THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    cell phone service, Namibia & Botswana

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cell phone service, Namibia & Botswana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a cell phone be rented or purchased in Windhoek that would be usable in both Namibia and Botswana, assuming coverage in the areas in question? I'm doing a ranch hunt in Botswana, followed by a week in the Caprivi, with a few days in and around Windhoek mixed in. I'm about as non-techie as it is possible to be and still be considered a sentient being. Amazingly, I've left this question until the day before I leave because only now is the pressure being applied here at home for me to call whenever possible.

Keep it simple! No big electronic or computer-type words please. Thanks

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
My US cell phone worked fine in both places, where there was coverage. You have to have an "international" phone ie tri band or quad band, and you have to add international roaming to your plan. AT&T and Verizon have this, because those are my carriers.

You will pay int'l roaming charges, but if you have a blackberry etc. you can also receive emails and respond while you are away.

Hop over to your cell phone store and see if your phone will work internationally.

I don't know about renting there, I have a small memory of a call rental place in the Windhoek airport, and I think I am sure they have em in Jo-Burg- don't know about the Caprivi re coverage, but on my Tuli hunts I had pretty good cell reception.

Good Luck

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing signs for cell phone rentals at the airport in Windhoek.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I've already checked with my local carrier (in Canada) and been told that the equipment is incompatible.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used my wife's cell phone (Rogers) in Namibia a couple of years ago .. very expensive but worked fine. I have bought a couple of cell phones while over there for 6 weeks .. that worked out fine ... (until I lost one and ran out of minutes on the second .. stupidly I had bought that particular phone in South Africa .. Frowner Couldn't buy more minutes in little town of Kamanjab, Namibia..)

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
If your cell phone is not compatible, you might consider renting a Sat-phone. The rates are reasonable and the phones can be rented either in the states or from various African sources.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can a buy a cheap cell phone in either Namibia or Botswana i.e $50, and buy 2 simcards one for Namibia and one for Botswana. Then its just a matter of buying enough airtime to last you for the duration of your trip. Which area in Botswana will you be hunting?

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rent a sat phone. Where we hunt in Namibia there is only very spotty cell phone coverage

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia uses the 900/1800 band. You can find a cell phone coverage map for it or any other country here http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

There was no cell phone signal at the farm where we hunted (in 2007, at least) about three hours south of Windhoek, but I used my regular cell phone with international calling enabled (AT&T) to make several calls when in the Windhoek vicinity.

I called my wife's regular cell phone from Namibia and talked to her in Mexico where she was vacationing with the "girls" while the "guys" hunted in Africa. Pretty cool technology to an old farm boy like me. The charges were pricey by the minute, but the minutes talked were so few that the cost was negligible compared to buying or renting a local cell phone. Besides, there is nothing the local cell phone can do that your regular one can't (provided it is a four-band phone with international calling enabled), and you don't have to remember a temporary phone number.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I had no trouble getting cell phone coverage in the Caprivi of all places, but as someone said, it is expensive. When I got home I realized that it would have been cheaper per minute to use my Sat phone. Who knew?

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

posted Hide Post
Got a world phone blackberry rental through work plan for trip over this past June. Just activated it and used in place of my standard Bberry while I had it, with same #. Thought was that because data was free, I could e-mail and only use voice service when necessary. Problem is data service is not available everywhere. Worked well in Frankfurt and in Windhoek proper but once we were out of town = no data service. Voice service still worked fine with fair signal most areas. Cost me $52 total. Only made about 10 minutes worth of voice calls while in Namibia. We were abot 5 hrs. NW of Windhoek.