New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant with Karl Stumpfe, Caprivi
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got in from an elephant hunt with Karl Stumpfe, Ndumo Safaris. I don't have time to post the whole story but I did want to put up a picture from my small camera. Karl will get me some better pictures when he has time between hunts.

Here it is:

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Congradulations, can't wait to here about the full hunt. Not many of those types of animals in west Texas is there.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Josh...sure is heavy. COngrats.
I am off to hunt with Karl on Thursday...can't wait.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice Josh! Which double did you use?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Searcy 375fl and it had a S&B 1.1x4 flahsdot in Talley QD's. I ended up being thankful that the scope was on it the morning that the shot developed, I'd have been screwed without it. We got a very fast initial shot looking straight into the rising sun. The bull was skiddish and within quick reach of a park boundary and escape. My initial shot was head on and low, the bull staggered and turned and I hit him again in the shoulder (Karl fired at this point and we think hit a front leg) and then we both fired again at his hip. We tracked him around 300-400 yds and I got a glimpse of his head, slightly turned, I fired and appear to have spined him in the neck and put him down for good. He fell on the side with the bullet holes so we weren't sure of the exact placements. My wife and I had to head to our next destination and were not able to stay and see the disection.

After the initial shots I found myself trying to run the elephant down, I am not sure what I thought I was going to do when I caught up to him face-to-face. While the trackers were following the blood trail I kept stepping all over then and getting ahead of them while Karl tried to slow me down. It was very strange, I didn't have any fear of the elephant at all, my only thoughts were to catch him fast and put him down before he could get to the park boundary. When I saw his head for the last shot, I didn't wait for anything, just fired fast. After I shot Karl told me that the elephant went down, I remember hoping it was the same elephant. I had been in such a hurry I didn't wait for Karl to tell me to shoot. Thankfully, I killed the right elephant.

After everything, I asked Karl if he could see the open sights on his rifle looking into the sun and he said he couldn't. The only thing I could see through my S&B was a glimpse of the red dot. I don't think the elephant was going to let us get another shooting oppurtunity and without the red dot for the first shot we would not have gotten him.

It was a great hunt and I am ready to go back.

josh

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice bull.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Josh, good one. Was Gottfried your tracker?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fjold, the trackers were a couple of Kavangos, Wilhelm and Petras. Ricardo was on the hunt as well as the NAFI female conservancy observer and one Caprivi hunting assistant (who tried hard, but was little help). Gottfreid was busy with camp duties and doing the driving. He was with us on the one day of plains game hunting we had time for; but Francois was the PH on that hunt.

Gotfreid has just got his Hunting Guide license. Which for those of you not familiar with the Namibian system is the lowest of the four guide levels. Hunting Guide, Master Hunting Guide, PH and Big Game PH.

My wife and would be pleased to hunt plains game on our next trip if Gotfreid is available. He is a good hunting guide and extremely honest. Just a plain good guy.

By the way, one of Karl's trackers got leopard chewed on the day we left Namibia. I don't know which one and apparently it was not overly serious. That should be quite a story, maybe Karl will have computer access in the next week or two and fill us all in.
j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh--Good to have you back. Good job and good shooting. The 375 Flanged seemed to have plenty of punch.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Those are some thick tusks on that old bull, or so it seems from the photo.

Good job, Josh, and congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bull. Great camo in the pic.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Josh, There was a Wilhelm on the hunt with me last year, a young, quiet guy. I remember that Gottfried had quite a sense of humor when you got to know him.

Karl seems to have all kind of interesting interactions with leopards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull!!! Congrats!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good elephant... Good shooting...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Is this the same elephant that is in the July Magnum Magazine?

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
ghundwan, of course not. That elephant was hunted by Erik Engelbrecht in the Ruacana area, this one was hunted by Josh in the Caprivi area. 2 different hunters, 2 diffenent areas. What made you think its the same bull?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
homer

I jumped the gun...... only read the full story in the magnum last night after the post - then realised it was most defiantly not the same one

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great elephant & GREAT PH. Congratulations! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote