some of the smaller private operations are extremely good value for money and prices are very fair. - So if you want to bring your wife/kids etc it's a good option for a few days before or after the hunt. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott450:
A PG hunt in Botswana for those species will in all probability be based in the Kalahari and will be very similar to parts of Namibia so apart from a trip to the delta you will not get much different to an Arizona/ Mexico type hunt that you are trying to avoid. The right property with a good outfit in RSA will be another really good option for a good PG hunt. The Limpopo province has really good Kudu, Eland, warthog and good Gemsbuck plus a whole host of other pg species.

Yes,
And the plains game hunting in the Tuli Block will be on cattle fenced ranches where the fences are no impediment to game going or coming as they please. Limpopo RSA is just across the "Greasey Green Limpopo River" and the hunting in those parts of Botswana and RSA is really all the same: good.
I did that for a week in 2001.
Then flew off to the Okavango for an add-on cape buffalo package. Stayed in one of those Disney-esque photo-safari camps and enjoyed the scenery after killing a cape buffalo on day one and a red lechwe on day 2.

I am now looking to much more varied terrain of RSA, and the Kalahari True Grit of Namibia or Botswana, for a return "safari." It is all appealing to me, especially mountainous RSA and the Sands of the Kalahari.

I only met one bushman in Botswana, our Okavango tracker named !Gho.
They are an unfortunately endagered subspecies in Botswana.
The gods must be crazy!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
... the "Greasey Green Limpopo River"...

...all set about with fever-trees... Rudyard remembered...

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my first safari in August '07. It was my first. Great choice and you can't go wrong. It was a bit expensive, but not outrageous. One of the draw backs was the licensing issue. You have to buy your licenses up front. In the Kalahari, you can get away with shooting an animal and getting a license later. You cannot do that in the Delta and it can be difficult to get licenses (I could not get a kudu or zebra license, though I wanted one).

My trip was outstanding. Spent time in both the Kalahari on the Namibian border and in the Delta. I hunted plains game and my father hunted buffalo and plains game. The buffalo hunting doubled the price.

PM me if you want additional details or information.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Rip and Mike,

For your edification. The great grey green greasy Limpopo, all set about with fever trees. Wink Nice to realise there really are fellow Kipling fans out there!

http://www.boop.org/jan/justso/elephant.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a lovely story, isn't it just!
- mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the entire set of stories were supposedly (loosely?) based on the old bushman stories of how the various animals got their physical attributes.

Such as

Leopard got his spots

Zebra his stripes

Camel got his hump

etc etc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Hey guys,
As much as I'd like to eventually hunt dangerous game, namely buffalo, I think plains game is a better choice.

Why?

I just figured it might be smart to ease myself into African Hunting and PG hunts are far cheaper. I would love to hunt buff and leopard though at some point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
If you want plains game only, you have plenty of choice for those species. RSA, Namibia & Botswana would be top of the list.

Most people tend to make their first African hunt a PG only hunt, but with airfares rising so quickly and time being such a valuable commodity nowadays, I sometimes wonder if PG only is the way to go. - Sure it'll cost more in the short term to make your first hunt a combined DG/PG hunt, but as it saves you so much money and time over the longer term, I reckon it's the way to go. - In Botswana for example, you can have a PG hunt where you can take non-exportable Elephants for an additional US$5K each or you can go for a combined Buff and PG hunt in many different countries. - Amongst the best options would be Tanzania which would be more expensive, or Zimbabwe which would be a less expensive option.

If you do choose Zim, you need to book with one of the better companies/PHs such as Ganyana or Ivan Carter who both post here, or John Sharpe, Ian Gibson, Buzz Charlton or Andy Hunter etc.

Thank you for the tips!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it true that where there is dangerous game you will not usually find PG and the other way around?

Even if I'm not hunting Elephant, Buff, Lion etc it would be a shame not to be able to see them while there.

I love the variety of terrain and animals you can take in RSA but put and take hunting is not for me and I would like the area to be as "wild" as possible.

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Is there any information available on-line regarding PG hunts in Botswana?? E.g. what species are available etc...

- mike

Hi Mike, you may also want to check out the folowing link: Hunt Botswana

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it true that where there is dangerous game you will not usually find PG and the other way around?

Geoff,

No that's not true, although what might have given you that impression is that some/many/most high game fenced areas (esp in SA) don't usually introduce large predators such as Lion for the obvious reason. Although it's not uncommon for these areas to also hold a few Rhino, Elephant or less commonly Buffalo. - If they have the large mammals, they'll have stronger and electrified fences. (in SA at least, this is a legal requirement)

Obviously the best and usually more expensive African hunting experiences are to be found in those totally unfenced true wilderness areas such as are found in countries such as Tanzania or in the Zambezi Valley of zimbabwe and Mozambique etc etc........ but if you feel you prefer to hunt somewhere that isn't quite as wild as that, you have the totally fenced areas in countries such as SA or some of the Namibian areas etc. - If you want somewhere inbetween, then Tuli Block Botswana might be the place for you. There are game and cattle fences there, but generally in bad condition, and the high Elephant populations in the area mean the fences get pushed down on a very regular basis. (see pic below as an example) Because of this you also get Lions etc wandering through the area as well.

As someone said, the Elephants in the Tuli area generally, wander a great deal and often cross into SA or stay on the Bots side to feed in the riverine habitat of the Limpopo. Usually, they can't go far into the SA side because the SA Gvt in recent(ish) years have been erecting a new fence along the border. - It's really killing the riverine habitat though, and this in turn is putting the other riverine species and the riverine habitat under ever increasing pressure. For example, the bushbuck females are now often forced to move their lambs further back into the less dense bush where in turn, the baboons and other small predators can kill and eat them. - Hence fewer bushbuck in the long term.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Geoff,
I started on a plains game hunt but know would recommend a Buff/ Plains game hunt for first second and third safari. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first hunt was a Buffalo/plainsgame hunt in the Okavango delta. I took a Buffalo, a kudu, atsessebe, an impala, a warthog and a red lechewe. It was fabulous. You can do a Buffalo in the Delta and plainsgame on a kalahari ranch nowdays. The advantages are: cost (only trophy fees rather than trophy and license fees), availability (gemsbok, eland and other species not resident in the delta) and the chance to hunt in two different habitats. That is precisely what I'll be doing this season.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote